Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

newbie looking for EDF plane. open for recommendations

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

newbie looking for EDF plane. open for recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 01:35 PM
chungenhung

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default newbie looking for EDF plane. open for recommendations

newbie here.
i've flown the $20-40 cheap RC planes, where the throttle controls all up/down, left/right.
Am looking to get a little bit serious into the RC plane arena.
Any recommendations? I've heard that the EDF are betther than the regular propellers. Personally I like EDF better.

Please post your recommendations and preferably a link with it.
Also, since the stock battery last like 5 min, I would like to buy extra LiPo battery and charger.
Let me know what all i need.

Finally, can I install a 11.1v LiPo into a 8.4v default motor?
Old 12-07-2008, 04:40 PM
opjose

Default RE: newbie looking for EDF plane. open for recommendations

No EDF's will not be what you want to move up to next.

Whomever gave you this advice is off their rocker!

EDF's are more suited to intermidiate to advanced flyers, and you've barely started.

You should invest in a larger sized TRAINER or LOW WING trainer that has 4 channels and full aileron control.

This will fly very differently than what you have already flown, so you WILL be LEARNING to "fly" for the first time with these planes.

Those cheapy planes do not provide a full set of controls.

Join a club!

Take the training offered!

This is the best route for you.
Old 12-07-2008, 05:17 PM
HeliTB

I double that. I flew helis before planes and someone told i didn't need a trainer. Boy were thay wrong. I bought a trainer and was taught by an instructor. I now can fly just about any plane I want. I just learned this year.
Old 12-07-2008, 05:21 PM
bassmanh
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

chung,

i agree with op edf's are not the way to go get a high or low wing trainer either glow or electric and seek help from some one with experience so you keep the plane in 1 piece for awhile

those other planes you say you have "flown" really are just toys and nothing like flying a 4 channel trainer let alone an EDF.

bassman
Old 12-07-2008, 07:30 PM
chungenhung

appreciate everyone's help.
do you guys have any recommendations for what plane to buy?
Old 12-07-2008, 11:06 PM
bassmanh
My Feedback: (5)

chung,

do you want to start in glow power or keep electric ? that will give us an idea of where to start for recommendations .

there are some nice electric trainers out now as well as alot of good glow planes.

bassman
Old 12-07-2008, 11:14 PM
chungenhung

ORIGINAL: bassmanh

chung,

do you want to start in glow power or keep electric ? that will give us an idea of where to start for recommendations .

there are some nice electric trainers out now as well as alot of good glow planes.

bassman
Thing is I don't know the difference
Old 12-08-2008, 12:49 AM
hogflyer

There is a member of RCU that hangs out in the 1/2A forum a lot and lives in Murray, Ky. If you look up [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/community/profile.cfm?section=profile&forum=1&memid=47545]Andrew[/link] you'll find he's very knowledgeable and helpful. Send him a PM I'm sure he'll get back with you and give you a lot of help.

Hogflyer
Old 12-08-2008, 07:04 AM
blhollo2
My Feedback: (278)

edf airplanes are not for beginners and are pretty hard to fly i would try somthing else before the edf, but dont just taje my advice
Old 12-08-2008, 08:22 AM
HEMICUDA

Chung,

An EDF is usually considered a 4th or 5th plane after you star with a high wing trainer, low wing trainer,
scale, sport flyer and the EDF. If you start out on an EDF jet you'll enjoy it a max of 10 seconds... then
you'll be picking up the pile of rubble.

To hit on your ? alittle : Glow is a plane (or boat or car) than runs on a fuel mixture thru a engine.
Sometimes they are called gassers or nitro, but there is a difference between them all but I'm not
going to get into that here. Just the basics.

Electrics are just that, they run on an electric motor, controlled by an ESC and gets its power via a
battery pack, usually LIPO's, Ni-mh or old school Ni-cads.

Take your time and read/research the threads here and elsewhere. People will help you out but the
same NOOB questions are asked over and over agian but we still answer them. Look and
read, plenty of info here.

Hemicuda
Old 12-08-2008, 02:58 PM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

Nobody has mentioned the Hobbico Flyzone Diablo yet. It's $179 RTF EDF Trainer aircraft that features an upgradable wing and upgradable power:

http://www.flyzoneplanes.com/airplanes/hcaa28.html

There is a review of the Diablo RTF available here:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...rticle_id=1004

If you buy the Diablo and don't like it, you can harrass MinnFlyer all you want, because he did the review!

Old 12-09-2008, 12:50 AM
HEMICUDA

I wouldn't recommend any Flyzone planes to anybody, especially the Diablo! Like all Flyzone planes
it is too heavy and underpowered! If you look at the scratch and dent section a TowerHobbies it's
90% Flyzone planes and a large part of the is the Diablo's. You get an occasional J-3 Cub ,which is
the Flyzone mistake I made, but there's not as many of them in that section anymore as people
are finally learning to stay away from that plane. I hear the Skyfkys are OK but there's alot of them
in the scratch/dent section too. Just avoid Flyzone alltogether!

Hemicuda
Old 12-09-2008, 12:55 AM
chungenhung

ORIGINAL: HEMICUDA

I wouldn't recommend any Flyzone planes to anybody, especially the Diablo! Like all Flyzone planes
it is too heavy and underpowered! If you look at the scratch and dent section a TowerHobbies it's
90% Flyzone planes and a large part of the is the Diablo's. You get an occasional J-3 Cub ,which is
the Flyzone mistake I made, but there's not as many of them in that section anymore as people
are finally learning to stay away from that plane. I hear the Skyfkys are OK but there's alot of them
in the scratch/dent section too. Just avoid Flyzone alltogether!

Hemicuda
what, even the J-3 Cub is no good?
are you serious? many people recommend this and i have just placed the order for J-3 Piper cub.
Old 12-09-2008, 01:17 AM
HEMICUDA

chungenhung,

The Flyzone planes all use the same brushed 370/380 motor. The foam is repairable but fairly brittle.
It's up to you if you want to cancel, you'll end up spending $60-$80 upgrading to brushless motor,
brushless ESC and Lipo just to get it to fly. The heavy plane is too much for the 36" wingspan. The
hobbyzone Supercub ,while only 3ch, is the same price, almost same weight but is much bigger with a
46" wingspan which gives it more lift. Its 480 brushed motor is gear driven so it can spin a bigger
prop and flies slower than the FZ J-3 Cub, which is actually a good thing.

It's your call on it...everyone has their own opinion on the plane but most people who have bought one
regret it! Look at the TowerHobby site in the scratch and dent section...it's 90% Flyzone planes that have
been returned or were bad or missing parts to begin with.

If you want to know something here @ RC universe do a search and it will take you to all the threads,
reviews and tips for everything. Do your research and make an educated decision on what you find,
not listen to just one's opinion, even mine. If a high # of people say something's crap and a few are
saying how great it is you can bet it's crap! Majority rules!

Hemicuda
Old 12-09-2008, 01:27 AM
HEMICUDA

Chung,

Go to the Electric Aircraft universe here at R/C, go to the park flyer section and then go to the
Hobbico Flyzone J-3 Cub thread. We have a nice following of misfits who plucked down $160
on this non-flying yellow turd and you can read all about our attempted upgrades and misadventures.

Hemicuda
Old 12-09-2008, 01:38 AM
psb667

Chung the super cub mentioned earlier is the way to go for first timers the piper is small twitchy and unforgiving in its flight characteristics and construction
Old 12-09-2008, 01:52 AM
chungenhung

ORIGINAL: HEMICUDA

Chung,

Go to the Electric Aircraft universe here at R/C, go to the park flyer section and then go to the
Hobbico Flyzone J-3 Cub thread. We have a nice following of misfits who plucked down $160
on this non-flying yellow turd and you can read all about our attempted upgrades and misadventures.

Hemicuda
Ok, i've looked around.
I purcahsed mine from nitroplanes.com, and the complete name is "Exceed RC 3-Channel J3 Piper Cub EP Electric RC Airplane 100% Ready-to-Fly"
Link is [link=http://www.nitroplanes.com/j3pipercub.html]http://www.nitroplanes.com/j3pipercub.html[/link]
So it is a Exceed RC plane, but same Piper Cub Name.
Is this the same J-3 Cub that you said were crap?????
I need a response asap. thanks
Old 12-09-2008, 03:18 AM
psb667

Nope its the fz piper you need to look out for. Interesting plane I dont know what the construction is looks ok on the web site.
Old 12-09-2008, 02:04 PM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

Most of the Exceed RC stuff I've got my hands on has turned out to be pretty good quality, chungenhung. The specific J3 Cub that HEMICUDA was disparaging was the Hobbico Flyzone Piper J3 Cub RTF. Hobbico makes a Cessna RTF and J3 RTF that are both heavy, underpowered, and a challenge to fly.

Hobbyzone makes a Super Cub RTF and Mini Super Cub RTF that fly well and are quite popular. Parkzone just recently introduced a 3-channel Piper J3 Cub brushless RTF that is reputed to be a great flying plane, as well.

If I had to pick between the Exceed RC J3 Cub that you got, or the Hobbico Flyzone Piper J3 Cub RTF, I would have picked the Exceed RC one, too. Let us now how things go once you receive your plane.
Old 12-09-2008, 02:49 PM
HEMICUDA

Chung,

No, the Exceed is a different plane altogether. for one it is a 3ch not 4ch. It is also brushed powered,
and it is not as bad as the Flyzone Cub from what I hear, but you still get what you pay for and atleast
you cut the price in half. Don't worry about the name "Piper J-3 Cub", that's the actual plane that the
models are based on. Not all Piper Cub models are bad, there's lots of the that are quite nice, but most
of the nice ones are ARFs or kits. Just avoid anything from Flyzone! The exceed is ok, but for a little
more $ you can get a better plane, the new Mini Supercub is $119 and $ 159 for the full sized Supercub,
both from HobbyZone and both are RTF. I've been flying for a year, I have an Electristar, Alpha 40
Glow, and the crappy Flyzone J-3 Cub and I'm buying a SuperCub in the spring so I'll have a nice,
relaxing park flyer to fly whenever and wherever!

Hemicuda
Old 12-09-2008, 02:54 PM
HEMICUDA

Chung,

No, the Exceed is a different plane altogether. for one it is a 3ch not 4ch. It is also brushed powered,
and it is not as bad as the Flyzone Cub from what I hear, but you still get what you pay for and atleast
you cut the price in half. Don't worry about the name "Piper J-3 Cub", that's the actual plane that the
models are based on. Not all Piper Cub models are bad, there's lots of the that are quite nice, but most
of the nice ones are ARFs or kits. Just avoid anything from Flyzone! The exceed is ok, but for a little
more $ you can get a better plane, the new Mini Supercub is $119 and $ 159 for the full sized Supercub,
both from HobbyZone and both are RTF. I've been flying for a year, I have 3 planes: Electristar,
Alpha 40 Glow, and the crappy Flyzone J-3 Cub and I'm buying a SuperCub in the spring so I'll have a nice,
relaxing park flyer to fly whenever and wherever!

Hemicuda
Old 12-09-2008, 03:29 PM
chungenhung

great to hear that the exceed rc piper is not crap!
whew. i was scared for a bit.
i think this is good enough for me being a starter.
i will buy better plane say after xmas or whenever i get better at it.
Old 12-09-2008, 10:13 PM
HEMICUDA

chung,

There threads on the Exceed plane also, and it is called different names from different companies.
One such is the Shun-Da, same plane same price. One site even offers the cub in a Army OD green paint
scheme! Ididn't say the Exceed was good, just not as bad as the Flyzone Cub. Good Luck and
remember that you're just starting out, you'll be stepping up to better planes and gear in the future...
just don't make the mistake of getting RTF after RTF. Get this one to start out on, and then later
down the road get a quality Radio setup and an ARF or 2... high winged trainer first, 40 size
and so on. Again good luck and welcome to the wallet-emptying hobby of RC![8D]

Hemicuda
Old 12-09-2008, 10:40 PM
chungenhung

well, i am a PC hobbyist, and i don't think rc is wallet emptying.
PC parts are way expensive and price drop like crazy.
Old 12-09-2008, 11:56 PM
HEMICUDA

Yes, electronic technology is disposable nowadays, except this hobby of course... much smaller
following. I keep forgetting how alot of people in this hobby that money is not a concern, I can
tell they're rich and well off they are just by watching their vids as they fly over their homes/neighborhoods.
No offense to anyone out there, or to you chung, rich or not, just an observation IMO. But there are alot of
people out there who are concerned with their $ and I understand the position of not wanting to spend
a fortune getting into the hobby at first and don't want their first plane to be a mistake. Those are what
these threads are for.

Hemicuda

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.