Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Saito Vent Valves

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Saito Vent Valves

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 04:04 PM
FLAPHappy
My Feedback: (209)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Saito Vent Valves

Saito Engine vent valves

I would like your input on venting the crank vent fitting on the rear of the crank, and vent that directly into the carb via tubing.
I tried it, and seemed to work great, much more smoke since it's venting unburnt fuel back to the Carb. Is that more lubrication or am I wasting my time? Will it hurt an engine by doing this?
Old 12-18-2008, 04:24 PM
Mr67Stang

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Saito Vent Valves

I do not believe this would hurt the engine but I gues I would wonder what you hope to gain by doing so. If you have a tach available I would love to see if there is a difference in performance, Pos or Neg. If it's a performance gain, I guess I would also loke to see a picture of how you did this...
Old 12-18-2008, 05:26 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

OS has been doing something like that for a while, I question it though, seems like it's sending the nasty oil back through the engine?? If you go into the gas engine forum then into Manufacture support you can ask the Saito rep direct instead of getting replies from those of us not really in the know. Have you ever looks at what that vent line looks like after a short time of running?? Gets a bit nasty looking. I have seen some OS users cap that off and just run a line as a vent, not the other way around. Ask the saito man!!
Old 12-18-2008, 05:36 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

There is no manufacturer's support for Saito in the forums
Old 12-18-2008, 05:48 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

That is a big surprise, even YS has support there. Maybe a phone call to Horizon?? I would like to know if there is a problem doing it?? I wouldn't bother but I would still like to know.
Old 12-18-2008, 05:56 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You will have to ask Horizon about it?

Great Planes/Hobbico/Tower has a representative in sevral different areas
Old 12-18-2008, 09:05 PM
42etus
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: FLAPHappy

Saito Engine vent valves

I would like your input on venting the crank vent fitting on the rear of the crank, and vent that directly into the carb via tubing.
I tried it, and seemed to work great, much more smoke since it's venting unburnt fuel back to the Carb. Is that more lubrication or am I wasting my time? Will it hurt an engine by doing this?
I've done exactly that on my 72 and 115. It reduced the amount of oil getting all over, but didn't eliminate it. I think some of the mess is backspray coming back out of the carb. I put a velocity stack on each engine and that seemed to help also.
Paul
Old 12-18-2008, 09:29 PM
FLAPHappy
My Feedback: (209)

All I did was take short piece of fuel tubing aboit 1/2 inch, slipped that on the vent, bent a short piece of brass fuel tubing, bent it 90 degrees or whatever it takes, slipped that on the fuel tubing from the vent. I made sure the brass tube was at least 1/2inch in the throat of the carb. I have tried this on a Saito 72 and a 150, man the smoke is unbelievable. Ya don't need a smoke pump! The carb blowback it reintroduced back into the carb and reburnt with ignition. I think it provides much more lubrication by the evedince produced in the exhaust. This is my opinion only, but I think it's ok, no long term tests were made, but I am going to try it on my Saito 150 attached to a 4*120.
I can't imagine it would foul a plug when running, but I want to try it. I will give it a tach test with and without, interesting..
Old 12-18-2008, 10:26 PM
dignlivn

IMO,

It is just excess oil being expelled that was not burned off. I just
put fuel tubing on the vent and clean after each session.

Bob