Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

anyone use this reciever (futaba 4ch 2.4)

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

anyone use this reciever (futaba 4ch 2.4)

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 06:57 PM
jimmyjames213
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anyone use this reciever (futaba 4ch 2.4)

well i wasnt going to go into 2.4 untill i found this
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXWHX6&P=0
my problem with 2.4 is the price, but tower has the 7c futaba 2.4 on sale and this reciever only cost $50
my question is whats its range? i know it says indoor so im guessing not much
could i just make the antenna longer (prob not but thought id ask)

thanks
Old 12-16-2008, 07:31 PM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: anyone use this reciever (futaba 4ch 2.4)

You need more info on that rx, it may take the tiny 3 prong white plugs on the servos and y-harness's...in which case its only good for limited use, and I'm guessing about a 500 foot range...Rog
Old 12-16-2008, 07:42 PM
jimmyjames213

ya i was worried about that but it takes reg ones.

also what are the advantages of 2.4 over pcm (besides no channel to worry about, less interference)
the futaba pcm recievers have 1024 resolution and cost more then the 2.4 (when including the crystal,)
but i could also use a $35 4ch fm reciever with my cheap foamies and gassers when need be if i went with pcm.
the reason for my origional question is i dont want to put a $100, 2.4, 7 ch in a fomie or a gasser if i dont need 7 channels so could i just use the $50 one?
i dont mind paying $15 more for a significantly better reciever, but im not going to pay $65 more for the 7ch. (comparied to the $35 fm one)
Old 12-16-2008, 07:46 PM
bruce88123

It's not available yet but soon so nobody except a rare few have flown it.

There are comments from BAX in the radio and Futaba forums. Not a full range RX but not limited to indoor or Park Flyers either.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_8225305/tm.htm
Old 12-16-2008, 08:02 PM
jimmyjames213

well if its the 600-1000 feet range he says then im good
i am planning on useing it in my foamies if it works well ill try it on my nitro trainer, if it still works fine then more planes.
i think ill go 2.4 cause why not
Old 12-16-2008, 09:28 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

ORIGINAL: jimmyjames213

well if its the 600-1000 feet range he says then im good
i am planning on useing it in my foamies if it works well ill try it on my nitro trainer, if it still works fine then more planes.
i think ill go 2.4 cause why not
If the receiver is rated for indoor/park fliers please don't put it into a nitro trainer. Yes, it "might" work. But more likely is that it's going to fly out of range and you're going to lose the plane. If that plane hits somebody and injures them, or causes property damage in the crash, you'll find youself in a world of hurt. When your home owners find you used equipment in a way it wasn't designed for they will probably not pay any claims made. When the AMA finds out they probably won't pay. Any other insurance will have a similar reaction. Yes, this may sound like I'm being doom and gloom here, but these things do happen.

Ken
Old 12-16-2008, 09:44 PM
jimmyjames213

im going to wait till i get real specs before i try it, and i would ground range test it before i put it in the air. by that i mean walk away from it, while talk to someone on a cellphone to make sure the controls are moving, then see how far i can go before i loose signal. at the same time doing it w/ my fm transmitter to see if it is comparable.
my fm's are 800ft if its 600-1000ft then i might try it, once again waiting on specs to see the official range (if its something like 400 not a chance).

if the 2.4 is nowhere near my fm range wise. then im going to leave it in my park flyers and just bite the bullet and buy the 100 7ch rx's
Old 12-16-2008, 10:02 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

If the specs say it's for indoor/park flyer it doesn't matter what the ground range check comes up with. If you get a fly away you're going to be in the situation I pointed out above. Trust me when I say this, 1000 feet in the air ISN'T that far and nitro powered planes regularly exceed that distance. Especially when people are training and learning to fly.

These are the specs for the receiver from Hobbico's rep here on RCU. If anybody can get you the specs it's Bax because it's his job to do so!!
There is no 6116 Futaba receiver. The range of the R6004FF receiver will be about 600-1000 feet. It's an indoor/park flyer receiver with one internal and one external antenna. Due out in about two weeks or so, according to our best information.
If you go to Tower's website they do have this item on the site [link]http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXWHX6&P=ML[/link] . While they don't have the specs listed yet, they do lable this receiver as INDOOR MICRO 4-CHANNEL RECEIVER. " Futaba R6004FF 2.4GHz Air Indoor Micro 4-Channel Rx"

Ken
Old 12-17-2008, 12:08 AM
jrcaster

There are a lot of ways to get off cheap in this hobby. THIS AIN'T ONE OF THEM!

If you are goin to use any receiver in a glow engine (not gasser) aircraft, or a gasoline engine aircraft. buy the full range receivers.

That receiver would probably be fine in a foam parkflyer.

If you are that tight for money, the radio comes with one receiver. Just swap it out between planes.
Old 12-17-2008, 07:25 AM
chemie

While the above link says "indoor", TH also lists this "4 pack" which, from the picture looks to be 4 channel but makes no mentioned of being indoor.

[link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXTNB6&P=0]4-pack 4ch[/link]
Old 12-17-2008, 09:02 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

Chemie,
The receiver in the link you provided is the Futaba R604FS and not the R6004FF.

Ken
Old 12-17-2008, 09:21 AM
crossman

The R604FS is a surface receiver for cars. It is not compatible with aircraft transmitters.

http://www.2.4gigahertz.com/receivers/index.html

there is a compatibilty chart at the bottom of this page.

Old 12-17-2008, 09:32 AM
smithcreek
My Feedback: (25)

Unfortunately Futaba just doesn't make a 2.4 FASST 4 channel receiver compatible with the 7 channel transmitter. Believe me, I've looked around and I've contacted Futaba. I bought the 7 channel transmitter to build/fly warbirds and I'm just as tired as you are putting $100 7 channel recievers in my sport planes that only need 4 channels. Only thing I can say to do is drop Futaba a product suggestion. Maybe if enough people do it they will listen.

A lot of times I think people on this forum are overcautious about certain things, well beyond good safety practices, but I gotta say, putting one of those recievers designed for indoor/park flyers is just asking for trouble no matter what a range check says.
Old 12-17-2008, 09:43 AM
seahwk95

I'm with Smthcreek. I'm still relatively new to RC Flying but realized after I bought my second plane that I really have no choice but to drop the $100 for a receiver. I chalked it up to just being part of the hobby (acceptance in the 12 step program) and am hoping that Futaba will release a less expensive full range receiver. My problem was that when I was trying to assemble my second plane, the 6 CH 2.4 rx was next to impossible to be found (607 discontinued and 617 was not in stock) and i was too stubborn to drop the extra 30 or so dollars for the 8 channel at my LHS. I finally found a site that had ONE R607 (of course the R617s came in the day it arrived but oh well).
Old 12-17-2008, 09:54 AM
landeck

Following is a description of the R6004FF from Futaba's web site:

"Receivers don’t get much smaller and lighter than the new R6004FF micro receiver. Its size and weight make it perfect for almost any indoor model that requires 4 channels or fewer. In addition, R6004FF design puts standard connectors on the end of the case, which makes it easier to mount in tight areas. The R6004FF can be linked to the transmitter in seconds simply by pushing the Easy Link™ button. It’s just one of the features that help 2.4GHz FASST™ (Futaba Advanced Spread Spectrum Technology) systems provide the most secure and dependable RF link in R/C. "

The picture of the Rx shows only one antenna so it is not dual diversity Rx and is intended for indoor/short range use. I would not use it in a 40 trainer!

Bruce
Old 12-17-2008, 11:14 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: smithcreek

Unfortunately Futaba just doesn't make a 2.4 FASST 4 channel receiver compatible with the 7 channel transmitter.
This is not correct. The Futaba R6004FF receiver is a FASST 4-channel receiver that is compatible with all of the Futaba FASST transmitters, from the 6EX to the 14MZ, and with the TM-7 and TM-8 transmitter modules.

The R6004FF receiver has two receiver antennas, one internal and one external. Expect the flight range to be 600-1000 feet.
Old 12-17-2008, 11:24 AM
seahwk95

Thanks for the info Bax! Could you tell us if there is a plan for a 4 - 6 ch 2.4 receiver with full range, or if you see the cost of the receivers (R617FS in particular) eventually declining? Not complaining, just curious. As it stands, I consider it paying extra for the added insurance.
Old 12-17-2008, 11:25 AM
-pkh-

ORIGINAL: seahwk95

I'm with Smthcreek. I'm still relatively new to RC Flying but realized after I bought my second plane that I really have no choice but to drop the $100 for a receiver. I chalked it up to just being part of the hobby (acceptance in the 12 step program) and am hoping that Futaba will release a less expensive full range receiver. My problem was that when I was trying to assemble my second plane, the 6 CH 2.4 rx was next to impossible to be found (607 discontinued and 617 was not in stock) and i was too stubborn to drop the extra 30 or so dollars for the 8 channel at my LHS. I finally found a site that had ONE R607 (of course the R617s came in the day it arrived but oh well).
Should've gone with Spektrum, they've had a wide selection of receivers for their radios for quite awhile now!
Old 12-17-2008, 12:44 PM
smithcreek
My Feedback: (25)

ORIGINAL: Bax

ORIGINAL: smithcreek

Unfortunately Futaba just doesn't make a 2.4 FASST 4 channel receiver compatible with the 7 channel transmitter.
This is not correct. The Futaba R6004FF receiver is a FASST 4-channel receiver that is compatible with all of the Futaba FASST transmitters, from the 6EX to the 14MZ, and with the TM-7 and TM-8 transmitter modules.

The R6004FF receiver has two receiver antennas, one internal and one external. Expect the flight range to be 600-1000 feet.
Ok, I wasn't completely clear in my original statement. I realized that after posting but assumed the intent would be clear, so let me state it better:

Unfortunately Futaba just doesn't make a standard 2.4 FASST 4 channel receiver that will work on standard, outdoor planes flying at standard distances from the transmitter that is compatible with the 7 channel transmitter.

So, as long as we know you guys are looking at this thread, you make a standard 4 channel receiver, how about making it compatible with the 7 channel transmitter?
Old 12-17-2008, 01:09 PM
MikeL
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: -pkh-
Should've gone with Spektrum, they've had a wide selection of receivers for their radios for quite awhile now!
That's exactly why I went with Spektrum. I had to pay a hair more up front, but that gave me considerably more choices in terms of receivers. Receivers at better price points than the Futaba alternative, too. I've gotten better equipment (in that it actually meets my needs!) at a lower total cost of ownership with Spektrum.

Futaba has dropped the ball when it comes to receivers, and it's costing them business. Just what does 600-1000 feet mean, anyway? If I fly two football fields away I might not have control? Describing it as anything other than full-range or as a park-flyer is highly irresponsible in my opinion, and will only put people in danger.