Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

shipping a plane

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

shipping a plane

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 05:41 PM
Fflier9
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default shipping a plane

I want to ship a .40 trainer about 900 miles...can anyone give me some advice on how to do this affordably? ($30-$40). Is this s ridiculous request? I can't even find a box for it at any of the ups stores. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 09-23-2008, 05:50 PM
smokeyser

Default RE: shipping a plane

If it's not being shipped overseas, check out greyhound. www.shipgreyhound.com
Old 09-23-2008, 05:51 PM
propbuster
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd check out Greyhound. They seen to have the best rates for large and oversized packages.
Old 09-23-2008, 05:52 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Well, I can tell you that you're not going to ship it for $30-$40 on UPS or FedEx. I shipped a trainer that I built here in a build thread to somebody on the east cost and it cost over $200 to get it shipped out there. Greyhound is going to be your cheapest option. But be prepared, many times for a 40 sized trainer it may be more cost effective to just get a new plane.

Ken
Old 09-23-2008, 06:47 PM
bruce88123

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Greyhound and you will need to build your own box. Light but strong to protect the plane. It will exceed the value of the plane most likely by the time all costs are added up. An unassembled kit wouldn't be too bad but UPS crushes even those. Remember that "This side up" means "Step Here" to many companies.[:@]
Old 09-23-2008, 06:56 PM
flyX

yeah..it's retarted.

Buying or selling gluded together nitro models on E bay for $50.

By the time you buy a right size box and packaging material or waste your time and gas driving around looking in dumpter
it's going to cost almost just as much as the model... That's why some people just give them away or wait til a fun fly to rid of them.
Old 09-23-2008, 08:37 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Gray Hound, you have to make your own box, get the plane inside and use A bunch of foam beans. Then you have to make up A bigger box and using more beans put box number one inside box number two. Much easier to just buy A Tower Trainer for 69 bucks and start over from scratch.
Old 09-23-2008, 11:08 PM
Campgems

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I hd this same problem this morning. I'm going to go east to visit my son and family and wanted to ship out a plane for him and the kids to play with. I had just aquired a Cubby, a plastic version of a J3, 40 size. I got it ready to fly and took it to the field for it's re-maiden. It lasted just about 5 seconds. Tip stalled on take off and hit nose down, broke the wing and the fuselage. Solved my shipping problem.

Like Ken said, order a new plane and have it shipped where you want it and allow a couple days to install your equipement. Money and headache solved.

Don
Old 09-23-2008, 11:44 PM
OzMo
My Feedback: (3)

I got a great price on a 2 meter span ARC Telemaster because it was so high to ship it built. I was able to drive 2 hours each way and pick it up.