Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

expericened at flying but not building

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

expericened at flying but not building

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 09:21 PM
bob8619

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default expericened at flying but not building

i have built about 6 or 7 ARFs but never a full kit, whats a good kit to start out with that isnt a trainer plane? i love corsairs but i heard that its too advanced for me. but i dont want to build a trainer because i wouldnt even want to fly it since im beyond trainers. also, are those smaller wooden non flying model kits about the same as a larger kit? maybe i can build one or two of those to learn tricks or are they completely different than a flying model? any input will be appreciated, bottom line question is is there any kit for beginner builders that isnt a trainer? thanks
Old 12-07-2008, 09:28 PM
Minnreefer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: expericened at flying but not building

From what I have read, a sigsomething extra is about the easiest kit you can build, I also think that a sig 4* is pretty easy, I think a sig hog bipe is doable but will require more paitence and reading threads about it in the kits section.

Hope that helps

Jon
Old 12-07-2008, 09:33 PM
cold_reboot
My Feedback: (20)

Building a kit really isn't as hard as it seems at first, just don't open the box look at all the wood and say "I'll never be able to do this". Because you can. There are plenty of planes that wouldn't be considered a trainer that you can build, depending on your definition of Trainer. The Sig 4 Star and Goldberg Tiger are popular models, although some would call them "low wing" trainers. Sig Something Extra isn't a trainer. Great Planes Ultra Sports, Super Sportsters, Extra 300S, etc.. If you like Corsairs you could always get a stand off scale like the Great Planes Corsair 40 size, easy to build, and a good flier. For a first time build that has flying experience I'd probably say go with the Sig Something Extra, all laser cut "slot and tab" design. First kit I built was the Sig 4 Star 40. Very easy to build.
Old 12-07-2008, 09:38 PM
carrellh

Sig four stars and somethin extra are supposed to be good first builds; I have not built any of them.

I am currently working on a Great Planes Rapture 40 (my 4th kit) and I think it could be a first build. My first three are Great Planes PT-60, Tower Hobbies Uproar 60, Great Planes Corsair 40.

The Corsair wing was very challenging. I got it built but would not recommend it as a first project. It actually 'burned me out' for a while and my brother built the fuselage and finished the model.

The Uproar could also be a first build. The hardest part of that build is shaping the leading edge of the wings. Buying a razor plane defintely helped.
Old 12-07-2008, 09:43 PM
dragnbye

if you want something super super easy look into a profile. (omp) SUPER easy yo build becusr you just lay the fuse down on a flat talbe and there wing are built with out jig's. also the people who run it are all family and will help out anyway. also with a profile you can use your weaker servo and smaller engines and still have a killer plane

o ya to add 1 more thing i paid 69.00 for my profile, and had the fuse done in a day
Old 12-07-2008, 09:50 PM
bob8619

thanks for your help. but i want to rephrase my question after reading some of your replies. lets say i bought a plane ive been thinking about, the topflight corsair .60 or 61 i forget what it is exactly. i know it would be difficult but would you say that id be completely lost and probably never finish it without starting with an easier model? or maybe even a mustang kit, since that doesnt have the gull wing. i dont mind if it took me a long time to build, im in no rush. but all of you have more experience and id like to know if you think its a complete waste of time jumping into a project like a corsair or mustang? im not just looking for an easy build id dont mind a challenge but i dont know if i would be in too deep with something like the planes i mentioned.
Old 12-07-2008, 10:07 PM
cold_reboot
My Feedback: (20)

If you want to jump in with both feet like that, buying the gull wing Corsair will only make the road that much more difficult. The instructions that accompany the Top Flite and Great Planes birds are excellent. Anyone that can read and is patient can "probably" build anything they manufacture. I say probably because if you aren't patient you'll end up throwing it in the dump before you ever finish it. There is something to be said about building an airframe that you want to build because you like the plane (full size) to begin with, provides a little extra incentive. If you want to build a mustang I'd try my hand at the Great Planes Mustang before the Top Flite. The Top Flite will throw more difficult things at you, like flaps and different construction because of the size. The Great Planes Musstang doesn't have flaps, nothing fancy, but it is designed to use retracts if you wanted them. The Great Planes Corsair was the first warbird (albeit stand off, which most models are to a degree) I built, and as Carrel said...it was time consuming, but not necessarily difficult. The Top Flite Corsair is going to be exponentially more time consuming to the point that you may get burnt out. If you insist on a Top Flite Warbird, the P47 is arguably the best flying plane in the whole bunch.
Old 12-07-2008, 10:50 PM
hogflyer

Depending on what your flying skill level is, one very good kit to get into scale warbirds is the Top Flight T-34. Granted it's not a WWII fighter, but a warbird none the less. It has a reputation for very good flying characteristics, a .61 2c will fly it (but .91 2c works better), you can equip it with flaps and retracts, and since it has tricycle landing gear it'll be a lot easier to handle on the ground.

Hogflyer
Old 12-07-2008, 10:56 PM
NorfolkSouthern

I'll have to second Cold Boot's recommendation of the Great Planes Mustang. I looked at the instructions, and the kit doesn't seem like it would be as difficult as other warbirds. I must caution, however, that the Rapture 40 I built took me from November, all the way into March. Fortunately, that wasn't from working on it every day, as I often afforded the opportunity to put it down when ever I felt frustrated. Keep in mind that there will be a good bit of sanding and carving involved for a first build like this.

NorfolkSouthern
Old 12-08-2008, 07:53 AM
mclina

Just to answer your question about the small wooden non-flying models - I built a couple of Guillow's and Dumas kits as "practice" before I built my first R/C kit. It actually works better the other way around. The Guillow's kits, especially the really cheap ($8) ones, are tough to build. The pieces need a lot of attention, and the tiny bits can be hard to work with. They are fun to build, and nice to look at on your shelf, but it is actually easier to build a Four Star or SSE than a Guillow's kit.

Good luck.
Old 12-08-2008, 10:36 AM
bkdavy
My Feedback: (1)

Just about any of the Great Planes kits are excellent for the new builder. They have detailed instructions, tips on how to do basic steps, which glues to use and when, and can be followed step by step. Just read the directions several times through, get a picture in your head of what you're doing, dry fit things before you glue, and have a nice flat surface to work on. My first build was a GP Cap 232, followed up by a GP Spirit and I had a blast on both. I'm now stick building from plans based on what I learned from those kits.

Brad
Old 12-08-2008, 11:02 AM
hogflyer

Here's a build thread from the other forum for a [link=http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=946693]Sig Kavalier[/link]. While the Kavalier is a shoulder wing and touted as an secondary trainer, it'll do all the aerobatics most other sport planes will do, and with the controls stepped up it a very good sport plane you won't get bored with. This kit is typical Sig with excellent instructions (it was designed back in the pre-ARF days when you had to build your plane if you wanted to fly) and you'll really learn a lot about building from it.

Another plane that will give you an excellent education in building that its not as tough to build as many want tout is the Sig Astro Hog. Its big, lots of wood, takes a while, but gives a great flying classic.

Hogflyer
Old 12-08-2008, 02:22 PM
bruce88123

Builing technique is as important as WHAT you build. Read through this thread for methods http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_34...tm.htm#3439708
Old 12-08-2008, 02:35 PM
brett65
My Feedback: (18)

Start crashing more, and you'll become a better builder![sm=thumbs_up.gif][sm=wink_smile.gif]