Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Need new brand of snow skis

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Need new brand of snow skis

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2008, 05:40 AM
Jacked69

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need new brand of snow skis

I just bought a pair of Du Bro snow skis and those things just wont go on my alpha 40, they flex so much they touch the bottom of the fuselage, can someone send me a few different links to different snow skis? I got the Morgan mill website and may go with them, but any others out there that just replace the wheels? Also on the Morgan Mill how do those install, do they go where the wheel goes or do they actually replace the entire wire landing gear and bolt them on to the fuselage? Has anyone used Morgan Mill snow skis and if so how do they perform? I heard they are the best but if there hard to install then I would like to go with another brand. ALso if I do go with morgan mill what size should I go with for my alpha 40 in the rear and the front, should I do 12' in rear and 6' in front? I do like the idea of changing the angle of attack on those skis by using simple fuel tubing. Thanks alot fellas...
Old 12-20-2008, 07:44 AM
Rufcut

Default RE: Need new brand of snow skis

You might give these guys a look. http://www.maidenusammp.com/ I haven't tried these but they look pretty good even if they are a little pricey. This year I'm going to try my homemade floats instead of skis. If only it would quit snowing!! Happy flying!

edit spelling
Old 12-20-2008, 09:01 AM
Jacked69

Thanks for the link, they do look like a better quality ski, I ordered a set and will let you all know how I like them. Thanks for the link.
Old 12-20-2008, 09:18 AM
Villa

Hi Jacked69
I have the same DuBro skis and am waiting for the first snow fall. I would like to know some details from your installation because I believe the DuBro design will work great for me. My tail dragger main gear uses bolt on axles rather than the wire gear bent into an up-side-down "V". I assume you are using that type of bent wire gear. Is that correct? The skis must be secured to the axle so they do NOT freely rotate. A spring provided with the ski is used for that. I don't have the mounting directions any more, but surely the instructions covered your type of gear. In my installation I had to grind a flat on the axle shaft for a provided 'long screw' to bear against so the ski would not rotate. The provided spring engaged this 'long screw' and holds the ski from rotating freely. As I recall, the instructions were very clear for my type of installation. I believe I can help you if you will post a photo of the instructions and of the installation you currently are having a problem with.
Old 12-20-2008, 09:25 AM
mclina

Like Villa said, the skis should work fine. The long set screw on the outer collar should be pointing towards the front of the plane, and down about 30 degrees. With no weight on the skis, they should tilt up about 10 degrees. Once you put the spring on, you can just adjust the long screw until you get a good angle.

The Maiden Skis look beautiful, and I would get them if I did a lot of snow flying, but I've used the Dubro's for two years now and they work fine.
Old 12-20-2008, 10:29 AM
Jacked69

Villa, I tried every thing to get the skis not to flex including the way the instructions said, but after I put in the long bolt and v shaped spring it still flexes way more than 10 degrees. I will get some pics up tonight and maybe you can see what i am missing, thanks for the help.
Old 12-20-2008, 11:01 AM
beau0090_99

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jacked,
i bought the Maiden skis this year and I have to say, they will most likely be around long after I am. These things are quite durable and actually pretty light for how much ski area there is (12 oz). I'd highly recommend them.
Curtis
Old 12-20-2008, 11:22 AM
OzMo
My Feedback: (3)

try these
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us53703.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	1093110  
Old 12-20-2008, 12:07 PM
Jacked69

Beau thanks for the input, I am glad I ordered a pair for my alpha 40, how did yours install? If you have tri gear do you just take off your main gear and then put the screws and holder in the same spot? And did the front gear go on by just taking off a wheel or differently? Thank you.
Old 12-20-2008, 12:26 PM
beau0090_99

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah, just removed the wheels (Nexstar) and put them in their place. No need for collars, because of the dual setscrews in place. They increase the clearance to, I think they raised the plane about 3/4" from the original height.
Have fun and let us know how you like them,
Curtis
Old 12-21-2008, 10:56 AM
Jacked69

Thanks Beau, I will let you know when they arrive and then I will put them on and do some flying, we got 6 inches her on the ground in Chicago, but its 15 below so I will wait till its atleast 30 out LOL.
Old 12-22-2008, 12:09 AM
jib

OzMo,

KEWL - Coroplast, my favorite RC building material. I may give this a shot.

Thanks!

Jack
Old 12-22-2008, 12:28 AM
OzMo
My Feedback: (3)

I have seen a set of these in action last year and they worked quite well. Good luck!
Old 12-22-2008, 02:02 AM
Jacked69

Villa, I finally got my snow skis on and the whole reason why they did not work is because of the clamps that came with them where too small to fit over my wire gear axle, so the set screw barley went in a mm so what I will do with my maiden skis is put them on my other trainer the avistar, does maiden make skis for the alpha 60? Also would you just have to take off the wheel skirts to put them on? Or who does make skis for tail draggers with wheel skirts? Thanks fellas.
Old 12-22-2008, 02:03 AM
Jacked69

Also will the dubro skis change the balace of the plane at all? I have been meaning to ask that, I would assume not as they are lighter than the wheels but just want to make sure. Thanks again.
Old 12-22-2008, 09:02 AM
PA BEN

I put water floats on my P-51 PTS and tried them on the snow. They worked great, was able to taxi too.

Old 12-22-2008, 09:07 AM
goirish

How did you mount them Can you show pics of the bottom of the wing. Thanks
Old 12-22-2008, 09:45 AM
PA BEN

I broke the gear blocks out and I had these floats so I put ply wood on the bottom of the wing and used flat aluminum stock, aluminum arrows with inserts in both ends and fishing line for cross braces.

Old 12-22-2008, 10:25 AM
goirish

Thanks for the great pics. I am wanting something I can fly off the snow with and this might just be the ticket. Thanks and have a Merry Christmas.
Gene
Old 12-22-2008, 11:54 AM
Jacked69

PA Ben that was a very awsome idea and it actually looks like it belongs on that plane. VERY nice. I have a set of floats coming and will try them on my trainer before I put them on another, I have a top flite 60 size arf p-51 with retracts, would I be able to do something like you did on your P to mine I just wont be able to put up the landing gear. Also did it change the way it flys due to the weight? I really regret not buying the H9 P-51 PTS for my first plane rather than the alpha 40 and BTW you have a rare model now, H9 I called them and they discontinued your plane and only offer the PTS P-51 MK II. Also have you upgraded the engine on it yet as you progressed? Did you learn to fly on that plane or did you have a high wing trainer first? Thanks PA BEN.
Old 12-22-2008, 07:17 PM
PA BEN

I bought this plane for my first, but when it came to landing I kept breaking the gear, so I went to a trainer and learned to land better. I put floats on it too. Lots of fun. I up graded to a Magnum70 4 stroke. I fly with a 13x5, but with floats I went to a 13x6. It was under powered with the 13x5. I had to fly full throttle with flaps 1/2 down.

Old 12-23-2008, 06:25 AM
Jacked69

PA how does it fly now with your larger engine? Also what trainer did you learn to train on? Did you use an instructor or the sim? I taught myself on the RF sim and practiced 2 hours a day and still do with the p-51 and the ultra sport to get me ready for future planes I have to move up too. Now with the floats how much slower where loops and rolls? Did it affect landings at all? I noticed that floats tend to bounce a bit when they touch down, but that could of been the brand. What plane are you going to move up too next? Jason
Old 12-23-2008, 07:59 AM
PA BEN

The P-51 PTS has good power now, with the Ev. 46 it was slow and heavy. It will snap roll so fast now it will make your head spin. As far as Planes click on my name and look at my hanger pictures. The trainer in the picture is a Sky Raider and I flew on a sim until my P-51 PTS came in and flew with an instructor. I parked the P-51 for about 6 months before I flew it again.

Old 12-23-2008, 01:01 PM
glm

Hi all,

The first movie with me in it was the first attempt at a commercial - no laughing

A couple of movies for your viewing pleasure!
http://morganmill.com/RC/rc-site-10-7-08_012.htm

INSTALL TECH NOTES - BLGL SKIS
http://morganmill.com/RC/rc-site-10-7-08_022.htm

Cheers and Merry Christmas to All

Gary