Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Unsure whether flying is my thing

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Unsure whether flying is my thing

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2008, 04:56 PM
Spetz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Unsure whether flying is my thing

Hey guys,
So recently I've been liking the idea of buying a plane and learning how to fly
However I'm not really sure I'm that into it.
Here's the story, I watch that show "Air flight investigations" and after watching that I am really into flying and wanting to get a plane, but then that feeling sort of fades away.
I like planes a lot (airliners in particular) but I am not fanatical with them.
My thing is cars, and when buying an RC car I didn't need to think twice if I wanted it or not

But with the plane, I have doubts and I worry that I'll spend hundreds of dollars and just give up

What do people think?
Has anyone ever got into flying which wasn't sure about it and then loved it and never gave up?
Old 09-20-2008, 05:07 PM
whiteout750

Default RE: Unsure whether flying is my thing

Got most of my planes from guys that got a plane for a gift or thought it might be fun. Then they crashed a few times and gave up! Good for me but bad for the hobby i guess. Pretty new to the game and more stubborn than most myself! Started on cars too. Now I wouldn't have one after getting into planes! Even a low end plane like the park zone slow v I fly in my yard offers more excitement than a car! Get something cheap (the slow v and many others can be had for like $100 complete) and see if you like it. Be careful because if the bug bites you like it did me you will never look back! Do yourself a favor and check out your local clubs. those guys want you to enjoy the hobby as much as they do and will do more than you would ever expect to hook you! Good luck!
Old 09-20-2008, 05:07 PM
jester_s1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

If you're in the "try it" mode, check and see if any of the clubs near you have a trainer airplane they use for teaching. You might have to join the club to use it, but that will get you introduced to the work and effort it takes to do the hobby. Once you've solo'ed or gotten close to it, you'll know whether this is your thing or not.
Old 09-20-2008, 05:16 PM
nedyob
My Feedback: (67)

I would say go to a RC flying club and ask the club instructor if he will put you on the buddy box and let you fly his trainer. He will take the plane off, land it, and trim it out in the air, then turn it over to you and with him talking you through a few turns and straight line flights. Don't let the RC plane intimidate you one bit, Flying the plane after you build it is like having your cake and eating it too. Dont let the butterflys in your stomach or the shaky knees bother you. That just the adrenaline rush your going through. Theres nothing like it. Give the instructor route a try and if you like RC planes then he may even be the Instructor that will train you to Solo status. If you dont like in then you can have the instructor land the plane and walk away after with no money spent.
NEDYOB
Old 09-20-2008, 05:19 PM
aerowoof

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you have any doubts then think about the start up cost about $500 here for a inexpensive glow setup with field equipment.also remember that repairs are going to be required if you do not like gluing fitting sanding etc this may not be to your liking.
Old 09-20-2008, 05:40 PM
ErikElvis
My Feedback: (2)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

O originally wanted a nitro car. But decided that after a few days the fun would be gone. I mean really how much can you do with them. So I bought a plane and havent looked back. Crashing is not fun but when you actually have to learn to take off, fly, and land properly it keeps the blood pumpin for a long while. I started this spring and still get all giddy when a landing goes well.
Old 09-20-2008, 09:06 PM
brett65
My Feedback: (18)

Check out my stash of RC stuff in my signature below. Those nitro cars haven't been driven except maybe twice in the last three months since I got my trainer. Now I'm flying my third plane, an extra 300 and getting my fourth this week. My Savage flies about teen feet with the bike ramp, but my planes are limitless. I say give it a shot with something affordable or atleast try to fly the local clubs trainer. Let us know what happens.
Old 09-21-2008, 12:51 AM
flyX

Nitro cars are fun but then truckie are a little funner. Then monster trucks because you can make those things sort of fly.
Yeah I had 3 savages onces and luached the hecked out of them.

Flight is 3 dimisional.
The greater the risk the greter the rewards...nothing like getting the crazy knee shakes on your first flight.
It's worst then having sex for the first time. I was shaking all over.

A savage could never create the cheek pucker effect.lol
Nothing like going inverted 5' off the for the first.

And of course just like the savege...you gotta make one pop a wheelie from a stand still.
You gotta make an air plane hover a couple feet off the deck , it's an itch you gatta scatch once you been bitten.

Depending an the crash..sometimes airplanes are cheaper than cars to repair. You can always CA back balsa.
A savage is tough...If you had a tmaxx you'll what i'm saying.lol
I've spent $2000 on a savage..I've yet to put more than a $500-$600 into an airplane model.
Old 09-21-2008, 01:56 AM
MetallicaJunkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you should know almost immediately if its(flying) for you, kinda like when when you fall in love
Old 09-21-2008, 03:26 AM
Spacemonkey71

nedyob is right on the money. Go to a club, introduce yourself around and ask who the instructor is. Find out if he has a trainer plane with a buddy cable setup and if you could fly it. He'll get it off the ground and trimmed out and then turn the controls over to you. So you can fly it around a little. Just remember ONE thing - do NOT hold ANY of the sticks in position for longer than about a second. The MAIN reason why so many new people crash is by OVERCONTROLLING (which means they do something like move the aileron stick and hold it there; holding ANY stick (aside from the throttle) in 1 position for too long is a good way to crash. Don't worry too much about it though, if things go funny, the instructor will take over.

If you like it, you'll know IMMEDIATELY and afterwards you'll be really excited about having just flown. I remember MY 1st flight and I was INSTANTLY hooked and I knew it!!!

The instructor + buddy cable is the best way to see if this is your cup of tea. You're in very little danger of crashing it, all you get to do is "steer" it through the air, but that's PLENTY. It's like crack - 1 hit and you're an addict
Old 09-21-2008, 06:26 AM
Spetz

I've flown a trainer before when my friend was learning how to fly and I did enjoy it
Of course doing something for a few minutes for the first time is obviously going to be interesting (especially flying)

I'm going to the local flying field this upcoming weekend and I'll see how it goes. They do have a trainer airplane that I can learn on once I am a member
Old 09-21-2008, 09:51 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: Spetz

However I'm not really sure I'm that into it.
Luckily, no one's forcing you and we'll probably make do without you if it comes to that.

See if some local club is having an open house where you can try it out on a buddy-box. Or ask at the local hobby shop if there is a way to get a free trial flight on a demo.

Never tried an R/C car - I drive a full scale for that rush. (I have range "V" tires on my turbo and I have had them up to the top of that range - those that know will appreciate that - but unfortunately the highways are not built to that spec. and it's not a good idea when you have company on the road). I'm SURE it would be cheaper to go R/C cars than to pay the insurance, tickets and "Driver Accessment Program" fines . . . but I don't have many vices and I enjoy threading a twisty road so I do. I can get much the same feeling with the R/C airplanes without endangering other drivers.

Flying is a large committment of time and practice . . . not to mention funds. If you're not sure you're probably not likely to succeed or enjoy it enough to stick with it.
Old 09-21-2008, 11:09 PM
TexasAirBoss
My Feedback: (22)

Looks like the cars are very popular in Cyprus. Racing with your buddies is very fun. Flying by yourself is not as fun as racing with friends. But flying with freinds is the most fun you can have with RC.

Old 09-21-2008, 11:26 PM
opjose

ORIGINAL: whiteout750

Even a low end plane like the park zone slow v I fly in my yard offers more excitement than a car!
Has a car EVER given anyone the "wobbly knees" of a first solo that we all get?

I helped a 56 year old guy ( ex-drag racer ) this weekend maiden his new Velox Jet. He was like a kid with the neatest toy on earth, even though he's been at this for 10 years!

After he got the plane down, he could barely stand. He was so excited, nervous, and relieved, that we kept giving him liquids to calm him down....

I've never seen one of the RC car guys react this way.

Old 09-21-2008, 11:41 PM
Jr25
My Feedback: (7)

Last November I wasn't sure if I wanted to get back into it either. I now have a hanger of 9 planes (Midwest Aerostar, Sig Kadet Seniorita, Ugly Stik, 4* 40, Edge 540, Super Chipmonk, Extra 300, 1/3 scale Laser, and I just bought a 28% Cap 232G.) My advise is to stay away from it because as has been mentioned, once you have the bug, your done.

Happy flyin"
Jr
Old 09-22-2008, 08:55 PM
drhdrh

Hello,

I'm pretty sure flying is my thing.

About a year ago I bought a Blade CX2 and loved it. I bought a Parkzone Vapor last month for outside flying in no wind conditions.

I'm hooked now and will probably end up getting a Parkzone Radian when they come out.

Old 11-15-2008, 08:27 AM
phillipmorris

Don't even think about, get the Radian, my first flights were with gliders and sailplanes years ago, still question why I fly, its hard to describe, more fun with other flyers, tho solitude majestic flyer is something to behold, Parkzone did a wonderful job on the design of the Radian, it blew me away, it floats but handles 10 MPH with ease and does make it thru 15 MPH with no ballast, its a marvel..going to require some room for the Radian, it glides super long, I landed it just the other day was wet so wanted to come close, targeted 20 feet ahead for the touchdown but she kept sailing even after brushing the turf, and landed right at my feet on the pavement, discovered it has neat skids, no harm no foul, hi hi..what a ship...BEST ..<>..

Must check out the video, its as impressive as the plane, is everything they say it is, a true winner

http://www.hobbyzone.com/rc-planes-p...radian-rtf.htm
Old 11-15-2008, 10:20 AM
TakingFlight96

I started out with Nitro Cars, I wasn't sure I wanted to do it. I tried it, did it a couple more times. Lets just say I have my car still downstairs covered with a few thick layers of dust. Now, with Airplanes I knew I wanted to do it, I got my first flight in and I knew from that moment on I wanted to fly RC. With airplanes it was automatic, I was named after an airplane engine, I took to my name. What I recommend is finding a near by club, visit, and see if you could set up a couple flights on a buddy box to see if you like it. And if you don't, thats perfectly fine. RC Flying or anything RC is the kind of thing where you try it once or twice and either totally love it or you totally hate it. If you decide to meet up with somebody they'll give you all the information, and feel free to ask questions. And hey if cars are your thing, keep going with that. Good Luck !

TF96