Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

RCGuys Decathlon?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

RCGuys Decathlon?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 03:28 AM
NorfolkSouthern

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RCGuys Decathlon?

I am a little curious here, as to what would be a good first large-scale plane for someone who had experience with .40 sized short-coupled high-wing taildraggers. The idea that I'm getting at, is that big gassers tend to be expensive, so the logical choice would be towards something that the pilot is already familiar and comfortable with, only in a larger size. What would be some of the pros and cons of such a decision?

NorfolkSouthern
Old 12-15-2008, 07:57 AM
Zippi
My Feedback: (10)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: RCGuys Decathlon?

NorfolkSouthern,

The RC Guys Decathlon is going to require a 40cc are bigger engine. If your wanting to get a plane of that size but keep the cost down you may want to look at a Sig Rascal 110. I have one running a Zenoah G26 gas engine spinning an 18X6 prop and it has a lot of power. The cost of putting a Rascal 110 together compared to the RCGuys Decathlon will be a lot easier on the wallet and not such a big jump going to a big cc gasser.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ur52063.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	110.9 KB
ID:	1089999   Click image for larger version

Name:	To45048.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	124.9 KB
ID:	1090000   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ej12576.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	110.1 KB
ID:	1090001   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wp40644.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	113.2 KB
ID:	1090002  
Old 12-15-2008, 07:58 AM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It's not a bad idea at all. In fact, I've seen that RC Guy's Decathlon at Toledo and wouldn't mind having one myself!
Old 12-15-2008, 11:41 AM
NorfolkSouthern

Part of the reason for my post, is that I know a guy who has one used, and he said that he's willing to sell it for just slightly over the cost of the engine alone. Last I remember, the plane had very few flights and looks immaculate. You did a nice job on the Rascal, Zippi.

NorfolkSouthern
Old 12-15-2008, 12:06 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I know nothing about the RC Guys Decath but I got a 90 inch Decath in a trade that was powered with a Super Tigre 2300 and the plane flew even better then the trainer. I gave it to one of my students and he flew it for a while and liked it for a lot of reasons, big reason, he could see it. He is flying other planes now so it has gone to one of my other students for that main reason. Another big plus is these guys are learning to do stunts and the Decath is a pretty good stunt plane, it just does things slower then most. It's a pretty good idea to get one, it's a pretty big plane to be hauling though, that's the only draw back I have seen. Well, that and the ST 2300 is a fuel hog, gas would be better!! The price of glow fuel is the main reason they have it instead of me, I really liked the plane!!
Old 12-15-2008, 12:54 PM
Zippi
My Feedback: (10)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

NorfolkSouthern,

I thought you were looking at buying a plane. If your getting a good deal on a use Decathlon then buy all means get it. I was looking at the cost of new since you were concerned about the cost.
Old 12-15-2008, 02:40 PM
NorfolkSouthern

I'm hoping he'll hang on until some time this Spring, but I'm not betting on it. My income is very limited, and that would kill most most of my chances of getting into the larger scale. I would still like to, because it would give me the chance of participating in one of the large scale events in my area. The free food and fellowship is a little hard to beat. Perhaps the owner may have some benevolence, and be willing to wait it out some. Of course, I would need to find a place to put the back seat of my old Plymouth "grocery getter" and then get rid of an old couch so I can find a place for this beast!

One thing I especially like about these planes, is that they look very nice in the air without having to do a lot of hotdog maneuvers. They are slower and more forgiving than comparable warbirds, bipes, and sport planes in that size category and their simplicity helps keep the cost of repairs down. All I can do now, is hope for the best!

NorfolkSouthern