Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Help!! Ultimate BiPe 40 - 41.5" Nitro Gas Radio Control

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Help!! Ultimate BiPe 40 - 41.5" Nitro Gas Radio Control

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2008, 04:01 PM
OkadaKeisuke
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help!! Ultimate BiPe 40 - 41.5" Nitro Gas Radio Control

Oh boy, where do I start...

Well, My first kit, a gift, and I have zero experience with this kind of thing. My mother got me the Ultimate BiPe 40 - 41.5" Nitro Gas Radio Control, She didn't realize that additional parts were needed. Such as gas motor, Radio controller, and servo motors. Other things I believe that are needed are steel rods and specific assembly glues and what not. The instructions are terribly translated and gives very little information to a novice like myself. An example of the poor translation: "Remembers, flies the airplane model which has not assembled good perthaps has not adjusted is extremely dangerous" or "Please dose not trace in the child the place assembles this airplane" What the!?

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone would be kind enough to lead me in the right direction. What do I need exactly, to get this bird flying? Also, is there a more detailed Manual, that is legible, somewhere out there?

I appreciate any help.

A very interested novice,

Noah
Old 12-25-2008, 05:09 PM
beachbrada
My Feedback: (17)

Default RE: Help!! Ultimate BiPe 40 - 41.5" Nitro Gas Radio Control

Is it a kit or ARF? Also you said you are a novice, how many planes have you put together/flown?
Old 12-25-2008, 05:13 PM
jetmech05

who makes the kit?
Old 12-25-2008, 05:17 PM
jetmech05

You know this is not an airplane for a beginner...the best advice I can give you right now is to go to your local club ans ask lots of questions.....you'll be surprised how helpful everyone will be
Old 12-25-2008, 05:31 PM
planebuilder66
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ask santa for a trainer and all the gear to get you started.
Old 12-25-2008, 05:48 PM
Stuntpilot51

Noah,
It sounds like a Nitro models Ultimate Bipe, I would guess it's one of the five 41.5" Ultimates on this page, The terminology used in their manuals is what we call chingrish. Combination chinese and english which is not understandable.

http://www.nitroplanes.com/ulbi.html

First of all your mother is a fine woman, we need more women like her around!
Second, as stated this is not a beginner's airplane, and with no ARF assembly experience you are going to have problems with this kit. Like mentioned you can find a local club in your area and request assistance from a modeler there. If you do manage to get it built, your not going to have much luck as your first plane, it's just to much for a newbie to handle.
If you look at the top of the page, RCKen has compiled a list of trainer planes that you would have much better luck starting with if your interested in getting into the hobby. If that's the case, put this plane on the shelf and save it for down the road when you have the experience to fly it and build it.
Many of those on the list are ready to fly out of the box, much easier to deal with for someone in your position.

Your going to need several things to complete this plane including,
46 size engine
minimum 4 channel radio with servo's
various modeling tools.
Glue, epoxy, and or white glue.
Field accessories to start the plane and fuel it.
And most of all help in order to start in the hobby. I would guess another $200-$300 to finish.
It's not really hard to put together, you just need previous building experience for this one.
One other option is to invest in one of the various simulators on the market including free one's via the net, this way you can check it out and see how you like flying. It's not too difficult, just requires alot of time and patience.

I hope you decide to join our great hobby, it's alot of fun and very rewarding. good luck!
Old 12-25-2008, 07:36 PM
OkadaKeisuke

Thank you Stuntpilot51,
I Believe I will take your advice and put the plane away until down the road. A trainer plane is most likely the best bet for me. I knew instantly that this gift was far too advanced for me, as well as it being almost too much to get from my mother. You see, I and my family are not all that well off financially, and it will probably take me some time to buy everything I would need to build this kit. A am a very patient person and do not care how long it takes me. But I tell you this now, I will get this bird airborne someday, for my mother.

I have always had an interest in aviation, and ever since I was 10, I have been building model Airplanes (not R/C Planes). And just recently, at the age of 26, Balsa wood models. I have an understanding on flight principles and airplane mechanics. I really do look forward into joining this great hobby. There is a local club near home too!

Thanks again Stuntpilot51!

Old 12-25-2008, 07:46 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I've put together a list of planes that make good trainers and second planes. All of them on the list are proven planes that are well suited for successfully letting students learn to fly, or advance to a second plane. Check out the list here
[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_4537845/tm.htm] Looking for a trainer- what's available. (Updated 2-20-2008) [/link]

Hope this helps

Ken
Old 12-25-2008, 08:57 PM
MikeL
My Feedback: (3)

http://www.coxmodels.com/prodinfo.asp?number=006100

It's pretty hard to go wrong for about $42 shipped.
Old 12-25-2008, 10:49 PM
OkadaKeisuke

Thanks RCKen.

I came across this while looking around the site.
I hope to find something that will meet my budget.
Old 12-26-2008, 03:37 AM
cold_reboot
My Feedback: (20)

You picked a good time to pick up the hobby. There are definitely deals to be had. With the introduction of DSM or FASST (2.4Ghz technology) the older 72mhz radio systems prices have fallen. If you buy the parts and pieces when you can, you can avoid spending $300+ in one fell swoop and have an excellent trainer. HobbyPeople.net is advertising a 4 channel 72Mhz Airtronics system for 79.99 that includes servo's. For the Plane, the Tower Trainer 40 MKII ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) is $59.99 (you'll find a lot of people here have learned on it and really like it, TowerHobbies.com). The instructions for the Tower Trainer are excellent, multiple pages, and illustrated. It would present you with no problems and is a great cheap trainer. For an engine, being in a trainer, you don't need anything fancy with instant throttle response needed for 3D flying. The Super Tigre engines on Tower Hobbies would be perfectly capable for this plane and you can get the Super Tigre GS-40 for $59.99 (also on TowerHobbies.com). Thats if you want to go the Nitro route.

If you just want to teach yourself to fly look at the Hobbyzone Super Cub, it's an electric Ready to Fly Plane and can be had for $139 to $159 depending on where you buy it. Pull it out of the box, rubber band the wings on, screw the tail assembly on with two screws, charge the battery and go fly it. Good thing about the SuperCub is it's made out of foam, so if you have a mishap you can just glue it back together with superglue, and since it's smaller and flies more slowly, can be flown in smaller area than a Nitro Trainer.

If your interested, you can locate your local club. Most of them welcome guests and the guys there will be more than happy to answer any questions. You can also sometimes find a good used Trainer ready to go from someone there. They may also have a "Club Trainer" someone may be willing to buddy box you on to try out your thumbs. Good luck to you, one word of warning tho...once its in your blood, your ruined.
Old 12-26-2008, 04:44 PM
Skyhigh Bev

[color=#FF0099]In case no one has mentioned it, are you a member of the AMA yet? You're going to need that first, plus you can look up all the clubs in your area. I read what the other guys wrote, and yes, you definitely should get the trainer first. You will enjoy flying it far more, and the frustration level is much less. Welcome to the hobby!!!!

Bev