Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

second plane

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

second plane

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 09:36 PM
jimmyjames213
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default second plane

well this hobby has me hooked. im ready for my second plane
i was looking at a towerhobbies fun51, a sig somthin extra, or a gp super sportster. all in all kit version
my goal is to move up the ladder and start doing some aerobatics and maybe some basic 3d
i would like to power the plane with a gms .47 (i have one on my spad trainer and it runs very well) or maybe a magnum .70 4 stroke. would this enough to do 3d?

also i would like to get a new transmitter, as my 4yf is very basic
i was looking at a futaba 7c fm/pcm so i could still use it my old planes.
is it good enough to get me to advanced aerobatics a few years down the road? (maybe giant scale)

thanks
Old 12-02-2008, 10:19 PM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: second plane

I really don't think any of the planes on your list are best just coming off a trainer. Their all good planes, I especially like the Somthin Extra and Super Sportster, just maybe a bit much for a second plane.

Also, none of the planes you listed are really good for 3D flight except possibly the Fun-51. Even then, it is more of a fun-fly plane than a real 3D aircraft. You want some experience on a good low-wing sport aircraft before getting into hardcore aerobatics and 3D anyhow.

A good list of trainer and intermediate planes can be found here: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_4537845/tm.htm

If you want to build a kit, I highly recommend the Great Planes Rapture: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXFHG4&P=7

You could explore 3D with your 3rd plane. For that, I would recommend a profile such as the OMP Edge-540 or the Mojo. Both are true 3D planes.

As for the radio, the one you currently have will be fine for for your second plane so there's no need to replace it right away unless you absolutely just want to. When you do eventually decide to step up, go for a 2.4Ghz.
Old 12-02-2008, 10:54 PM
jimmyjames213

ok
i have flown 3 planes. 2 electric 1 nitro. as of now i have about 6 hours on my nitro (spad trainer 48) and about 40 hours on my electrics (gws slowstick and estarter). i fly any day the weather permits. all of the planes i can fly with ease. im tring to learn as much about aerobatics with the spad as i can and im always trying new things.
my reason for not going to 2.4 is cost, a fm 8 ch rx is about $50 (if im not useing all 8 channels i can always use a $25 4 ch) while a 2.4 rx is at least $100. im in highschool so my budget is limited.

my question is could i maybe fly the fun51 or is it not a second plane at all? by the time i buy the plane and build it. i will have run at least 2 gallons through my spad, about 20 hours. (if i dont total it doing something stupid)
i would just like a second plane that i learn most(or as many as possible) aerobatics manuvers on.
Old 12-02-2008, 11:37 PM
Jester241

How bout a Big Stik? There great 2nd planes.
Old 12-02-2008, 11:38 PM
flaminheli

Get a Sig 4 star 40 or the Rapture ChuckW recommended. They are great low wing trainers and mild aerobats but not 3d. What you are trying to do and should not do is skip the basics of learning to fly and working your way up. 20 hours on a trainer is not going to prepare you for any aircraft that is 3d capable. If you insist on jumping right into 3d then here you go
[link]http://www.qqaircraft.com/planes.asp?s_nav=2&s_ID=11601&s_PART_CAT=b&s_PLANE_CAT=f[/link]

If you are going to do it then do it right and go all out.
Old 12-02-2008, 11:55 PM
ChuckW

ORIGINAL: jimmyjames213
my question is could i maybe fly the fun51 or is it not a second plane at all? by the time i buy the plane and build it. i will have run at least 2 gallons through my spad, about 20 hours.
I have not personally flown the Fun 51 but I've owned or flown several other planes like it. While it does have light wing loading it will be EXTREMELY responsive with he big control surfaces. Some may disagree but in my opinion you'll really be skipping the step of an intermediate airplane that has a lot to master.

i would just like a second plane that i learn most(or as many as possible) aerobatics manuvers on.
The Rapture, 4-Star , Tiger-2 or any other suitable intermediate plane can do a lot more in the aerobatic department than people think. You can use them to learn aerobatic maneuvers and learn them the right way. No, they won't do 3D but you really don't want to tackle a 3D plane fresh off of a trainer and Slow-Stick.

Jester241 mentioned a Big Stik, that's definitely another viable option.

I'm not trying t be discouraging at all. In fact, quite the opposite. I've made mistakes learning to fly and seen others make mistakes too. All too often someone comes here looking for first or second plane and doesn't like the answers they get. Instead they go get a 25% Yak, P-51, or some other plane they think looks cool but is too advanced for them at the time. Almost always there is a crash report shortly after. I see this in person at my field too.

No, a Rapture or 4-Star isn't exactly glamorous but it will help you get to where you intend to go.
Old 12-02-2008, 11:55 PM
jimmyjames213

i was not planning to jump to 3d, my question on engines is more related to power, i love to overpower my planes and was wondering if a .47 gms or a 70 4 stroke would give me a decent vertical. I think ill get the rapture and the somthin extra and have them be my winter projects (fly rapture first). i was thinking about a bigstick but thats basically what im flying now its a 2.5X2.5 pvc gutter pipe with coro for the wings( see pic)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vs55584.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	23.7 KB
ID:	1083118  
Old 12-03-2008, 12:03 AM
ChuckW

ORIGINAL: jimmyjames213
I think ill get the rapture and the somthin extra and have them be my winter projects (fly rapture first).
Excellent plan. Both planes fly great at build fairly easy so you an likely get both done over the winter.

You can use your existing radio on both planes unless you wanted to take advantage of dual rates on the SSE (nice but something you could get by without if you had to).

You say your still in high school? It's nice to see someone interested in this hobby at a young age, especially someone who is still interested in taking the time to build something.
Old 12-03-2008, 12:58 AM
chashint

The Rapture will be a good first kit to build.
There is plenty to learn about kit building and you want something that you can complete without getting too frustrated with it.
The Rapture will be plenty of challenge for a first timer but you will be able to do it and have something to be proud of when you are finished.
By all accounts this is also an excellent flying plane that is fun and can improve your flying skills.
While you are doing this you will have more time to see a greater selection of 3d planes so you will be better informed on what to get and the power requirements for it to perform the way you want it to.
Old 12-03-2008, 01:22 AM
NorfolkSouthern

And here's a build thread on the Rapture:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_6108405/tm.htm

You won't tire of this plane as quickly as you would a Four-Star or Tiger 2. It offers plenty of snap and will perform surprisingly tight maneuvers. The elevator is surprisingly effective, to the point of being a little twitchy with too much throw. This is because it has a shorter tail movement than the other two. You can have it mild, or hot. And I can set mine up tight enough to be a real handful, even to some of the more experienced pilots [X(] [>:] .

NorfolkSouthern
Old 12-09-2008, 01:26 AM
TZflyer

The SIG somethin' Extra is a fantastic plane! I am building my second one, the first was for a friend, and it's a really easy build.
As easy, if not easier than my 4 Star which was very basic to build.
I find it easy to fly as well, if you keep the rates low. She lands gentle as anything and take offs are as straight forward as it gets with a tail dragger.
I don't know what your flying skills are but there is not a huge difference (for me at least) between a four star (or a pulse) and a SSE.
Unless of course you turn the rates up, then she becomes a whirling pocket rocket
You can play it safe and get a 4 star but the SSE might just do the trick if you get a friend to take her nice and high until you get the feel for it.