Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Trimming problem

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Trimming problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2008, 02:42 PM
mc1982

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trimming problem

Hi,

I have an oxalys parkflyer, i leveled out the ailerons and elevator to follow the wings, flew then trimmed it, ailerons did not need any trimming but when i added throttle it would climb steeply and when i was inverted not matter what thottle settings the plane would dive towards the floor. The CG is fine, i have added alot of downthrust to the point where its silly and still, it climbs when i add throttle and dives inverted. is there any way i can trim this out from the radio? If i move the ailerons a few degrees down would it sort this out?
Old 09-21-2008, 02:44 PM
mc1982

Default RE: Trimming problem

Ah yes also no matter if i trim it with down elivator it will still do the same thing.
Old 09-21-2008, 03:02 PM
aerowoof

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my guess is the wing incidence is set wrong in relation to the stab the downthrust made things worse
Old 09-21-2008, 03:05 PM
mc1982

You mean the tailwing has an angle that gives natural elevator? How would that be possible if the parts are laser cut ?
Old 09-21-2008, 09:25 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I am assuming it is a symmetrical airfoil?

From your description it could be main wing incedence, horizontal stab incedence or up-thrust built into the firewall/engine mount (or not enough down-thrust built in if it calls for some.).

Lazer cutting has nothing to do with how a model is assembled. That just gives you nice crisp pieces with burned edges. You still have to check alignment frequently and carefully when assembling.
Old 09-21-2008, 10:12 PM
jetmech05

when you say you leveled out the ailerons to follow the wings......do you mean the top of the wings or the bottom of the wings? If the ailerons all not correct (a little down) you will have the exact problem you describe...is the aircraft sensitive in pitch?
Old 09-21-2008, 11:40 PM
opjose

ORIGINAL: mc1982
when i added throttle it would climb steeply and when i was inverted no matter what thottle settings the plane would dive towards the floor.
On a new mid wing, symetrical winged plane, with the C.G. set properly, e.g. a pattern or sport plane, at 60-75% throttle the nose may drop slowly both upright and inverted. ( This assumes that at aileron neutral, the ailerons align with the wing chord... ).

If the plane is built right and the C.G. is where it belongs the amount of drop, or rather the rate of change, should be the same both upright and inverted.

Normally we then tend to adjust the trim for hands free flight at mid to high throttle, which acts to drop the nose more quickly in inverted flight... you've done the latter, but it sounds as if the C.G. is too far forward to begine with...

The CG is fine,
Don't assume this is true! Even if you have the C.G. EXACTLY at the recommended point, it still may be way off for "neutral" flying chacteristics, which you seem to be hunting for.

Instead, adjust the trim so that the rate of change into a dive, is the same both upright and inverted... land the plane and start moving the C.G. back by moving say the battery pack back... do not more than 1/2" at a time maximum...

Fly it again.

When you notice that you only need a small amount of up elevator at 75%-80% throttle to keep the plane level, you've found a good "working" C.G. point...

Flip it over, and you'll also find it much easier to hold it inverted.

i have added alot of downthrust to the point where its silly and still, it climbs when i add throttle and dives inverted. is there any way i can trim this out from the radio? If i move the ailerons a few degrees down would it sort this out?
This is NOT why and how you adjust downthrust.

If the plane is trimmed for level flight, when you are flying it at 80% throttle, then if at the moment you pull off throttle to idle, the plane climbs, you need MORE upthrust ( NOT downthrust!!! ). If the instead when you pull off throttle the plane DIVES you need more DOWNTHRUST!

Whaaat?????

Yes, This is completely counter-intuitive... the idea is to get the plane's attitude NOT to change when power is pulled off.. that the thrust line is in the plane of forward flight...

If in turn the plane still dives suddenly when you pull off throttle ( and the trims are neutral ), then you have either a C.G. or incidence issue... since incidence tends to be defined by the manufacturer's build... C.G. is the most likely culprit...

Old 09-23-2008, 10:55 AM
mc1982

k will try and get back with results. Thanks for info.
Old 09-23-2008, 01:15 PM
opjose

Remember that the point of up thrust and down thrust angles, are to fix problems when power is applied or remove.

In effect if you pulled OFF from full throttle, and the plane were to continue moving forward at the same speed, it's attitude should NEVER change assuming no control inputs. ( Conversely pushing full throttle, when at normal flight speeds, should have almost the same result( s ). )

This is what Up-Thrust or Down-Thrust fixes if there is a change.

In reality the plane starts to slow down, so typically the plane holds the same attitude briefly, then begins to start changing attitude as speed decreases.

With proper up or down thrust your plane may still dive all too quickly, but not more or less so than when at throttle.

An excessive tendancy to dive or climb must be seperately addressed.