Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Hinges????

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Hinges????

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 08:33 AM
flyfish28

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hinges????

Hi..... I'm putting together a Big Stik 60. In the box there are 16 hinges 1" X 3/4" for the alerions, elevator, etc. I was just curious if these are large enough?? Do most of you use larger hinges or are these sufficent???
Thanks
Old 12-22-2008, 09:11 AM
MajorTomski

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Hinges????

Yep, if installed properly.
Old 12-22-2008, 09:17 AM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

These should be just fine. I am assuming that they are CA hinges, but could be wrong. If they ARE CA hinges, don't be afraid to put as many as you feel you need on all of your control surfaces.

On my Skylark 70, I have five one each side of the ailerons, and three one each side of the elevator. There are four on the rudder. I don't recall how many came with the ARF, however, if I needed more, I had more and added as I saw fit.

One quick tip, again, if CA type. Follow the instructions. But, when it comes to the CA, add your 5 or 6 or so drops of CA on each side, then DO NOT go back and add more. Let it soak in and setup, do not add more. Once you add the CA, it will cure almost immediately and that will be that. Adding more will un-bond the original CA and cause the hinge to fail.

CGr.
Old 12-22-2008, 09:21 AM
flyfish28

YES! These are CA hinges! Thanks
Old 12-22-2008, 09:46 AM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

They should work just fine if they are installed correctly. Make sure they are centered and the proper amount of thin CA is installed, both top and bottom. Good Luck, Dave
Old 12-22-2008, 01:26 PM
CGRetired

When reading the instructions, it may say something like 7 or 8 drops of CA on each side.

No, that's not excessive, but make sure you do it all at once. Count the drops as they fall, using the smallest application tube that you can get for the CA container. Once you set one side, set the other side, then leave it alone.

It will work just fine. I've a few aircraft that I've had for several years now ( and yeah, they still fly after all this time.. ) that I've used CA hinges and they are still as solid as the day I put the things together. As Dave pointed out, make sure they are straight and equal amounts of hinge is in both the control surface and the trailing edge of the surface you are using.

One way to do that is to find the center of the hinge, draw a line using a fine pen or a fine tiped "sharpie" then insert the hinge in the trailing edge of the surface you are going to hinge. Insert the hinge to the line you just drew. Then take two "T" pins and insert them through the trailing edge to hold the hinge in place and square with the trailing edge of the surface. Insert one more "T" pin into the hinge right at the center of the line you drew. This will set the gap.

Now carefully line up the control surface and insert slide the control surface onto the hinges, doing them, say for aileron, from left to right or right to left, but carefully push them all the way onto the hinges (to the hinge gap pin). Again, make sure you push the control surface all the way in to the gap pin, and that the line you drew is still visible, then carefully slide out all of the centering pins.

Flex the control surface all the way down but not enough to pull it out and away from the trailing edge and be careful not to expose more hinge. Then apply your 6 or 7 drops, again, all at one time, meaning, one drop quickly followed by another followed by another until you have applied as many drops as you need to use.. then shift to the next hinge and do the same thing.

Once done, say the top, then turn it over and flex the surface so you can apply the CA on the reverse side, again, don't be to agressive so as to pull out the hinges, but flex enough to apply the CA and then stop. Let it all set and bind with the surfaces.

You should be all set. It won't come apart under normal conditions (such as normal flight). Crashes are an exception to that little rule..

CGr
Old 12-23-2008, 07:42 AM
MajorTomski

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just a little more support, I had a set of these last 9 years in a club LT40 trainer. A plane that was flown virtually every Thursday for 3-4 flights for 9 years.
Old 12-23-2008, 07:56 AM
goirish

ORIGINAL: CGRetired

You should be all set. It won't come apart under normal conditions (such as normal flight). Crashes are an exception to that little rule..

CGr
WHAT!!! You mean they won't hold up in a crash. Obviously you have not seen me fly. Crashes are part of my flight plan.[][] AH!!!! I have never had a hinge fail (knock on wood) I fly a big bingo with a mag 180 4 stroke with CA hinges. Did what you suggested, added more.
Old 12-23-2008, 09:29 AM
Rufcut

There are several guys in my club that have the GP Big Stiks 40 and 60 size (I have a 60) and everybody uses the stock CA hinges. I don't know of anyone that has had a hinge failure and there are a couple of guys that can really wring out that model. Just install them like CGRetired explained and you should be good to go.
Old 12-23-2008, 09:33 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

When I use them I also drill a small hole, just bigger then the slots in the center of the slots just to allow more CA to flow better. Not sure if it is nessessary but I do it anyway. They work pretty well for something so simple.
Old 12-23-2008, 10:28 AM
CGRetired

I believe Mike and Ken also suggest the hole in both sides (TE and control surface LE) drilled in the center of the slot. I have some hinges that have a slot cut in the center that accomplishes the same thing. But, I've also done the little hole. Hey, it gets the CA to wick in which is a good thing.

These are all great suggestions for the beginners among us, and are tried and true. As I've said, the only failure I had was when I double-applied the CA. Bad-bad!! But the replacement process was not a big deal, just took an exacto knive and cut the old hinges right off and put new ones in right next to the old ones. Worked fine and, as I said, that plane still flys, even after I beat it up several times!!

CGr
Old 12-25-2008, 07:10 AM
flyfish28

Thanks for the advice! MERRY CHRISTMAS.....