Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Saito 125 RPM's???

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Saito 125 RPM's???

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2008, 12:06 PM
beachbrada
My Feedback: (17)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Saito 125 RPM's???

So as some of you know I have been breaking in my new Saito 125 on a stand. So far I have ran 5 tanks through her with the first four sloppy rich with about 40 minutes run time. On the fifth tank I tried leaning her out to see what the peak RPM was around, and with a APC 16x4 prop, 15% cool power fuel, the peak RPM that was the most steady was 9150 RPM's. I leaned her out a bit more after that and it dropped to about 8850 so I richened her back til I got 9150 then richened her again till I was at about 8800-8850 RPM's. So far I have not touched the LSN but the transitions seem pretty good to begin with. This is my first 4 stroke so I cant really compare the transitions to another 4 stroke, but compared to my 46AX it seems good, I've heard the LSN's come set pretty rich and then Ive heard from other people its usually set right on. So I was just wondering if my engine is about where it should be for having less than a half gallon run through it, also about how many gallon(s) does it take to see true peak performance?
Old 12-24-2008, 02:43 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Saito 125 RPM's???

Don't spend a lot of time thinking about when it is fully broken, it will happen as you use the engine. I started something new {to me anyway} with the low end adjust ment. I set the engine to idle at just below the rated idel RPM with the glow driver still on the engine, if when I remove it and the engine drops in RPM then I put the glow driver back on the engine and lean the LE a touch and repete the process until there is no engine RPM drop. When I remove the driver and there is no RPM drop the LE is about just right. Then I test the engine my old way and check for any rich or lean problems. So far it has worked great. I just started doing it this way this summer and have been happy doing it this way. Remember, changing the prop is going to change your RPM.
Old 12-24-2008, 03:48 PM
beachbrada
My Feedback: (17)

Im not too worried about when it will be completely broken-in, Im just looking to learn a little more about these engines. I may try your LSN adjustment.
Old 12-24-2008, 05:46 PM
fredscz
My Feedback: (47)

You need to follow the ton of good advice and the factory manual. basicly Lean the low end till it dies then richen it up a little until the excellent transition returns. otherwise your just wasting a lot of fuel and a Saito will go thru a lot of fuel if the low end is not set correctly.
fred
Old 12-25-2008, 12:25 PM
Nathan King

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In my experience, Saito engines are factory set rich on the high end, and VERY rich on the low end. Follow the manual, and if you're getting good idling, transitioning, and reliability then fly it. I'm not a big fan of ground running more than necessary.