Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Futaba FASST 2.4

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Futaba FASST 2.4

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 12:59 PM
richardgerardi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Futaba FASST 2.4

I just finished a new plane and bought a new receiver for the Futaba 2.4 7C system. I linked the tx and the rx and entered a new plane name. I noticed that even with a different name my other plane responds. Is this supposed to happen? I thought that when you select a different plane in the model plane section it would only respond to that plane. Thanks for any input.
Old 12-10-2008, 01:03 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Futaba FASST 2.4

Nope, that's normal
Old 12-10-2008, 01:08 PM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: richardgerardi
I thought that when you select a different plane in the model plane section it would only respond to that plane.
That's a Spektrum/JR radio feature. Unfortunately Futaba doesn't do it. Be very careful when you fly to make sure you have the right plane selected on the transmitter. I've seen people crash that way.
Old 12-10-2008, 01:27 PM
Bob Mitchell

ORIGINAL: richardgerardi

I just finished a new plane and bought a new receiver for the Futaba 2.4 7C system. I linked the tx and the rx and entered a new plane name. I noticed that even with a different name my other plane responds. Is this supposed to happen? I thought that when you select a different plane in the model plane section it would only respond to that plane. Thanks for any input.
Any receiver linked/bound to the transmitter will respond if it's turned on, regardless of the model you set up in the transmitter. The name function effects the mix, trim, endpoint, etc settings on the transmitter ONLY. It allows you to recall the settings for a particular airplane, ie, Sig 4* or Cessna 182, however if you recall/setup the transmitter for the Sig, but the plane you want to fly is the Cessna, the receiver will indeed respond.

You have to verify for yourself that the plane you are actually going to fly is indeed the one set up by name in the transmitter.

One of the other manufacturers takes the additional step of pairing both the transmitter AND receiver by name, but Futaba doesn't....at least not yet. It's a good idea.
Old 12-10-2008, 01:29 PM
EASYJETRIDER

That's definitely normal - I had the same concerns when I first introduced a second model. Providing you have the correct model selected on the TX corresponding to the one you want to fly, you'll be OK. Trust me.
Old 12-10-2008, 01:32 PM
richardgerardi

So it is normal? Thanks for information.
Old 12-10-2008, 01:38 PM
brett65
My Feedback: (18)

Yeah, just add a radio id check to your preflight now. I have 5 planes in my Futaba and have to double check all the time. I put them together with reversed throttle on some and normal on others to decrease the chance of setting the wrong plane.
Old 12-10-2008, 01:46 PM
richardgerardi

Excellent ideas. Thanks for the input maybe I should use my Spectrum instead.
Old 12-10-2008, 02:00 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

You'll be fine with the Futaba. Just add a pre-flight check to your list. Way back when I got my first computer radio I flew once with the wrong plane selected, wound up with the ailerons reversed. As you can imagine, the flight didn't last too long. Ever since then I make it part of my routine to do a control check. Sitting on the runway before applying power to take off I will quickly run through and make sure that my controls are correct.. ailerons, elevator and rudder. Once I'm sure they are correct I will take off.

BTW, you will only ever take off with the wrong plane selected only once!!! After you do it once you'll never make that mistake again!!!

Ken
Old 12-10-2008, 02:42 PM
bruce88123

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Spektrum has a "Patent Pending" on that feature. It's nice but not mandatory. People have been successfully flying computer radios under these conditions for well over a decade by just being careful. And there are others that will screw up no matter how many safe-guards you install. Engage brain and then the radio is the best sequence.
Old 12-10-2008, 04:15 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Pearls of Wisdom from Bruce!!! I keep from 6 to 9 planes programmed in my 9-C Futaba and so far I have never taken up the wrong plane. I have started the wrong plane A number of times though before I started doing A pre flight check. I do that anyway with all radios and planes these days, don't care if it's A DX7 or 9303.
Old 12-10-2008, 06:19 PM
chemie

While we are on the subject, can someone explain how the binding works?

Does the Rx have a unqiue ID and the Tx then sends out it's instructions tied to that ID?

Or does that Tx have a unique ID and the Rx only "listens" to that Tx?

I am wondering from the point of view of multiple Tx and multiple Rx how it is kept straight.
Old 12-10-2008, 07:02 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

In the simplest of terms, the TX has a unique code. When you go through the binding process you are telling the receiver to only listen to the transmitter that it's bound to.

Ken
Old 12-10-2008, 07:55 PM
MikeL
My Feedback: (3)

I'd suggest checking the controls (and the model selection!) well before getting to the runway. The best time is before you start the engine. You don't want to discover that you have the wrong model when your engine starts at 3/4 throttle rather than 1/4 throttle! It's easy to see the throttle position with an upright two-stroke that's not in a cowl, but other engine mountings can make it hard to visually check that.

I really do like the Model Match feature. Yes, thinking is important. Yes, checklists (paper or otherwise) are important. But we all get complacent, we all make mistakes, and we all think we know which model memory our transmitter is set to. Nobody needs Model Match, but we all screw up. It's one less area where something can go wrong. That's never a bad thing.