Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Yak 54 offer - good value?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Yak 54 offer - good value?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2008, 05:39 PM
cappaj1
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yak 54 offer - good value?

I had a fella offer me a used Qui Que Somenzini Yak seventy something inch with an OS Max 160 two stroke in it and all ball bearing hi tech servos for $500. It has carbon fiber landing gear and was never crashed and in very good condition. The reason the guy gave me as to why he's getting rid of it is he's going with all gas powered planes and from I've seen of his other planes, this seems to be the case.

I think it's a 72 inch and is last years version of the current 73" being sold http://www.somenzini.com/html/aircraft/yak73.html

Is this a good deal? I'm thinking of offering $400. I'm taking a look at it tomorrow. Also, is it loud? The club is checking loud planes with a decibel meter and I think it has a Pitts muffler. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 09-18-2008, 05:51 PM
CGRetired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Yak 54 offer - good value?

There is all sorts of advice we could offer you with regard to this plane. It all surrounds your like or dislike of this sort of aircraft, if you really want it, or if it's just something to add to a 'hanger'.

I know what the OS 1.60 engine goes for, and the value of the aircraft is easy to find (new of course). The servos.. well, that's also easy to figure out.

If you want it, if you feel it's a good deal, and if you believe that after you buy it, it will do what you expect of it, then it's a good deal. If it does not meet your expectations, well, it's not a good deal.

Someone on here once said that paying more than 25% retail for a used aircraft is to much. I think that was his percentage, I might be wrong. But, that could be a good rule of thumb if it's just something you can add to a collection. If it's more than that, if, for instance, it's something you have always wanted, then, well, it's worth it.

It all depends on your perspective.

CGr.
Old 09-18-2008, 05:59 PM
Deathbunny_SG
My Feedback: (6)

Sounds like a pretty good deal to me. As long as it has decent stuff in it and its set up nice, that plane easly cost 1k+ to put together. If you end up not wanting the plane let me know I might be interested in it
Old 09-18-2008, 06:28 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

That's one of those deals that if you want it then ???? I just did A trade deal and came out good but it was nothing I would have ever spent money on. I wanted the Zen G-62 engine but the Giant Decathlon ARF?? Not really but sure, OK, it had A brand new Super Tigre 2300. It's OK but it would have been better with A gas engine. You need very deep pockets to fly A big glow engine, very fuel hungry! The Decath had crap for servos but I did make A lot of changes to the plane, that was one of them. In your case that's A lot of cash outlay for A used plane and engine so those BB servos would have to be some very good Digital BB servos for A cash deal. I like to trade things and leave cash out of my dealings. Depending on how bad you want it and what the servos are maybe 300 magic beans?? More if the servos are worth anything?? Just too many factors involved in deals!![:-]
Old 09-19-2008, 05:14 AM
doubledee
My Feedback: (4)

Appears to be a fair enough deal if the plane isn't beaten to death. A Yak is not a beginners airplane though, it is more an advanced intermediate flier's plane. I don't know how much flight time you have but, you may be spending 400-500 dollars just to see it crash. Just my opinion.
Regards,
doubledee
Old 09-19-2008, 06:06 PM
alfredbmor

A friend at the field use to have one, I do not remember which engine he used (2 years ago), then in a bad maneuver close to earth the plane crashed and all that was left were tiny wood sticks, some of them still glued in the ultracote, it is definitivily an advanced plane for an advanced pilot to enjoy it.
Another guy at the Santa Teresa Field has the same plane with the same OS engine, the elevation here is about 4,000 ft and it looks to me that the plane needs more engine to perform like it is intended to.
I would buy it if I could perform some 3D maneuvers like Quique, by now I am OK with my old Funtana 40 size which is not great like the yak but it is fun to me.
Old 09-19-2008, 06:20 PM
cappaj1

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I offered the guy $400 and he took the offer. Then I buddy boxed with another guy who had the same plane but a 180 four stroke on it and when I was done I went back and told him I changed my mind and that I wasn't ready for it. I was right, for right after that, within a half hour, I then crashed my trainer.

It's too much plane for me. I buddy boxed with another fella who had the new model and a 180 four stroke and realized it was way more than I could handle.

Old 09-19-2008, 07:28 PM
CGRetired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ah, now in your original post, you did not say that you were still on your trainer. That DOES make a difference. Good deal or not, if you are not ready to fly such an aircraft, then no matter what the deal is, it can be a bad one.. especially if you want to fly it right away. Buying it and putting it aside would be the best way to go if you really wanted to buy it. But, there is an awful lot of anxiety to fly something new even if you are not ready.

In my opinion, you made a good decision. However.. (and there is always a 'however') if you can buy it and put it aside until you are sure you can handle it, then you can always consider that possibility. As I said in my original reply, well, if you don't need it, don't have a passion for it, then it's a waste.

CGr.
Old 09-19-2008, 07:45 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I thought you were way past your trainer too. You may want to get A lot of stick time on A couple of low wing planes before you go with the stunt planes. They don't fly A lot different then other low wing planes but they are A mite more responsive, I'm sure the B Box showed you that.
My 60 year old student just had to have A nice stunt plane, he haden't soloed yet but I didn't argue with him so he bought the nice Funtana 100 and all the right stuff for it. After A few crashes with trainers after his solo his brain took over and the FT is still sitting in his hanger. He wanted me to fly it and have it all set up for him when he was ready, this time I did cool his jets, why dirty up A nice new plane then let it sit around for A long time until he was ready for it.
I have A few nice second and third planes ready for him to start flying in A couple of weeks when he gets back home. After some time on them he should be ready to fly his dream plane!! If you don't rush it your planes will last A bit longer. Who knows, in A couple of months that deal may still be around but only worth 300 bucks?? Just thinking ahead!!