Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Please help?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Please help?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 09:27 PM
Jacked69

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help?

I have no idea what is going on but my Alpha 40 engine is doing something weird, when I start it up the engine actually starts the wrong way and goes in reverse, it idles and runs fine but as you hit the throttle the plane goes backwards as does the prop. What the hell is going on??
Old 12-09-2008, 09:37 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: Please help?

Our engines can and will start and run backwards. The most common cause of this the engine is over-primed, basically has too much fuel in it. The best way to prime your engine is without the glow driver in place open the throttle fully, cover the carb mouth (or the end of the muffler), and turn the engine over by hand. When you see the fuel enter into to carb turn the engine over 1-3 more times. Then close the throttle and try to start the engine. If it still runs backwards then you are still priming too much, so simply reduce the number of turns when fuel enters the carb.

Ken
Old 12-09-2008, 09:39 PM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

An electric starter will also aid in getting the engine to run in the proper direction. Good Luck, Dave
Old 12-09-2008, 09:43 PM
Bob Mitchell

ORIGINAL: Jacked69

I have no idea what is going on but my Alpha 40 engine is doing something weird, when I start it up the engine actually starts the wrong way and goes in reverse, it idles and runs fine but as you hit the throttle the plane goes backwards as does the prop. What the hell is going on??
It's not uncommon, and is usually due to over priming the engine. When it happens, try cycling the trottle from open to closed a few times, pausing just a bit at closed. That may get it running forward. If not, just stop the engine and restart without priming again.

My Evo 61 actually starts easier for me if I bump it backwards against compression. Believe it or not I have less trouble with reverse starts doing it that way. Using an electric starter will cure the problem totally.
Old 12-10-2008, 09:50 AM
Stick 40

I like the elect. starter idea, keeps my fingers away from the prop.... Been nicked once and thats enough.

sticks
Old 12-10-2008, 11:03 AM
jetmech05

Electric starters for me
Old 12-10-2008, 11:09 AM
Jacked69

That was the thing that I did not get, I was using an electric starter when the engine fired up backwards. I checked to make sure the + and - where in the correct spot but they where. I fired it up again last night and it did fire up the correct way, so hopefully the problem is solved. Thanks for your help fellas.
Old 12-10-2008, 11:18 AM
crossman

The first time my wife watched me flip-start a plane, and then saw another guy using a starter, She took me straight to the LHS to get me one. I guess she likes my hands the way they are. I carry a stick, but I rarely use it.

Chuck

Old 12-10-2008, 12:05 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

An engine starting backwards really isn't a big deal for the engine. But the biggest problem when it happens is the danger from the prop. Many times when the engine starts backwards it will roll backwards and risk hitting your hand. Also, many times trying to kill it people will hurt their hands trying to kill the engine. Just be carefull when it does start backwards.

Ken
Old 12-10-2008, 09:30 PM
Jacked69

I got it all fixed, the actual problem was first it was flooded and second the hobby shop put the wrong red and black markings on my new electric starter, so I thought I was having them in the correct spot on my flight box panel but the colors where backwards when they put them on for me. Yes you are right that scared the hell out of me, it rolled right at me and I quickly took off the fuel line from behind after putting my gallon of fuel in front of the elevator as I always do so it did not get to roll much. Thanks for you help fellas.
Old 12-10-2008, 10:18 PM
millertym2000
My Feedback: (4)

my sullivan starter has to be hooked up with the red clip hooked to the neg post and the black clip hooked to the pos. post for it to turn in the right direction.