Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Engine problems needle valve adj

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Engine problems needle valve adj

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 08:33 PM
maxwell18

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine problems needle valve adj

I am a newbie on this, but worked on military a/c for 34 years recip and jets. I have a new NexStar with a Max FXi 46 and I am breaking it in. It has a limiter to limit the travel on the adj of the needle valve but is suppose to be able to fine tune witin the limits. Runs rich I turned the needle valve to the limit stops clock wise. I cannot get it over about 60 percent it just quits no matter where the needle valve is. Have fuel all over the side of the a/c running just a few minutes. All this is running on the ground. After it stops fuel dripping out of the muffler. I know it is way too rich. Has anybody heard about this problem or am I turning the needle valve too fast?
Thanks

Old 12-08-2008, 08:47 PM
flaminheli

Default RE: Engine problems needle valve adj

How many tanks have you ran thru it? I had to remove the limiter on my son's Nexstar and turn it in (lean) 1 1/2 turns to get it to run right after a four tanks of fuel. It was way to rich from the factory, as far as I am concerned, even for breakin. During the breakin it would not go past about 75% throttle with the settings the factory had the limiter set at.
Old 12-08-2008, 08:53 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

That limiter on the engine is one of the more useless things that has been installed on it. When the engine is tuned at the factory and the limiter is put on it, it makes it very hard for other that may have different weather conditions to tune the engine. The best advice I can offer is to simply remove the limiter and then properly tune the engine. You'll save yourself a lot of heartburn as you can the plane running properly in a matter of seconds!!

Ken
Old 12-08-2008, 09:37 PM
Steve Steinbring

Do as others suggested get rid of the the limiter. The next thing I'd do is disconnect the Co-pilot self righting feature on the airplane it will cause you problems down the road in learning to fly well.

Then find yourself an instructor at the local club to help you get started properly. I was an Air Force pilot and I assure you that your aircraft experience is valuable. With that said this is a different ballgame, get some help you'll be time and money ahead.

Welcome to the addiction

Steve
Old 12-08-2008, 10:29 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I haven't seen a Evolution glow engine at the flying field that didn't have the limiters removed or at least moved.

These engines are not run at the factory any more. The factory puts the limiters on in a range where they think the engine will run. I think someone at the Sanye company has their calculations off?
Old 12-09-2008, 08:26 PM
maxwell18

I did take your advise and got rid of the limiter. It was out about a full turn. This was a disapointment as I was thinking they (manufacture) would not make and sell something that did not work without modtiflying it. It runs great now..Thanks
Bruce
Old 12-09-2008, 08:44 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If you are happy - we are happy