Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Long time no see

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Long time no see

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 11:00 PM
seemefly_1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Long time no see

Hello, its been a few months since I last posted but as usual I have a few questions. First, how has rising fuel and other expenses hurt your flying. Second, I got a new engine and i need a few formus on that. Also if their is a good starting back up fourms those would help too, thanks

And to those moderaters do you remember me ?
Old 11-04-2008, 07:30 AM
TakingFlight96

Default RE: Long time no see

Gas prices and whatever else has effected my flying. At the beginning of the season I would be out at the field almost everyday and weekends, but, when the gas prices went up I was lucky if I got to go flying twice a week. Hopefully the elections and what not will improve that. I've got so many planes (to me its a lot, 6 planes) but, not enough time to fly them in a day. Its not just gasoline its also glow fuel in my LHS its $25.99. Plus me and my dad got our AMA and club dues to pay, for me its only $6 for everything but, my dads is $83, hes actually considering just watching me fly because of the whole money thing. Welcome back !

TF96
Old 11-04-2008, 07:51 AM
Missileman

Same here.
Things have been tight. I have taken to selling some of my stuff to help the wallet a bit.
I have burned less than 2 gallons this year where I went through 5 last year and had a good start on the 6th.
I have flown my T-Rex heli quit alot because it is electric and doesn't require much room I can go out in my front yard and fly.
I don't think elections will have any immediate effect no matter who wins. I think things will get better but probably not for another 6 months to a year. At least the gas prices have gone down, driving 50 miles to work each day the high prices have taken a toll.
Old 11-04-2008, 08:22 AM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

It has not effected me that much. The price of fuel is the biggest factor in my flying now, however I have not cut down on the ammount of time that I spend at the field. I will make adjustments else where if needed. Good Luck, Dave
Old 11-04-2008, 08:40 AM
jkovar

Has not affected me one bit. I understand that we are having financial problems, but the wife and I made the decision a few years back when we purchased our home not to get strapped in a mortgage that we could not afford. We bought a smaller house than what we qualified for, paid off our debt, and built up a reserve. Yes things have gone up, but you can still find good deals on things if you look for them.

This is a hobby, if things get that to tight for us then it will be the first to go.
bottom line....
LIVE WITHIN YOUR MEANS
Old 11-04-2008, 08:47 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Gas prices really slowed me down quite A bit this year. I have one field at 17 miles away and the place I like to fly is 27 miles away. I only flew once or twice A week. Glow fuel prices didn't hurt me as much, I would go to Hobby People and catch there sales they have every holiday, Power Master 15% was around 15 dollars A gallon, it has gone up A little now. I went through 6 or 8 gallons this summer. I didn't go out as much but I did fly more when I got there.
Gas prices are now going down, about $2.55 now compared to the $4.50+ that it was. My main flying partner is now back in town, he summers in another state to beat the heat, he flew A lot this summer and went from my worst student to my best student and is now always ready to go fly, same with another of my older students, both have improved and learning to stunt now. Being retired we three can go fly when the weather is good. My youngest student crashed his good plane is is back in school so he isn't going out much now, I think he is loosing intrest??
I'm going back into gas powered planes again so I may be going out more often, I still try to fly A couple of times A week.
Welcome back, what were you doing all summer??
Gene
Old 11-04-2008, 09:04 AM
cold_reboot
My Feedback: (20)

Fuel prices haven't affected me any. I'm one of the lucky ones in that I live in the middle of nowhere surrounded by hay meadows. So anytime I want to fly all I have to do is walk out my front door with the plane of choice. Glow fuel prices have gone up for all of us, but the LHS where I get mine hasn't had near the mark up some people are talking about, I think it's gone up 2 - 3 dollars a gallon, and I can live with that since the price was very reasonable to begin with (i.e. considerably less than some where saying they were paying prior to the increases). As far as your engine forums go...check the Engine forums
Old 11-04-2008, 10:34 AM
seemefly_1

Welcome back, what were you doing all summer??
Gene
For starters saving up for a new plane but when it was time, the mortgage crisis hit and (my dads a fore closer agent) employers went under. So we had about 60 homes and sold 2 over the whole month, it was a bad time. Now winter is coming. I will look into buying new for spring/summer and get back on the sim or get a cheap foamie to use. If you have any suggestions on a certain path be sure to say it.

It’s sad to see it has affected people in the hobby but you have to expect that. We will see how are next president handles this problem and go from there.
Old 11-04-2008, 05:09 PM
hogflyer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been lucky as the field is 2 miles from work, and on my way home. This allows me to fly quite often when the weather permits, and if I go on a weekend, it's only 1 day. The field is 11-1/2 miles from home. So in that aspect the price of gasoline hasn't hurt me. The price of fuel has had and effect - it went from $11.00 to $20.00 per gallons so I resorted to flying my electric and .46 size planes and leaving the .61 stuff at home. I did a lot of instructing this year and either my students supplied the fuel or the club supplies the fuel for the club trainer, and I have a good flying buddy who lets me fly his planes a lot and supplies the fuel too.

For next year I'm planning on flying the .61 planes more hoping fuel will drop back down with the availability of nitro (I expect the fuel suppliers will probably keep the price up since we are used to the higher costs now), and will be moving a lot more into smaller electrics.

Hogflyer