Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

need a glue or bond.

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

need a glue or bond.

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2008, 10:06 AM
millertym2000
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need a glue or bond.

I have a 46fx that I gave a dirt nap about a month ago[X(] and the flap that holds the HSN broke off the back plate. Its a clean break, looks like it can be glued or bonded back together I just need a glue that will stand the vibration, feul, and heat. Any thoughts?
Old 09-20-2008, 10:23 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: need a glue or bond.

This has always been a weak spot with the FX series. I can't even begin to count how many times I've broken that mount off. In the later engines OS has corrected this with a metal mount that is bolted in place, but on the FX if you hit the ground you can bet good money that mount is going to break. Over the years I've tried everthing I could think of to repair the broken part. Trust me when I say that nothing really works very well. The closest that I've found it JB Weld, but it won't hold very well. The vibrations and the lack of a good surface to do the repair with will cause it simply come back off. And it usually doesn't take long before it comes back off. It's not worth the effort to try and repair it.

Your best bet is to simply buy a new back plate. You can get them from Tower Hobbies for $9.99. I usually order 2 or 3 of them just so that I have one on hand for future repairs. Here's the part you need:

[link]http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXCG04&P=ML[/link]

Ken
Old 09-20-2008, 11:18 AM
millertym2000
My Feedback: (4)

Thanks Ken, I looked at tower but all I saw was one that cost something like 30 bucks, thanks for the link.
Old 09-20-2008, 12:20 PM
Kwigen

If the break is near the backing plate check to make sure that there are no cracks in the plate that would allow air leakage into the crankcase. Drill a hole in the broken standoff and mount the needle vavle body to the firewall or motor mount. I've done this on a couple of remote needle valve motors. One FX, with good results, you will have to lengthen the fuel line from the carb to the nv of course. Just don't go too far away from the carb and try to keep the nv on about the same level.