Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Battery Charging- What works best?!

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Battery Charging- What works best?!

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2008, 12:09 AM
bocajeff

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery Charging- What works best?!

I'm trying to come up with an efficient system for all of the battery charging needs that are faced with the RC Plane hobby. I would really appreciate any suggestions or examples of what people have found effective.

I just set up my field box with a [link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXACW8]Tower Hobbies Deluxe Power Panel[/link], and a [link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXL370]Hobbico TorqMaster LC 12V 7Amp Battery[/link], and I am looking for suggestions on what works best for charging on and off the field.

I have a 12v Schumaker Speed Charger that I use for auto and lawn batteries, that has 70amp Engine Start charge, 20 amp Rapid Charge, and 2 amp slow charge, and I was thinking about using bananna plugs on the front of the power panel to charge my field box when I get home from the field, so I can leave the 12v battery installed in the box without having to remove it. I could also buy the [link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXL353&P=ML]Hobbico 12 Volt Charger[/link] that is recommended for $10 and cut off the gator clips and install bannana plugs on it (I think).

I am also tempted to buy the [link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&W=001674191&I=LXCTZ5&P=K]Hobbico Quick Field DC Charger MkII 12 Volt[/link] and optional Tx\Rx charge leads, mount it to my field box, and use it to charge the 12v field box battery, Spektrum DX7, and my Spektrum 4.8V 1100 mAhr NiCd 4 Cell Rx Packs.

Also, does anyone recommend the [link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&W=001674191&I=LXHDJ2&P=K]Hobbico VoltWatch2 4.8V/6V Rx Battery Monitor [/link] for use in the plane, and the [link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&W=001674191&I=LXDXG9&P=K]Hobbico VoltWatch 12V Field Power [/link] to solder to the 12v battery and mount outside the field box?

Thanks for any help...

Old 12-14-2008, 01:00 AM
Crash Campbell

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Battery Charging- What works best?!

Hi bocajeff,

The question you have asked is impossible to answer. There are a host of battery chargers out there that will fulfill a wide range of needs. You need to refine exactly what you require now and in the immediate future. eg:
Do you want to be able to charge nicads, nimh, pb, lipos etc?
Do you want the charger to run off mains power, 12V or both?
Do you want to be able to charge more than one battery pack at a time?
What is your budget?

I use a charger that allows me to use mains power or 12V and allows me to charge any type of battery generally used in RC flying however it does only charge one battery pack at a time and I sometimes wish I had shelled out more $$s for one that would do multiple packs.

What you are proposing seems reasonable regarding charging the field box batteryand anything that will monitor RX batteries under load can only be of assistance and possibly save you a model. I'm personally not a fan of "fast" chargers as I like to be able to set the charge rate.

Cheers,

Colin
Old 12-14-2008, 01:17 AM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

I think the Voltwatch in your plane for your Rx batteries is priceless.
Old 12-14-2008, 06:12 AM
skyraider71

Jeff, I'll give you a few options.
1. I'll assume that you are new to the hobby. Use the wall-wart that came with your radio, charge Rx and
Tx over night. Use the Hobbico quick field charger (about 50 bucks) for quick re-peaks at the field. Use a
12v wall-wart (12 bucks) for your fieldbox. This set-up will get you through while you are learning.
2. Option two is to get yourself a good multi-fuction charger. These will charge everything you own,
including your field box. The LiPo funtion will come in handy later. Most of these require a 12v supply.
Check out the GP Triton series. The MRC SuperBrain series are AC/DC and a good buy (I still have my
old 959). Expect to pay $75. to $130.
3. Skyraider option: I use a GP Triton to charge everything before I leave for the field. I only charge
my field box every other week. I use my Hobbico field charger to re-peak at the field, it's mounted on
my box, I leave the Triton at home. Instead of a Voltwatch, I use a hobbico analog voltmeter to check
my Rx packs after EVERY flight! Since I have Three planes, a voltmeter is more economical and accurate.
I also use my Triton to cycle my packs during the off-season.
Battery management for glow models is not difficult. Keep in mind that opinions on this subject vary. What
works for me may not be the preferences of others. Good luck.......Dan[sm=shades_smile.gif]
Old 12-14-2008, 10:35 AM
Jetdesign

I use wall warts for everything, and have one computer controlled charger for whenever it's necessary - field charging, conditioning, peaking, etc.

I went for the option of getting big enough batteries that shouldn't need charging at the field. If they do, my charger came with every connection you could ask for, and anything I have can be charged at the field.

[link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXUAB8&P=ML]my charger[/link]
Old 12-14-2008, 10:37 AM
bocajeff

Thanks. I am new with the hobby, and still deep in the learning curve with the battery options out there. I would prefer to stick in a AA battery when I need to.

I'll be using glow engines for a while until I move into gas engines. I'm starting with a Nexstar 46 with OS .46 engine. I can use the wall-warts at home for the 12v field box battery, Spektrum DX7, and my "2" Spektrum 4.8V 1100 mAhr NiCd 4 Cell Rx Packs, but I would be willing to pay more for a consolidated option...."plug'em all into one and walk away". I guess I could set up a corner of my garage with a power strip, plug in all the warts, and hit an on\off switch....

When I get to the field, I'm assuming I would drain the 2 4.8v receiver batteries at least three to four times, and will need to be able to recharge them quickly between flights. Is the Hobbico Fast Charger the best option for that? Can I use the 12v field box battery to re charge them?

Thanks again for everyones help.
Old 12-14-2008, 10:53 AM
bocajeff

Ouch... "Conditioning, peaking, cycling etc. " That's the next chapter in my book of battery learning.....[X(]

The Venom charger you refer to looks like a great option, as does the MRC Super Brain 989 that Skyraider mentioned.

I have read about other people dumping the 4 cell rx packs for 5 or 6 cell packs to use in flight, and I like that idea too. What would be good replacements for the 4.8V 1100 mAhr NiCd 4 Cell Rx Packs that come with a Spektrum DX7 AR7000 receiver?
Old 12-14-2008, 02:09 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you feel like you need some more good advice on the care and feeding of all types of batteries, check out www.rcbatteryclinic.com for some excellent advice and tips. You can get a lot of not-so-good advice on batteries in the forums as there is probably more inaccurate or half truths on batteries than on any other topic.
Take Regan's advice "Trust but verify" before acting on it.
Old 12-14-2008, 03:03 PM
bocajeff

ORIGINAL: Rodney

If you feel like you need some more good advice on the care and feeding of all types of batteries, check out www.rcbatteryclinic.com for some excellent advice and tips. You can get a lot of not-so-good advice on batteries in the forums as there is probably more inaccurate or half truths on batteries than on any other topic.
Take Regan's advice "Trust but verify" before acting on it.

Great Link. Thank You!
Old 12-14-2008, 03:46 PM
Jetdesign

Also, RadicalRC.com . On the bottom of the page is 'battery university' and all kinds of info about charging, batteries, chargers,etc.
Old 12-14-2008, 05:34 PM
Laurence-RCU

What is a wall-wart? I suspect the type of charger that comes with a radio, but I'm not sure.
Old 12-14-2008, 05:53 PM
jrcaster

Wall-wart is the name given to the plug in transformer adapters/chargers where you plug the thing into the wall and looks hidious, thus the name "wall-wart."
Old 12-14-2008, 08:18 PM
Laurence-RCU

Thanks much.

Laurence
Old 12-15-2008, 07:00 AM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

Just keep in mind that no matter what you use as a charger, the longer the charge time, the better it is for the batteries. Slow is best. The fast chargers are good for use at the field to quick charge before or after a flight or two. For electric flight, a few spares charged at home before you go (starting the night before) is the way to go.. but remember not to charge LiPo's indoors!!!