Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

GAS ENGINE OR GLOW???

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

GAS ENGINE OR GLOW???

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 01:47 AM
WingmanEPTX
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GAS ENGINE OR GLOW???

hello all! i was wondering what the benefits to gas is over glow? i go through so much glow fuel im goin broke! gas is obviously cheaper. whats involved in switchin over on 40 and 60 sized planes? what size gas engines are equal in power to say a saito80 or a saito91? i was lookin at this gas engine-BT-24A 23.9cc/1.5CI Gas Engine. what size plane would this fly and is it a good engine?

any help as always greatly appreciated! thanks in advance!
-kevin
Old 12-04-2008, 06:53 AM
CGRetired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: GAS ENGINE OR GLOW???

The problem, of course, is the size of engines in glow vs. gas. The most obvious observation is that the gas engines are larger and power larger aircraft. There are some smaller gas engines, but I'm not sure what ones would be usable in something that uses a 60 size glow engine.

If you are looking to build larger aircraft, then certainly gas would be a consideration. But for smaller size aircraft, I don't think there is a compatible engine that would replace a 60 Glow.

The benefits are obvious. I just saw that gas at the local station (on the way to work this morning) was $1.54/gallon. That makes it pretty obvious a choice as compared to $12.00 (or more) for glow fuel. But, as mentioned above, finding a gas engine to replace a 60 glow may be a problem. Also, the gassers are somewhat cleaner.. no oil on the wing/fuselage/tail feathers.. is one advangage of gas over glow.

CGr.
Old 12-04-2008, 07:24 AM
jetmech05

Cg is correct I just maiden my first gasser a couple of weeks ago....gas is way cheaper.....my first gasser weighs in at just over 18 lbs......Want to get rich? make smaller gassers
Old 12-04-2008, 09:01 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

As JetMech and CGRetired have said, the biggest down size is that sizes. There are NO gassers for 40 sized planes. There are now two gassers for 60 sized planes, however there are trade offs there too. The Zenoah G20 is a 60 sized gasser, but because of it's size and shape it won't fit under the cowls of a lot of 60 sized planes. The other engine in this size is the new Saito FG20 4-stroke gas engine. This is great because it's the same size and shape as most 4-strokes so it will fit most planes. The down side?? The cost. The engine costs $529!!!!

As it stands now gassers really don't come into play until you start getting up above the 60 sized planes.

Ken
Old 12-04-2008, 09:26 AM
carrellh

Is the the engine you are looking at?
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...1&I=LXRAW2&P=3
If yes, it is probably something you'd consider for some 1.20 size models.
It weighs 3.2 pounds (around 51 ounces) including muffler
It needs a 16x8 or 16x10 prop

Weight will be the killer for smaller planes. The majority of glow engines in the .61 to 1.00 range weigh 20 to 25 ounces.

The Zenoah G20 (41 ounces including muffler and ignition) is supposed to be a good match for the round cowl, 60 size, Hangar 9 warbirds because they have a short nose and tend to need extra weight up front. Horizon says it spins an APC 15x6 at 9500 rpm.

There is a Saito 1.25 (20cc) four stroke gas engine that weighs 30.1 ounces with muffler and ignition.

Old 12-04-2008, 09:33 AM
Jester241

Theres tons of advantages of gas vs. glow(no glow starters to care around,they run better,no electic starters to carry around,cheap and readily available fuel,etc,etc).....but what I love the most about gas now is instead of going through half a roll of paper towels cleaning off your plane after a couple flight......you just rip off your wings and put the plane in your car. Theres virtually no oil mess!!!!!

Old 12-04-2008, 10:34 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Not sure if they still make it but I have A 1.40 22cc gasser from RC Showcase and it's A little power house. My problem with it is the rear induction. The carb is in the back and setting up the linkage is always A pain. There are some little problems with A gasser, RF is one of them but you just have to learn to set one up correctly. This is another engine that is outstanding for the smaller war birds. If they still carry it the price was/is A bit steep for A small engine. I had mine in A light 73 inch Extra that came in at 13 pounds, it could fly the complete IMAC but no 3-D at all. It does fit and fly the CG Extra quite well but that plane was called A 60 size but it was really too heavy for A .60 glow engine. It's better to go gas with A bigger plane but you can get away with them on some smaller planes. On sale now my glow fuel is running about 17 dollars A gallon so I'm setting up A few gassers again. I really like my smaller planes because they are easier to haul but they are starting to cost way too much to fly.
Old 12-04-2008, 10:48 AM
blhollo2
My Feedback: (278)

glow=more thrust,power,longer flight times,sounds reeeal nice!
Old 12-04-2008, 10:53 AM
KW_Counter

Kevin,
You might look into diesel conversion of your glow engines.
I don't know a lot about it but I think there is a lot of info here on it.
It may be a way to go to save money on fuel.
Good Luck,
KW_Counter
Old 12-04-2008, 11:27 AM
jetmech05

to me gas sounds better than glow....and is a fuel miser....power? 50 CC takes an 18 lbs bipe almost unlimited vertical....
I love my glow planes....but gas is, well, just a gas
GGood flyin to ya
Old 12-04-2008, 06:37 PM
Campgems

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: KW_Counter

Kevin,
You might look into diesel conversion of your glow engines.
I don't know a lot about it but I think there is a lot of info here on it.
It may be a way to go to save money on fuel.
Good Luck,
KW_Counter
There are a number of things that lead me not to recomend a diesel conversion. One of our guys did a conversion on an O.S. 60 engine mounted in a 4*60. The first thing he did after getting it running was to mount an exhaust pipe that ran all the way to the back bumper. The stuff dripping out of it was nasty. He had to fiddle with the head compression as well as mix at the start of every days flying. I've got to say though that it ran well and sounded very nice. Idle was way better than with glow fuel. In the end, his experment only lasted a few weeks and he went back to a 90 size Saito as a replacement.

The fuel is also an issue as it has eather mixed in. Very volitable stuff I've heard.

My self, I'll stick with glow until I pass the 1.20 size. At that point the gassers come into their power curve if you will. The cost of the fuel isn't that much of a consideration compaired to what we have wrapped up in the rest of the plane. It cost me more to drive to the field and back than a full days flying cost. Way more when the gas was $4.70 a gallon.

Don

Old 12-05-2008, 10:57 AM
WingmanEPTX

wow what kind of glow are you guys buying??? i'm using cool power..35 bucks for 4 stroke and 28 for 2 stroke. thats all the hobby shops carry here. ugh! and ive been going through 1 to 1 1/2 gallons a week. i fly too much. =\
Old 12-05-2008, 11:08 AM
jaka

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi!
Mix my own fuel!
Old 12-05-2008, 11:25 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

How much fuel do you mix at one time? Are you mixing Nitro in your juice or just Alcohol and Oil? I have noticed in A number of countrys the cost is A good reason to mix your own but it is usually the coast of the nitro that makes it cost so much.
Old 12-05-2008, 03:59 PM
Campgems

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: WingmanEPTX

wow what kind of glow are you guys buying??? i'm using cool power..35 bucks for 4 stroke and 28 for 2 stroke. thats all the hobby shops carry here. ugh! and ive been going through 1 to 1 1/2 gallons a week. i fly too much. =\
I guess I'm in for a bit of sticker shock when I buy my next case. My last case, I've not flown a lot in the last six months, cost me right at $18 a gallon. I burn Omega 15% in my four strokes. Not need to get the 4Stroke stuff, its the same, just cost more. we had a local hobby shop go out of business and I picked up three gallons from them. I'm good till summer now. Maybe by then, the cost will come back down again.
Old 12-05-2008, 06:10 PM
jetmech05

I burn Omega 15% in my 4 stroke with out a problem