Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Flight pack for Big Stik

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Flight pack for Big Stik

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2008, 04:51 PM
whiteout750

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flight pack for Big Stik

After much debate I am about to pull the trigger and purchase a Great Planes Big Stick .40. I have pretty much decided on an os .46 ax for power. I already own an Spektrum dx6i Radio. My question now is the flight gear. What reciever is best? I assume I need a "full range reciever" I have been flying only fomies and park fliers till now and moving my AR6100 reciever around. I was going to get an AR6200 but now I see they offer an AR500. Any suggestions?? As far as servos go I am a bit baffled. I know I need "standard size" servos but thats about it. Ther are so many out there...ball bearing, dual BB, metal gear, digital and the list goes on. I just need something to move the control surfaces! Don't want to spend a fortune but do want something that will last as I fully expect this plane to be a workhorse in my hanger for years to come. Any advise here?? Thanks!
Old 09-20-2008, 04:59 PM
andrew66

Default RE: Flight pack for Big Stik

i use standard ball bearing servos (hitec cant remember the model #) they are cheap, and pretty good for 40 size planes. as far as recievers go im not sure what u want. i have only used the one that came with my radio (jr quattro). i have been thinking about buying that spectrum radio for a while... how do u like it?
Old 09-20-2008, 05:04 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

The AR500 will work with no problems as it is a full range DSM2 receiver but is only a 5 channel receiver, but since you have the DX6i why not spend the extra $20 and get and AR6200 6 channel reciever? That way you have enough channels to keep up with your radio. If you want to stay with JR/Spektrum servos the [link=http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=JRPS8411]DS821[/link] is the standard digital servo and runs $29.99. But if you don't mind getting away from JR you should seriously think about the [link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LX0929&P=SM]Airtronics 94102Z[/link] standard servos for $11.99 each. I have over 100 of these and they are just about the best standard servos you can find. They are reliable and work extremely well.

Ken
Old 09-20-2008, 05:15 PM
whiteout750

andrew, i love the dx6i! never a frequency issue and easy to use-even for a noob like me! Rcken thanks for the advise. Don't care at all about the brand so the airtronics sound just fine if they work for you! I assume since you suggest them they will work fine with the skektrum reciever? had been leaning toward the ar6200 anyway so think thats the route i will take. you have been most helpful, If memory serves you have made several suggestions that I have found very useful and accurate! Thanks
Old 09-20-2008, 05:27 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Whiteout,
Absolutely, the Airtronics servos will work with the Spektrum radio.

Ken
Old 09-20-2008, 06:12 PM
F4U Corsair
My Feedback: (22)

Your going to love the Big Stik 40, check out my thread. DG

[link]http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7962963/tm.htm[/link]
Old 10-16-2008, 11:10 AM
griesel

Probably too late but an OS AX 55 with about a 13x5 or 13x6 prop hauls the 40 around with authority.
You can get into trouble with this engine particularly on a full power go around starting with a high angle
of attack; it can and will tip stall under the right conditions. The tail dragger is more difficult to taxi and
there is a learning curve to go thru. The ultra stick 40 is a nice airplane and it can be converted to a
tri-cycle gear fairly easily. To get to desired low weight I used a Dave Brown engine mount as H9's is
really heavy and Hitec HS 85 MG servos. Skip the flaps and save more weight. A Macs muffler boosts
the power ( thrust ) and saves more weight.
Old 10-16-2008, 11:46 AM
opjose

A caveat with the Big Stick!!!

Because you'll enjoy flying it, you'll tend to fly it a lot, and for rather long durations ( especially when it's a bit windy or gusty! ).

It will become your "go to" plane when the wind may ground other planes...

I almost lost my .60 the other day...

I got too complacent... during the fourth flight of the day, I lost all throttle control.... it went into a very high idle and stayed there, too fast to land, to slow to fly...

Fortunately I was able to get it down into the high grass which killed the engine.

When I checked the plane, I found that I had drained the battery almost completely.

Because the winds were in the 10-18mph range, I had been flying the plane at a high idle doing many stunts in the wind... the throttle servo was the weakest servo in the plane so it could not handle moving the throttle with the low voltage... it was the first to react.

During each flight I flew the plane for 18 minutes ( that's when my timer goes off ) as I knew I was NOT burning a lot of fuel.

My Big Stick had a 1400mAh flight pack in it.

I just upgraded it to 4000mAh so this doesn't happen to me again so quickly....

So... opt for a higher capacity battery.... you'll be glad you did because the plane is fun to fly...

Old 10-16-2008, 03:00 PM
dignlivn

FWIW

I used a high torque servo for the Rudder and Standard BB servos
for the rest. I opted for the tail dragger set up and a Saito 82.
This is my second plane and i'm like a kid at Christmas !
I also replaced the 8oz. tank with a 12oz. one. All my radio
equipment is Futaba, because that's what I used back in the 80's when
I think 4 strokes and JR where just coming into the hobby. I took a 22
year break, but i'm glad i'm back, Good Luck and enjoy your Stik.

Bob