Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Great Planes Cosmic Wind?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Great Planes Cosmic Wind?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 02:09 AM
Jacked69

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Great Planes Cosmic Wind?

I have flown my pulse XT 60 with the saito .91 a few hours now and am looking for my 3rd plane to get me ready for my TF p51, I heard the Cosmic wind would be the one to get me ready, has anyone flown one of these? They look VERY sharp with the shape of the wing, I heard they are VERY fast but landings are nice and slow. Any input would be great. Thank you all.
Old 12-12-2008, 08:54 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Great Planes Cosmic Wind?

1) Add about a pound of weight to your Pulse XT.

2) Get used to flying it that way

3) Get the P-51
Old 12-12-2008, 09:50 AM
Jacked69

Ok, thank you for advice, I do have the P-51 because I could not pass up a deal as someone was selling there 60 size spitfire with a golden knight 100 and all electronics that was flown 3 times, so I talked him into selling the engine and electronics only for 350$ which the engine alone costs. So I just ordered the TF Gold Edition ARF and put it aside for when I am ready for the P-51.
Old 12-12-2008, 11:03 AM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The added weight to your Pulse is a great idea. Another option is the GP Revolver. It is on the heavy side for its size and doesn't seem to want to slow down easily after you chop the throttle. It doesn't fly exactly like the P-51 but wing loading and landing at least "feel" similar.
Old 12-13-2008, 09:06 AM
Jacked69

Thank you Chuck, I will check that one out right now, I flew my pulse for the first time a few days ago and have about 3 flights on her now, WOW I have to honestly say it is easier to handle and land than my ALpha 40 trainer. Why is that?? My mind is boggled. IT lands so slow its not even funny, without the float of a trainer. And with that golden knight .91 sticking out of the cowl makes it look really really bad $#$
Old 12-13-2008, 09:26 AM
MinnFlyer

It's kind of like going from a tricycle to a bicycle. A tricycle is easier to learn the basics on, like pedaling and using handle bars (Which you never did before)

But once you've learned the basics, a bicycle is a much better ride!
Old 12-13-2008, 09:40 AM
Jacked69

Nice way to put it Minn LOL.... You are right though. I am going to put about 30 hours on her which I will do by the spring, I am looking around for my 3rd plane now before I fly my top flite p-51 with the golden knight 100 can anyone suggest a good 3rd before the P51? A friend of mine is selling a FW 190 with a .56 magnum would that be a good plane? He barley used it and only wants 225$ and has a 58'' wingspan. Thanks alot fellas you have all been really really helpfull, I learned so much here and its nice to know people like you on here remember how it was when you first started rather than attacking newbies like my old board that I had to leave I got ridiculed so much.
Old 12-13-2008, 09:42 AM
Jacked69

BTW how do I add a pound of weight? And where should I put the extra pound at? Should I just use stick on weights like I put on my RC8 FT 8th scale buggy to have it land flat and balance it out?
Old 12-13-2008, 09:43 AM
bbbair

With a bit of reading you can learn a lot about the Cosmic Wind at this thread;

http://www.rccanada.ca/rccforum/show...ht=cosmic+wind

I don't think it is a good plane for a newbie, but that depends on the pilot...

Happy Landings!
Old 12-13-2008, 10:01 AM
MinnFlyer

No, the Cosmic Wind is NOT a good idea.

As for adding a pound - you could use stick-on weights, just be sure the CG is right
Old 12-13-2008, 11:06 AM
russm

you guys are kiding, right? put a pound of weight on the pulse? the minnow and revolver are high performance planes, not for people just starting out.
Old 12-13-2008, 11:13 AM
Jacked69

Well I am not really just starting out, I have flown the pulse with the saito 91 really well, can someone list some suggestions as to a good 3rd plane for me then? Thank you all.
Old 12-13-2008, 11:43 AM
MinnFlyer

If you can fly the pulse really well, adding weight to it will make it fly similar to the TF P-51.

You really don't need a third plane, just get used to the heavy pulse and move up to the P-51

If you really want a third plane, you could try the H-9 P-51. It flies much more like a sport plane than a warbird and can give you some good experience
Old 12-13-2008, 01:24 PM
masonman

You don't land a Giant P 51 anything like a pulse. You can't milk a 84.5 in mustang in the way you can a pulse or fourstar. I have seen it. They stall, cause of the wing loading.Watch the warbird guys sometime. They drop the flaps, add power an land at a pretty steep angle. at least the guys I've seen that fly them more than twice, before rolling them up on the runway.................
Old 12-13-2008, 03:02 PM
jaka

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi!
If ANY plane stalls easily ...it's has a too high wing loading (or twisted wing)...doesn't mean all war birds are that way!
Build the Mustang light and it flies just like any other low wing sport airplane (Good). But if you just put piece A to piece B when you build...then expect most WW 2 airplanes to be a little demanding.
Old 12-13-2008, 03:40 PM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you happen to see the latest issue of Fly RC, there is a good article from Scott Stoops on wing loading. It specifically talks about "cube loading" characteristics. Rather than go into detail, he basically talks about the cube loading number being a good indicator of flight characteristics since as planes change in size the once per square foot wing loading value affects the plane differently. There is a good calculator here http://flyrc.com/calculator.shtml

Using this calculator, you could make the pulse weigh around 12 pounds to get it to fly somewhat similar to the P-51. Would I make my Pulse weigh 12 pounds? No. What I would do though is add a pound like Minnflyer suggested then maybe add a second pound then make the final step to the Mustang. You just need to get used to the heavier plane needing to fly faster and land faster and how that affects its behavior.
Old 12-13-2008, 04:10 PM
Jacked69

Thanks alot fellas, I will do that, btw just to be clear I did not get the giant P-51 I got the 60 Size P-51. I will add a pound and fly it for awhile and then add one more pound as you suggested. Thanks for the advice..
Old 12-13-2008, 05:29 PM
jrcaster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You may want to add a few ounces at a time so the flight/stall characteristics are not so drastic.
Old 12-13-2008, 07:58 PM
Jacked69

Good call, thanks for the advice JR.