Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Anyone have tricks for beveling ailerons

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Anyone have tricks for beveling ailerons

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 12:15 PM
goirish

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Anyone have tricks for beveling ailerons

ORIGINAL: crashdummy6

ORIGINAL: cold_reboot

They sell adhesive backed sandpaper for the GP Sanders in all kinds of grit, just sticks right on. Got mine from the LHS.

Edit: Should be three profiles, one large round for wing LE, one small round for tail feathers LE, and the Bevel. Easiest way I've found of sanding the bevel and know when to quit is to cut the length of Sandpaper I need, split it down the center into two strips then stick the paper to either side of the bevel leaving a small gap at the center point of the bevel where it's bare metal... || <about that wide a gap. When you bevel the edges far enough that the wood hits that gap in the center where there is no sandpaper it stops sanding itself pretty much, keeps the LE bevel straight across the length of the thing I'm beveling, so I don't end up with bumps and low spots where I've either not sanded enough, or too much.
Yep. That is how I do it. Leaving that gap of bare metal is the key to not sanding too much. The only problem is that the bevel on that tool does tend to be a bit shallow. Not quite steep enough to allow huge surface movements without leaving too much hinge gap.

I'm going to the LHS today, so I will pickup some of that sandpaper. It makes sense about leaving a small gap. Thanks for the tip.
Old 11-07-2008, 12:21 AM
plugin

I found this step to be the most annoying and tasking at the time of building my first kit. I think next time I'll go with adhering a triangular stock balsa strip as suggested before. I think that when it comes to kit building, good sanding skills will positively affect in huge amount at least 50% of the whole job.
Old 01-08-2009, 09:12 AM
qldviking

I use a bench mounted trimmer/router for my l/e on control surfaces, and use either 30, 45 or 50 degree bits depending on whats needed. My guide fence is a piece of 3/4 ply 4' long and 6" wide with a slot to clear the bit. one end is held with a bolt and the other has a slot for adjustment and is fixed with a threaded stud, wingnut and star washer on a fender washer. very quick and easy to adjust. I also has a number of different radii bits for L/E etc on tail feathers etc
Old 01-08-2009, 09:22 AM
waross

I read the posts and I see there is at least one other true woodworker with the same thought and method that I use.

Hobbiest = Sand, Sand, Sand.....use some template, etc.

Woodworker = Setup the table saw and run them through and be done is less than a minute
Old 01-08-2009, 09:33 AM
qldviking

I am a woodworker by trade, why I went from a saw to using my small router, a lot more uses on the same set up. My router is mounted upside down from under the bench, and its physically impossible to remove to much once set correctly. I am currently experimenting with different ways of hinging and pivoting and have a few issues to resolve before I post on here. I am waiting on a set of bits, and when they arrive I will see how it works
Old 01-08-2009, 10:47 AM
Tom Nied

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

MinnFlyer's technique is the way I do it. It's really not that hard to do but I can understand a newbie might be intimidated by it. I always like to practice on some scrap if I'm not sure about it. Same with hinging. Strive for success, not perfection. It comes out pretty close.
Old 01-08-2009, 05:45 PM
bkdavy
My Feedback: (1)

I mark it like minnflyer, but I use the razor plane to remove most of the wood. Less dust, easier cleanup, less sneezing. Saw creates lots of dust. Router creates even more dust. I don't like dust.

Brad
Old 01-09-2009, 10:00 AM
bassfisher
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All good tips, and I have used many of them. Just one thing that has not been mentioned - find the center of the LE and cut your hinge locations out before your start to bevel the LE. Sure makes things a lot easier if you plan ahead. Learned that trick the hard way many years ago, now it is standard practice.
Old 01-09-2009, 10:27 AM
qldviking

ok I disagree with a router making more dust, I have the attachment for the vacumn cleaner and it catches a very high percentage of the shavings and dust that are made. I also like the very clean finish I get using my router
the point about cutting hinge slots has already been made in post #17
Old 01-09-2009, 10:47 AM
tmproff
My Feedback: (5)

My LHS has aileron balsa pre beveled in the front and tapered from thicker in the LE to the TE all for about $1.50 per aileron. They have all sizes as well.

Another easy way is to just glue small triangle stock to the LE of your aileron balsa....

Cutting it yourself might be satisfying, but not necessary.....