Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Kyosho Edge 540??

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Kyosho Edge 540??

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2008, 02:24 PM
Jacked69

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kyosho Edge 540??

I have been looking for my next plane to move up after the pulse and GP Minnow, I have a few choices I really like, both are Kyosho, and both look really sharp, the Edge 540 and Kelly F1 Reno Air Racer, can anyone tell me how these birds fly and what in comparison do they fly too? Also which would be a better plane after the pulse and minnow with a Super Tigre .75 stuffed in the cowl? Anyone have any of these planes if so how do you like them? Thank you..
Old 12-21-2008, 04:07 PM
beachbrada
My Feedback: (17)

Default RE: Kyosho Edge 540??

Get this Edge 540: [link=http://aero-works.net/store/images/upload/video/46_60_edge540t.wmv]Click ME[/link]
Old 12-21-2008, 10:55 PM
jetmech05

I have been flying the Hangar 9 Edge 540 73 inch wing span for a couple of years now...fun airplane to fly...will do whatever I want it to...get the Edge
Old 12-22-2008, 01:58 AM
Jacked69

Beach the link you send did not work, it went to download something and I have a Mac so it did not work well, What brand is it? Is the Kyosho brand a good quality plane and why may I ask go with the edge rather than the reno air racer? How is the edge on landings? Does it come in hot or like a pulse nice and slow? yet can do most acrobatics you can think of and land like a trainer, well easier than one.
Old 12-22-2008, 05:20 AM
jetmech05

the Edge will allow you to do any aerobatic move you want...no it doesn't land like a trainer....but neither is a racer.....I recommeded the Edge because I enjoy mine
Old 12-22-2008, 07:52 AM
beachbrada

Jacked 69, the link was to this [link=http://www.aero-works.net/store/detail.aspx?ID=75]Edge 540[/link]. I just got one and Im about 70% done with it. I've never seen that reno air racer but if its anything like the Hangar 9 Sundowner then Im going to assume it has smaller control surfaces for the higher speed it will fly at. I was thinking about getting a Sundowner a couple months back but I wanted something a little more well rounded, and thats why I chose the Edge 540. I also looked at that Kyosho but didnt give it much consideration since I couldnt really find any reviews or info on it. Also, the Aeroworks Edge has tons of reviews and a 20+ page build thread on it so thats why I went that direction. If you can get that video to work on the website you will be impressed by what you see. The thing that I liked about it the most it that everyone says it has little to no coupling which is something I was looking for in a plane since I like doing knife edges. Ive also read this plane floats, it might not float as well as your Pulse, but if you're looking for a 3rd plane I guess you'll just have to adjust for the little extra speed on landings. Here's the link to the build thread: [link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_3517297/tm.htm]Click ME[/link]
Old 12-22-2008, 11:33 AM
Jacked69

Beach thank you for the site, I like the look of that one better than the kyosho I think. So are you glad you went with that plane? Also on landings I know will be a little hot but as you said it tends to float? So its probably going to land in between the pulse and minnow correct? Do you mind me asking what engine you put in it and what speeds can you hit in MPH? Thanks beach, think I found my next project. That is a sharp plane, going to go to their website now.
Old 12-22-2008, 11:43 AM
Jacked69

Beach I just went to the site, and wow that is impressive, I am going to go with that plane, thank you very much on the recomendation, I noticed the wings are kind of mid mounted like a racer only just a tad above what my minnow is, so I would imagine you can get some good speeds using a 61 2 stroke or .91 4 stroke, I have a sopwith camel with a golden knight .91 that I do not fly and am selling so I would take out that engine and put it in the edge to save me money, and im suprised on the price of this arf, 180$ or something, you cant beat that. Although I may save my saito .91 for another warbird in the future and just get a .61 2 strk. Again thank you all for your input. Also beach, how are the stall speeds? Can the plane fly niceley at half throttle without tending to stall or tip stall in a sharp turn like some warbirds do? Thanks again... Jason
Old 12-22-2008, 11:56 AM
beachbrada

Jacked69, my plane is still on the work bench, I haven't flown it yet but I have talked to a couple different people with this plane and they all love it. They said it floats in fairly well and isn't hard to land at all. Im putting in a Saito 125(its all I have available) which is going to be more than enough power for this plane, but if you are at sea level, a Satio 100 is plenty or even that .91 would probably be fine. Ive heard of people putting all sorts of things in this plane, everything from 91 two strokes to ys 110. But as far as 4 strokes Saito 100's and 125's seemed to be the most popular. They have it on sale right now for $169 and its normally $189, its a Christmas sale so you may want to hurry up before the price goes back up. I haven't heard anything bad about this plane and Im pretty sure you wont have any problems with tip stalls or stalls of any sort as long as you stay within a reasonable engine and dont turn the plane into a brick. Browse through that thread I showed you in my last post and you will find nothing but praise for this Edge. I am very happy I went with this Edge, I was also considering the Seagull Edge 540 which I really liked how it looks but after doing months of research and even a poll between the two, the Aeroworks Edge was my final choice. Get one you wont be disappointed.