Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Advice for a Beginner with no access to a club

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Advice for a Beginner with no access to a club

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 07:21 AM
Stixoz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice for a Beginner with no access to a club

G'Day all.

I'm keen to get in to Rc aircraft and I've browsed through these forums a little and see the same advice from everyone JOIN A CLUB. Well i live in central Queensland Australia and the closest club is a 4-5 hour drive away! So i need some advice on what to read and what plane to buy this weekend ;-)

I have flown a few electric "Park Flyers" i guess you would call them, 2 and 3 channel electric "foam wing" type things. I have a good 10 years experience flying PC flight sims as well so i'm no expert but not a total newb either.

I would like to get a petrol/nitro powered RC plane, something that i can fly for more than 10-15 mins per battery that wont get blown in to another suberb when a bee flys past I plan on flying it at the local football field which isn't exactly a great runway either so it needs to be rather stable on the ground and have a very slow take off speed (Flaps would be great). It would be great to get something possible of some aerobatics (Inverted flight etc) but that is not overly important because i realise i have a lot to learn and no one except you guys to teach me.

Oh i have a 34 channel twister RC aircraft which i can fly no worrys as well. My main concerns is i have never flown a petrol plane and i have a rough landing strip.

So what do you suggest? Keep playing fetch with my dog?

Thanks in advance guys

Stix
Old 12-03-2008, 07:50 AM
bingo field

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Advice for a Beginner with no access to a club

Knowing what I know now, my advice would be to make arrangements to get to that club at least once, and get someone with experience to help you out the first couple times getting in the air. There is also engine tuning if nitro / gas is involved, and sometimes the little things aren''t all that obvious, and the 10 hrs spent traveling is going to pay back 10 fold in lack of frustration when things don't come off 100% as planned, or the engine doesn't want to start correctly, etc. Just a couple of hours with an experience person can give a lot of the "nice to know" information that makes things a little easier. There are some safety factors that should be discussed, just a myriad of little things that add up to a lot down the road. 6 months or 1 year from now, when you a couple hundred take offs and landings, refuels, recharges, linkage adjustments, and all the like under your belt, there will be an all new set of questions that you may find yourself asking, and your contact at the club could be helpful at that time also. This is the road that I would pursue. You are not alone in the quest for flight, pick up on the free sharing of information available to you, you may also make a few friends along the way.

As for the runway, I own my own runway, rolling it frequently is your friend. Invest in some grass seed to help get it to an even consistency. You don't need to buy enough seed to transform 20 acres, just a little at a time. You may have a problem with that if your property is very arid. In that case, I would use a box blade and roller to keep the wispy stuff from making the runway lumpy.

Good luck

http://www.rcuniverse.com/community/...y&memid=107518 <my runway

Playing fetch w/ your dog is good, but it ain't flying...
Old 12-03-2008, 07:51 AM
Witterings

Learn to fly a real plane and you could get to the club a bit quicker

I'll let others advise as I'm leccy only - - - - - - - So Far
Old 12-03-2008, 09:06 AM
Jester241

What ever you do,keep in mind that instructors teach you ALOT more then how to fly such as engine set up and tuning(very important),how to balance charactoristics of planes in flight,and many many other odds and ends things you cant even imagine. So,if you dont get an instructor(and as you know,this is not advisable).......spend alot of time on here making alot of posts asking really simply questions.And stick to buying really cheap planes and parts for awhile even if their not the coolest things around.

And like bingo said...it would be a good idea to get in touch with a prominent member of that club and explain your situation and plan a day vacation to go there and spend as much time with someone as you can. But,I'll bet there's something closer to you then you thing if you look hard enough.

Good luck!!
Old 12-03-2008, 10:32 AM
TFF

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it is truly down to no one I would get a Nexstar or something like that, strip the low speed stuff off fly it like it is until comfortable then make it into a tail drager once you can fly it like that move up. If you are truly confident maybe a sig 4 star. A club will teach you not just how to control the plane in the air but how you should conduct your flight. Nothing worse than someone who thinks they are in control but are not. You sound like you might be ok. as for your field, if there are trees and stands around the plane will be hard to contain in the area. After the trainer I would get yourself a 40 size profile.
Old 12-03-2008, 11:11 AM
carrellh

ORIGINAL: Stixoz

Oh i have a 34 channel twister RC aircraft which i can fly no worrys as well. My main concerns is i have never flown a petrol plane and i have a rough landing strip.

Stix
Is this the model you are already flying?
Multiplex Twister Electric Ducted Fan RC Jet
http://www.hobby-lobby.com/twister.htm

If you are successfully flying this, you already have the basics like knowing which way to move the stick when it is coming toward you. With a bigger, heavier, model there is the takeoff and landing that will be totally different.
Old 12-03-2008, 11:55 AM
bkdavy
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: Stixoz

I have flown a few electric "Park Flyers" i guess you would call them, 2 and 3 channel electric "foam wing" type things. I have a good 10 years experience flying PC flight sims as well so i'm no expert but not a total newb either.
Flying PC flight sims is not the same, particularly if you are using them in the pilot or from behind the aircraft. You must use the simulator as if you are flying from a fixed point on the ground in order to help develope the muscle memory and learn to control the plane with reversed orientation. Your experience with the small park flyers is probably far more valuable.

I plan on flying it at the local football field which isn't exactly a great runway either so it needs to be rather stable on the ground and have a very slow take off speed (Flaps would be great).
Not a good plan. Nitro powered engines and small fields do not mix well. You'll need more power to overcome the rough field conditions, and this will not be compatible with small, slow planes. You're probably looking at a 40-60 size plane to be able to deal with the rough plane, and this will not be good in such a small area.

It would be great to get something possible of some aerobatics (Inverted flight etc) but that is not overly important because i realise i have a lot to learn and no one except you guys to teach me.
Learn to start, tune, and operate the engine on a good trainer. Save the aerobatics for your next plane.

Find a larger field than the local football field, and get permission to fly there. I've never seen a 34 channel plane. Assuming the link in the earlier post is the plane you're flying, I'd seriously consider starting your nitro addiction with a tamer aircraft, such as the Hanger 9 Alpha Trainer. Yes its a trainer, but with an OS 46 AX it is capable of basic aerobatics, and will be a nice stable platform for you to move up to. Ditch the stock wheels and go with larger wheels to make rough field takeoffs and landings easier. When you're ready for your next aircraft, just reuse the electronics and motor.

Brad
Old 12-03-2008, 12:11 PM
apwachholz

Stixoz -

I'm going to keep this as short as possible and I agree w/ what a lot of bkdavy was saying. In no specific order, ponder the following:

1. Get a basic trainer. Peep out [link=http://searchrc.horizonhobby.com/index.jsp?N=632+5049&sid=11DFDCFC801A]these glow trainers[/link] to give you an idea of what to look for/ go with. Your primary goal is to understand glow, not fly it (as I'm assuming your skills are what you say they are). And as such, you'll "kill" your glow from time to time in the air and need to bring that bird down safely with no power - which these trainers are built to do.

2. Unfortunately, you need to find a larger field then that football field. bkdavy is right...it's not a good idea to fly glow in such a restricted area. Besides, you'll want more room for error.

3. Any trainer aircraft will handle well on rough surfaces. They'll bounce around but they'll stay in tact.

If you are completely stuck in the football field for flying, you need to stick with electric. And that's not all bad! I own an E-flight Extra 260 electric and it rocks on the weekends in my company's parking lot
Old 12-04-2008, 04:41 AM
Stixoz

Cheers for the advice guys, i've been contacted by an instructor who is about 5 hours away from me. I might chase him up and see how that goes.

Are there any good articles on the net in regards to engine setup and tuning if that is going to be my main learning hurdle?

Thanks in advance

Stix
Old 12-04-2008, 09:08 AM
RCVFR
My Feedback: (7)

Stixoz, as you can see, learning to fly via online instruction is not especially viable. It's great you have a contact with an experienced RC flyer. "Hands on" help is so much more effective than web correspondence.

Guys, in Australia, "Football field" is a Soccer field.
Old 12-04-2008, 09:41 AM
the_madgenius

I agree with Jim , but as Stixoz is about 350 mile from a club, it is a bit far , but as i am the one he mentioned above i'll do my best to help him . By the way jim a "football field " in Australia covers three modes of the sport , Rugby League, Rugby Union , and Soccer , All are played on a Football field. Just us weird Aussies slang .
Bill
Old 12-04-2008, 10:58 AM
KW_Counter

Stix,
Have you been in contact with the club nearest you?
They may know someone closer who could help.
Also, is there a national organization like our AMA?
They may know someone closer who could help.
Good Luck,
KW_Counter
Old 12-04-2008, 01:37 PM
hugger-4641
My Feedback: (6)

Stixoz,I have an Avistar with stock 0s .40 that I fly in a football field regularly, as long as its not surrounded by trees, houses, or a 20' fence, you should be fine with a trainer box and a little help from the mad genius!
Old 12-04-2008, 08:27 PM
jimmyjames213
My Feedback: (2)

i have a spad trainer 48 from spadflyer.com and it is great. the thing can fly upside down, and can do some basic aerobatics and is very durable
its made of pvc and coro (plastic) cardboard so if you crash it, chances are your home depot or what ever hardware store is down their, to get what you need to repair it.
i have gp standard servos and a gms 47 ( a very reliable engine i have never had a dead stick). i have a rough grass field and i got 7cm (2 3/4 in) wheels and they are fine. all i did was move the landing gear up about 5 cm (im doing metric for you. 1.5 in or so) and it handled the grass much better. i would get a starter but it is not nessary just expect it to take 5 min or so to hand start in the cold compared to 5 sec for the starter. as for flying the plane it would be easier to get help on how to tune a engine and ect. if not, it may be like the starter. taking 5 crashes to get it right or 1 time with help. if you want to learn to fly by yourself read as much on this site as possible and do your reasearch about how to set up planes. im still a noob, learnt to fly by myself with a gws slowstick.
Old 12-05-2008, 02:45 AM
HighPlains
My Feedback: (1)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Go for it. I was 16 when I built my first RC model, and also had to travel several hundred miles for the first flight. My airplane was taken off and trimmed out by an experienced pilot, but I flew it and landed it on my first flight. The second flight I took off and flew it around and the other guy landed it. My third and last flight of training, was solo with the guy just watching. Of course by the time I first flown RC, I had 6 years of flying control line models, but the rest was trial and error, plus what I learned from reading model magazines. Since you have flown sims and foamies, the only thing to learn is how to operate the engine.

Keep reading. RC is very easy now, and a hell of a lot cheaper compared to 38 years ago.
Old 12-05-2008, 04:57 AM
rambler53
My Feedback: (494)

ORIGINAL: HighPlains

I had 6 years of flying control line models, but the rest was trial and error, plus what I learned from reading model magazines. Since you have flown sims and foamies, the only thing to learn is how to operate the engine.
You need to know climb rate of a trainer is less, since it's a little underpowered in general. Your runway is a concern, taking off prematurely will stall the plane. I've seen people pass and fail with only sim experience. CG, pre-flight checks, flying responsibly and safe, are all factors you pick up seeing an instructor at a club. What is an instructor and a 350 miles trip worth compared to trashing good equipment doing it wrong by trial and lots of error? There are better trainers for your terrain than a Nexstar, try the marketplace, a used set up is cheaper, engine is already tuned and seasoned, it will save you some time and money,

or better yet, get one at the club, I'm sure members there have one sitting in their home waiting for you, cheap. But learning to operate the engine, isn't the only thing you need to learn.
Old 12-05-2008, 05:10 AM
rambler53

ORIGINAL: jimmyjames213

i have a spad trainer 48 from spadflyer.com and it is great. the thing can fly upside down, and can do some basic aerobatics and is very durable
its made of pvc and coro (plastic) cardboard so if you crash it, chances are your home depot or what ever hardware store is down their, to get what you need to repair
Good choice for a beginner. I've heard people doing really well going this route.
Later you can go to an ARF or kit, gaining better flying characteristics with improved wing designs you want after the trainer level.

Another inexpensive choice is a $69 trainer. http://www.nitroplanes.com/stevtr.html
I wonder if he ships worldwide reasonably?
Old 12-05-2008, 09:38 AM
Stixoz

Cheers guys, i have bought a boomerang 40, OS 46AX and Hitec optic 6. I'm going to do my research get everything built and then find someone to help me with engine setup and my first days flights. Cheers for the help guys.
Old 12-05-2008, 10:24 AM
rambler53

Great, stay close to your online RCU tools like this rating from those who flew it, http://www.rcuniverse.com/product_gu...fm?kit_id=3679
I've gathered more than one has had issues with the weak landing gear, very customary with Seagull models, I know with my Harmon Rocket lll the same issue exists, so easy on the landings. It's easy to replace wire trike gear though. Try bending your own from steel music wire, it's a very strong alternative you could make before flying it. You have the factory one to go on as a guide.
General rule I follow with Seagull Models is to toss the weak and brittle pushrods and replace them as well. The longevity of the model will increase, well worth the investment. Use thin epoxy resin on the firewall, adding more to this area protects the nose, fuel proofs it further, and adds strength to an area you'll be testing on each landing. Same goes with the wing mounting blocks, and fuel tank area. Before building it, add a little extra epoxy to the stress areas mentioned, and the model will give you more rugged service.
The AX is heavier than the LA by some 6 ounces, so make sure your CG is on, you'll certainly be adding a little tail weight to the model.
Too nose heavy makes for a hard landing when flaring is less effective, makes for longer take offs, and a sluggish feel in the sky.
The AX breaks in fast, get it up to temp quickly, don't make it too rich. After a few flights you'll probably need to lean the idle screw a bit, 1/8 to 1/4 turn, and you'll get a much snappier transition from idle to full throttle without any hesitation. I really like what they've done to improve the AX. OS is as reliable and user friendly as you can get. Most try to achieve the OS standard with other engines, I hear frequently "It runs nearly as good as an OS." You can say "It runs like an OS should run."
Old 12-05-2008, 01:46 PM
SoCalSal
My Feedback: (16)

Just a bit of advice...If you must fly from your area please ALWAYS have someone else with you incase you have an accident of some kind. If you get hit by a prop or even the plane during your outing and you are hurt real bad being by yourself may cost you your life. I'm not kidding. I got hit by a prop in my garage about 18 months ago just "fooling" around with the engine. It was a very very bad accident and if my son had not been in the house I would have bleed to death before the fire department could get to me. My son was able to stop the flow of blood so I did not bleed out right in front of him. He saved my life!! Had I been alone I would have died from this accident.

Please don't blow this advise off........It could happen to you.
Best of luck in all of your RC flying.

Think Safty First.
Old 12-05-2008, 04:48 PM
Villa

When you get into trouble, go to low throttle. Gives you more time to figure it out. Be prepared for many crashes. Just keep fixing the plane. Don't blame yourself. Do not worry how ugly it starts to look. Fly high and see how the controls work at differtent speeds.
Old 12-05-2008, 10:34 PM
rambler53

ORIGINAL: Villa

When you get into trouble, go to low throttle. Gives you more time to figure it out. Be prepared for many crashes. Just keep fixing the plane. Don't blame yourself. Do not worry how ugly it starts to look. Fly high and see how the controls work at differtent speeds.
Well said.
That still applies to all my planes I fly today! I tried a flat spin on a piper that wouldn't quit spinning, as soon as I cut throttle, it straightened out.
Old 12-06-2008, 07:18 AM
davo580

ootball here in aussie in not just a soccer field
Old 12-06-2008, 07:45 AM
fliers1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe someday, more hobby shops would be there for the beginner. Can't seem to understand why anyone would have a problem for such an offer to help beginners.

abchobbyshop.com
Old 12-06-2008, 06:59 PM
nobodytwo

Clarence...

Can you see Tower or Horizon offering free lessons? It's all about $$$. You're different..you care!

Happy Landings!

Greg

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.