Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

few ?s on my trainer

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

few ?s on my trainer

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2008, 09:11 AM
Jacked69

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default few ?s on my trainer

I have an alpha 40 that has about 30 hours on it, I was just curious how the acrobatics of that trainer compare to the Avistar or PT40? What is the better quality plane of the 3 as I am going to get one for my fiancee for xmas. I want to keep my alpha as a winter flyer and just to fly when I feel like kicking back and going slow. Also what can I do to the under side of the wing to make it where I know which way it is pitched because the bottom of my wing is all white, can I add some strips of stick on covering or something like that? Also one more question, what engine size can the Alpha handle if I where to want a larger one? Also does anyone know of any snow skis that are actually easy to put on because I got a pair of DuBro skis and when I put them on they move and flex so much it actually touches the bottom of the aircraft. Will water floats work for snow? Thank you all and sorry for all the questions.
Old 12-13-2008, 09:30 AM
bruce88123

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: few ?s on my trainer

The Avistar would be more aerobatic and faster with the same engine. Quality? About the same I'd say. Biggest engine for the Alpha? I'd stay with a 55AX or equiv or less. Which way pitched? Don't really understand the question I guess. I've flown solid color planes a lot and never had orientation problems.
Old 12-13-2008, 09:47 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The Alpha is similar to the PT40 as they are both basic trainers with flat-bottom wings. The Avistar is a small step up with a semi-symmetrical wing which will bake it a bit more areobatic and maneuverable.

Quality is similar

Add a 6" wide dark colored band to the bottom side of the wings (Red, Blue, Black, etc) Or a large circle, star or other design. You can use a stick on or iron on covering, but be sure to clean the entire area at least 3 times with alcohol and a clean paper towel first.

A good ball bearing 46 would be more than enough, a 50ish engine would be overkill on an Alpha, you'd be better off using a big engine on a more advanced plane.

Can't comment on skis - when it's cold, I stay home
Old 12-13-2008, 09:48 AM
Villa

Hi Jacked69
My guess is you are not mounting the skis correctly. I have a set that works perfectly on my flat type gear with separate axles. Do you have the wire type gear? The directions show that it works with the wire type gear also. Look at the directions again. If you have a question on the wire type gear, go http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_8156450/tm.htm and ask mclina how he mounts the same skis to his wire gear.
Old 12-13-2008, 09:52 AM
PA BEN

Up the throws on your alpha 40. Fly the hell out of it. Set your low rates normal and max out your high rates. Then go for it, have a good pilot with you when you fly a new plane to help you.
Old 12-13-2008, 10:16 AM
Jacked69

Thank you all very much, you have all been great, I will add a few stripes of black about 4-6'' wide on the alpha wings, I dont always have trouble telling oriontation but it would not hurt anything and would look pretty cool if I get a US Airforce sticker for her. LOL.....