Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

First giant scale.

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

First giant scale.

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2008, 12:26 PM
shleprock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First giant scale.

I'm looking to get a 35cc to 45cc size plane. I want to get the plane then get the engine, electronics when funds and skills allow. Is there a good thread or article on what equipment needs to go into a gasser in that size range?? What is the more stable of the aerobats? I don't really need a yak, edge, or extra but if you know of one that is not a large leap from 4-stars and the like, please let me know. This is likely to take a year or more to complete all required steps. Any tips or thoughts would be appreciated.
Old 12-14-2008, 12:53 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: First giant scale.

My first thought is always the Dynaflite Decathlon or a Giant Big Stick but the Giant Super Sportster is another great one as a first gasser. I have one friend that started out with the Super Sportster and it turned out to be his number one flying machine. Looks great and it will fly close to the 4* type of plane. If it just didn't have such ugly landing gear!!
Old 12-14-2008, 01:23 PM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seen a lot of guys save a lot of money using weedeater engine,, I'd read up on those threads if it were me....Rog
Old 12-14-2008, 01:51 PM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you aren't looking at an all-out aerobat like an Edge-540 then I second the Super Sportster. Both the .40 and .60 size fly great (own or have owned both), more agile than a 4* but not on par with a Yak. The giant scale version should be great too. That's just and educated guess of course, I have never personally flown the big one.

Another option might be a 4-Star 1.20 with a small gas engine.

There are some nice big Cubs in kit and ARF form too.

Graybeard... have you had a chance to fly your friends Sportster? I like the smaller ones a lot and I've always thought about getting the big one.
Old 12-14-2008, 05:06 PM
shleprock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whatever I choose, it will have to be a two piece wing to fit in a 6 1/2 foot truck bed.
Old 12-14-2008, 05:40 PM
jrcaster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You may want to ask again in the Giant Scale forum. I have the discontinued GP Giant extra 330L 33% kit stashed under my bed waiting for my skills to develope to that level.

I also have the .60 sized version so I can get used to how the Extra flies so I don't take a $3000 dollar model to the field and get surprised as to how it handles.

As to the extra equipment that goes into a gasoline airplane some include

Metalic firewall, and non metalic throttle linkage. (used to limit radio interference.)
Kill switch, (some use both radio and manual switches.)
High Torque and Multiple servo's.
Redundant battery packs. (servo's suck up a lot of power.)
Voltage regulators. (some use LiPo Battery packs for the weight savings.)
2.4Ghz radio setup. (they say 2.4Ghz is not affected by ignition noise.)
Some of your high end fliers use redundant receivers too.
6Volt battery packs. (Higher servo power, and with the computer receivers, less likely to reboot in the middle of a high G manuever.
Don't forget to add oil to the Gasoline.
Good Kevlar or Heavy Leather Glove.

Almost forgot, a trailer to haul the plane around.
Old 12-14-2008, 07:50 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi Chuck, no I haven't got to fly his big one, he is in NY and not flying anything right now without skis. He says it flys just like the 60 size though. When I was still in CA. I had both the 40 and 60 and used to use it as A second plane for students until I discovered the 4* was an easier plane to build and fly, build anyway. The only negative is the wire LG, it works OK but it's just so ugly!! Caster, you still sleeping on that kit?? Been over A year sense you got it. You understand what a termite can do to balsa.
Fact, you don't need big high powered servos on something like the giant SS, it's not A huge 3-D plane. Just get the best servos you can afford because they will be with you for years. Hitec 625 635 645 would work fine in this plane if you want analog. The 5475s are A pretty good digital servo for the price too. Bigger servos could be better but don't go too nuts on them unless you are looking for future use. Gas engines don't all need to be high dollar or cheap Chineese come over the pond engine, take A look at the Zenoahs, very user friendly, you don't need A DA to be happy. It would be nice but not needed.