Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Teaching my Fiancee to fly?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Teaching my Fiancee to fly?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 06:45 AM
Jacked69

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Teaching my Fiancee to fly?

I am going to teach my fiancee to fly my alpha 40 and was wondering if they make any landing gear that are stronger incase she slams it in the ground which I am expecting lol, and also do they make wing droops that will fit the alpha? Thanks for the help.
Old 12-17-2008, 06:59 AM
Mr67Stang

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Teaching my Fiancee to fly?

Good luck with this endevour. As far as wing droops, I'm sure you could adapt the nexstar wing droops (NACA droops) to the Alpha. Maybey find some strip aluminium main gear for your Alpha such as that found on the Four Star 60 to go on a 40 size Alpha.
Old 12-17-2008, 06:59 AM
bingo field

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You really want the gear flexible to absorb shock, and bend back to shape after a rough one. Stiffer / stronger gear transmit the shock to the fuse and wing and can cause stress cracks and larger problems. The gear on the Alpha does exactly what it needs to for training. It will give and bend, rather than take out the mounting point in the fuselage.

If you are going to train her yourself, take extra time to be nice, especially verbally, as the stress of learning to fly can "enhance" the perception of comments that weren't intended to be critical of her, but instructional. They just won't be heard that way. If you have someone else that could train her, you would be out of the line of fire at the end of each lesson. Same goes for a lot of kids.

Good luck!
Old 12-17-2008, 08:12 AM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Jacked69

I am going to teach my fiancee to fly my alpha 40 and was wondering if they make any landing gear that are stronger incase she slams it in the ground which I am expecting lol, and also do they make wing droops that will fit the alpha? Thanks for the help.
Since this is posted in the Beginner forum, I am moved to ask about your experience in training new pilots.

If you ask some experienced instructors, I believe you will find that very few would choose to instruct their own kin. I'm one of three instructors at a club, and would farm out a relative or loved one to my instructor friends. If you have experience with instruction, I don't have to explain.

Also, I don't think any of us look for special landing gear to solve hard landing problems.

Just something to think about,
Dave Olson
Old 12-17-2008, 08:45 AM
mclina

I agree. I've only been flying for two years, and my kids are learning to fly. I took them up on the buddy box a couple of times, and I feel really comfortable in being able to save the plane if they get in trouble, but I am really lousy at teaching them anything. They prefer a "real" instructor if there is one around.

I think that teaching her yourself is asking for trouble, especially when it comes to landings. When the inevitable hard landing and dinged plane happens, there could be bad feeling on both sides. I would let an experienced instructor handle that.

Now, if she is just practicing ovals, figure 8's, etc., and wants to get some stick time, and there is no instructor available, I'd go ahead and buddy-box her. At that point, you are more of a safety net than a teacher.

I'm glad that your fiancee is interested in flying with you. I hope it works out for you.

Good luck.
Old 12-17-2008, 08:49 AM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Oh ya'll quit beatin around the bush and tell the boy the truth!!...She's gonna end up better than you at it and then get bored with it and thats exactly what you want to happen.......then you can go "practice" way more often...or you say the wrong thing at the wrong time and poof its over..either way more flying time for you....if she wants to teach you quilting,,you gonna go?.....Rog
Old 12-17-2008, 08:59 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I admire the fact that you want to get her into flying, but take my sage advice here and DO NOT teach her yourself. I've seen many a boyfriend/fiancee/husband try to teach their better half and I can't say that I've ever seen it turn out nicely!!! Many times it turns out with the lady getting upset at the guy and in the long run will wind up resenting the hobby, which isn't good for you in the long run. There are many factors that go into this being a nightmare, but the main factor is that this is a predominantly male hobby. So when a lady comes into it she will usually feel intimidated. Then mix that with the guy sitting there "telling" her what to do and you turn up the heat. And then 9 times out of 10 the guy will get upset at her when she doesn't do what he said to ("I said TURN RIGHT!!!!!" type of stuff) and will wind up yelling. This is a recipe for a nightmare. If you really want to get her into it (which is a great thing) please find an instructor at your field to teach her. In fact, I'm willing to be that if you approach the instructors with this they are going to tell you pretty much the same thing I have. If they've been an instructor for a good amount of time they've more than likely seen this first hand.

And yes, speaking from first hand experience from trying to teach my wife. Also first hand experience from watching it happen at field several times.

Ken
Old 12-17-2008, 09:09 AM
goirish

Take Ken's advice. I am speaking from personal experience. This way she will become your wife and not your ex-girlfriend.
Old 12-17-2008, 10:00 AM
Warnberg
My Feedback: (1)

If you are going to teach her yourself do it now before she becomes your wife... why you ask? Because if you try to teach her AFTER you are married when she becomes your EX, because of your teaching advice, she will take half your planes and your best radio with her.... HAHAHAHAHAHA

I tried to teach my EX wife how to ski once.... notice I said EX.....
Old 12-17-2008, 10:01 AM
TFF

Yep.
Old 12-17-2008, 10:10 AM
AstroDad

I am going to teach my fiancee to fly
haha that is one way to avoid getting married!
Old 12-17-2008, 10:20 AM
goirish

Let her see this post and maybe she will say: "Hey Baby, lets find me another instructor, because I still have my eye on that BIG Diamond"
Old 12-17-2008, 10:36 AM
HEMICUDA

I have to agree with these guys...get an instructor(not you). I made a huge mistake of trying to teach my wife how
to golf last year. [:@] I should have gotten her lessons. I think the same will apply here.

Hemicuda
Old 12-17-2008, 01:23 PM
draftman1

get the club instructor and get her a brand new plane, a plane that is nicer and more trouble free than yours. you will be set!
Old 12-17-2008, 01:32 PM
Jacked69

LMAO warnberg that was good LOL... I did not think of that and thanks for the advice because I can see that happen, she will listen to an instructor more then me of course, I just went and bought her a avistar to teach her on, I will keep my alpha 40 just for winter flying and beating around, and nice weather is for my minnow, pulse and TF p-51. Dam if we did get married and she took my top flite P51 with the golden knight 100 I would cry LOL. So thanks for the warning fellas LOL....Does anyone have a list of instructors near Mokena IL ? I know I seen a post with listings of instructors in certain areas but cant find it. Thanks again.
Old 12-18-2008, 01:54 AM
hawkpilot
My Feedback: (7)

You could buy...ehhem.... "her" a Realflite G4.5 for Christmas. I think it is the best learning tool available, alot of fun to practice 3d on without fear of tearing up a plane, or chopper. Very good to teach her mind to reverse think when the plane is coming towards you.
Old 12-18-2008, 08:24 PM
Jacked69

Thank you Hawk, I do have the G4 pack and she is starting to use that, I had to talk her into it because she thought it was just a game, LOL. But after I explained as you mentioned she has to get used to reversing everything when the plane is coming towards you is critical and to learn muscle memory will be a big help and possibly the difference between a crashed plane or a first good solo. I my self did not use an instructor, I learned everything from the sim. It is a very BIG tool in learning and is far from a game, and the planes fly so close in the sim as they do in real life its not even funny. Thanks again....
Old 12-20-2008, 05:19 PM
hawkpilot
My Feedback: (7)

Your welcome....Ahhhh the ole game thing.... I am trying to teach our boys that g4 is not a game, they are wanting to learn to fly but cant get the "lets see how bad we can crash" on the "airplane game" out of their system. So if they call it a game they are grounded (in flying terms of course) for the day.