Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Maybe a beginner, again?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Maybe a beginner, again?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 01:10 PM
rjm1982

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Maybe a beginner, again?

Im debating getting back into flying again...

Basically, a couple years ago I was big into it... started with planes... Nexstar... then helies (raptor 30)... then a few random things...

Basically, between never getting confident enough with the raptor (could never really get over the cost fear) and just time being short, I stopped... rather abruptly. Then started again when someone gave me a raptor 60 kit (not arf) for xmas. Well, the 60 is still sitting (assembled) with no motor or electrics to this day.

I am thinking about digging back in... But selling the helies. Its not the cost of the helies, but how quick things go bad, from my point of view I guess. Im sure I can get 200 for a never-ran Raptor 60 (the kit was 400 or so then...maybe not so much now)... and maybe could get 700 or so for a fully running raptor 30 with great servos and gyro and motor... I have an ultra stik with one flight on it I will likely keep. It has a saito 90 on it that I could never get to run right... but I'm going to work with it (and ask for help ) to get it going again.

Seems like a lot has changed, and there are alot of new birds on the market now ... I'd be content to just fly the Nexstar for a while now... I had it suped up a bit (no dihedral, dual aileron servos... it was pretty fun to fly) ... and see if I can get the stik running right. Since I didn't so much "plan" on stopping, i didn't treat the motors, so I hope I haven't ruined any of them...

I have to get myself over the wierd "i quit once, why start again" hump and just go do it... but damnit if my urge hasn't come up as it's getting cold... i like the cold, but not alot of people to fly with around here when it's chilly. Also, I need to figure out where I want to fly and stick to it... there were a few places I tried to fly at... need to stop in and say "Hi" and see if I can't get some time in....

For some reason, the thought of returning is more daunting than the thought of starting... weird emotion... i really want to fly again, but I'm very nervous about it for some reason... I'm going to walk in like a rank newbie and start fresh i think... Maybe tonight I'll fire up the nexstar at home and see if she still runs... maybe the sound of the motor will kick me into gear
Old 10-16-2008, 01:28 PM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Maybe a beginner, again?

Oh, I am sure that there are a few here that qualify for that role also. Don't sweat it. Just go ahead and dig right in and start. You will be surprized how quickly you will get back into the swing of things with the trainer and will be ready for your second plane almost right away. If you managed to fly a Raptor 30, I imagine you have enough hands to fly a fixed wing aircraft...

Also, consider advertising here on RCU to sell the heli's. I'm sure you can get a bite or two.

CGr
Old 10-16-2008, 03:52 PM
draftman1

dont be nervous, it was 20 yrs for me. best thing I ever did was to jump back in. My boys just love it, they wanted to try it and bam, were into it
Old 10-16-2008, 04:04 PM
bruce88123

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should do fine although you may need some fresh fuel and cycle your batteries a couple of times. I remember some of your previous posts about the Nexstar. Welcome back.
Old 10-16-2008, 10:34 PM
FlyI Bus Driver
My Feedback: (8)

Fire up the nextstar. If that seems boring to you (and it should come back pretty quickly, so I think it will), pick up an Ultra Stick 60 or something similar. Good, EASY flying planes than can go slow, but can really be thrown around if you feel up to it.

Welcome back!
Old 10-17-2008, 10:18 AM
rjm1982

I think I will!

Have to get ahold of a guy on here that flys in my area... haven't talked to him in a bit, but he was always really helpful before.

Started the nexstar last night... and man that motor is solid... it started on the first try and sang to life like it was brand new... let it run at idle for a while to get some fuel through it... it idled a full tank without sputtering a bit until it was out of fuel. Then I started it up and ran the throttle up to see how it sung at full tune... and it sounded great. Didn't feel too hot afterward, either... so I think she's good to go. It was a good thing I left the wing off though... my screwdriver pulled out of the ground that i had it tied down to... and i forgot just how quickly that thing will shoot off... no wing though, so no issue. A while ago, i did that with the wing on in my backyard and my "dont hit the fence" reflex outweighed my "you're not at the field" reflex and I found myself flying over my neighborhood with too many trees and no place to really land... so i flew it in a circle for 5 minutes while I got my wits about me and thought it through... and realized with the wind direction, i could at least "controlled crash" it into my yard... and ended up actually landing it and only bumping the fence with the (then stopped) prop spinner... was pretty exciting day since I hadn't soloed yet! Talk about a confidence booster... and a swift kick in the butt to my logic for doing something dumb...

Its remembering the stuff like that, the deadsticks, the close calls, etc... that make me really want to go flying again.. My first flight after my solo was a real deadstick since my motor decided it didnt like the taste of the new glow plug and jut spit it out right after takeoff... and in all my "oh crap" moments, I've never really crashed... couple of rough landings maybe...

Sucks though.. windy and cloudy today, have plans tomorrow and sunday... so it looks like next week, but I need to be lucky enough to hit a new field during the week when someone is there to check me out (and pay dues, sign stuff, etc )

I may even keep the raptor 30... and just sell the 60 since I have too many things in my budget before "spend $1000 to finish heli" ... Maybe I'll get brave and get over the fear of crashing the heli... maybe even learn to breath when I'm flying it....
Old 10-17-2008, 01:54 PM
f_shawn68

The thought of crashing can wear on the nerves. The best way to look at it IMO is its not if, but when. Real planes and helis crash, so why would we think a toy wouldnt?? Ya, it sucks, but it happens. Its only a toy and only money. It can be replaced/fixed and there usually isnt a risk to someones life like a full scale plane/heli. Having to rebuild after a crash isnt a bad thing. Doing a rebuild can actually be quite fun. If you get too nervous, it will result in not as much enjoyment. I have seen many planes crash at our club, and you feel bad for the person, but they usually laugh it off and the teasing begins. All of the members I have met have a great sence of humor about it. They are usually flying the plane again a week later.
I not only fly for the fun of flying, but for the fun of hanging with the club members. They are very fun to hang with and just shoot the breeze. It makes for a very relaxing environment to fly. They offer alot of advise as most of them have been flying for well over 20 yrs. I look forward to it every weekend.
Relax and go have some fun. Just stay alert at all times. Too much confidence will get you in trouble as will being too nervous.
Old 10-17-2008, 02:40 PM
Ryan I.
My Feedback: (4)

Go for it! I just got back into the hobby a little less than a month ago after being out of it for over 4 years (between getting married and working on my 69 Mach 1 I havent had much time for anything else). I am so glad that I am back flying again. I'm sure that you will do fine. My only flying experience was with a Tower Hobbies trainer, but I walked right out the first day with a new Sig Four Star .40 and all was well, even though it was my first taildragger experience and my first landing was a dead stick My point is, I was nervous about getting back into the hobby as well, and the thought of being a "rookie" again sucks, but it is all worth it when you get that plane in the air again. Good luck to you!
Old 10-17-2008, 10:17 PM
harphunt

I, too, was fearful of restarting the hobby after crashing two kits and quitting for four years. I thought I was eating crow by restarting what I knew I wanted to relearn, but I wasn't. I bought a docile LT-40 and jumped right in the shallow end. Do what you want to do, no matter how long it takes to do it.

peace
Old 10-17-2008, 11:03 PM
OzMo
My Feedback: (3)

Jump back in there!
Get some tuning help with that ultra stick and some set up help. The ultra stick is a real joy to fly and if (when) you do bang it up Sticks are REALY easy to repair. Your trainer is a nice enough plane, but IMHO I think you'll like the stick a lot more.
And welcome back. I took 8 or 10 years off for school and boy scouts and ...... stuff. Enjoying myself as much as ever. Simpler planes can be very relaxing and often more fun. I flew an ancient Gentle lady with an 049 power pod a couple a weeks back. the GL had not seen air for 5 years or more it was GREAT FUN catching a thermal again.