Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

What is your RC Net Worth?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.
View Poll Results: A poll
0-500
2.21%
500-1000
9.56%
1000-2000
18.38%
2-3k
16.91%
4-5k
7.35%
5-6k
5.15%
7-8k
6.62%
8-9k
3.68%
9-10k
5.15%
10k +
25.00%
Voters: 136. You may not vote on this poll

What is your RC Net Worth?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2008, 12:53 AM
yetti831

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is your RC Net Worth?

What is your RC net worth?

( I changed my post. This is why you see unrelated posts)
Old 12-26-2008, 01:08 AM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Default RE: Update Site To Reflect Actual Cost Of Product In Cart

What website are you referring to???

Ken
Old 12-26-2008, 01:35 AM
yetti831

Default RE: Update Site To Reflect Actual Cost Of Product In Cart

Old 12-26-2008, 06:29 AM
jetmech05

Default RE: What is your RC Net Worth?

if I had to replace everything at todays prices 7-8 k
Old 12-26-2008, 06:50 AM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: yetti831

What is your RC net worth?

( I changed my post. This is why you see unrelated posts)
You realize that our wives often look in the RCU world to see what the husbands are up to, and to check for ideas for gifts, don't you. If they see this poll, we are done! I have more than your top number tied up in just 2 planes. I don't want to know how much I have in the hobby. It would scare me to death.

Bill, AMA 4720
Old 12-26-2008, 08:32 AM
RCVFR
My Feedback: (7)

Lets see,I have a few planes, a bunch of engines, 3 radios, a garage full of power tools, some hand tools. Sooo, all together I figure, maybe $300- $4oo.

That's my story, and I'm stickin to it!

(And of course, I have a mini van to haul stuff around!)
Old 12-26-2008, 08:48 AM
inline300

Equivalent of a rolled up newspaper and a couple pieces of lint.
Old 12-26-2008, 10:19 AM
daveopam

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

The problem is. What I spent on all this stuff and what it is worth in the retail market is miles apart.

David
Old 12-26-2008, 10:40 AM
crossman

I learned many years ago that the quickest way out of a hobby was to add up the money spent. And that was on a MUCH cheaper hobby than this one.

Just throw away the receipts and keep flying!!

Old 12-26-2008, 10:41 AM
brett65
My Feedback: (18)

ORIGINAL: daveopam

The problem is. What I spent on all this stuff and what it is worth in the retail market is miles apart.

David
Sounds like a man who knows how to make deals!
Old 12-26-2008, 10:57 AM
Alex7403

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what me?

its less then $100 an airplane, i'm building from kit sticks, thats cheaper i'm not buying those ARFs,

oh those tools? man should have tools and we need them anyway.

or, do you want to pay $180 to the locksmith again?

Old 12-26-2008, 12:05 PM
DelRay

[X(] Oh dear, what a question, and scary to say the least. What one will pay for thrills and enjoyment? I'll have to say that the money I've invested in my planes and equipment has gone to a good use, the pleasure and enjoyment I've received from the investment far outweighs the the ammount. It adds up fast, but it's worth every cent spent. Now, my wife's story might differ jus' a little, but the dollar amount will be right to the last penny, she knows!
Old 12-26-2008, 12:29 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

While some may joke around about this figure, it's actually something that everybody who's in the hobby any more than just a passing participation. Why?? One word, insurance. Almost everybody in this hobby winds up having more tools, materials, and equipment than they think that they do. And if you ever have to replace it in the event of a total loss, or partial loss due to theft, most people will wind up cheating themselves because this simply don't remember everything they have. Another factor is that many insurance policies will limit the amount of coverage for tools or recreational equipment unless the policy is changed to cover those total losses. The only way to know if you are fully covered is to first add up EVERYTHING you have in this hobby and then visit with your insurance agent. In my case I found that my original policy would only cover about half of what I had. I now have a rider on my policy that ensures that I am fully covered in the event that I need to make a claim for total loss. Also, keeping an inventory will help in determine those costs but it will also give you a list of what you own as well. When people sit down after a loss and try to remember everything that they own they will usually forget a large portion of what they actually had. A detailed inventory is the only way to know exactly. Oh yeah, don't forget to get that inventory OUT of your house. Why??? It won't do you any good if your house is completely destroyed and the list is destroyed as well!!!!

So, now that I've put everybody to sleep with a lecture how much do I have??? Trust me here, it's easily over $30,000. While there are those that will say that I'm crazy for having that figure invested in this hobby. But if you sit down and thing about it for a bit you'll realize that it's not too hard to run up huge figures pretty quickly. When you start talking about items such as radios, engine, and planes that have $500+ price tags it doesn't take too long run up a 5 figure price tag. Start throwing expensive tools and inventories of parts it gets up there even quicker.

Of course not everybody has that much invested. For a casual pilot with one or two planes it's pretty easy to stay below one or two thousand. But if you're going to get serious about the hobby like I am the value of what you have gets up there pretty quickly. But no matter if you are a casual Sunday pilot or a die hard hobbyist there is no way to know exactly what you have invested unless you put pencil to paper and actually add up what you have.

Ok, off my soap box now!!!

Ken
Old 12-26-2008, 12:36 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have a lot of STUFF, Some I bought, some I traded for, some was given to me and I never tried to factor in my tools, some/most of that was Xmas gifts over the years and lasts forever. I am trying to get the plane number down right now because of the room factor in my new {little} shop. Truth is I'm making more room for new planes but I don't say that in front of the wife!! You guys should have seen the nice Corsair I gave to a little boy yesterday for a wall hanger, Really nice!!! All little boys need a plane hanging off the wall or over there bed, I'm sure it's a rule etched in stone someplace!!
Old 12-26-2008, 01:30 PM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's the deal... it may APPEAR that I have $15,000-$20,000 worth of stuff stashed away in the garage and other places. As far as my wife knows however, most of that was either traded for, picked up dirt cheap from someone leaving the hobby or belongs to someone else and is just here while I work on it or store it for them. That is my official story.

I kid around of course. She doesn't know the exact figure but she wouldn't mind either. My hobby budget is mine to what I please.

Let's put it this way... my Tower Hobbies invoices that I have filed away total almost $15,000. That doesn't include the local hobby shop, Horizon Hobby, Sig, swap meet & show stuff and other various vendors.

People think I'm nuts but those same people have a $25,000 boat beside their house, a huge RV or a garage full of ATV's. It's just about what you're into.
Old 12-26-2008, 02:05 PM
planebuilder66
My Feedback: (8)

Yeah it's about 9-10 thousand, but if you add all the stuff I sold off or destroyed over the last decade and a half, it would be well over 20 thousand. I think I should invest that cash into a house and not soo much into toys.
Old 12-26-2008, 03:38 PM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

10 grand is a walk in the park for me. Just look at the prices of radio's and the larger engines now a days. I am looking at getting a gas engine with a mount, muffler and other related support equipment, $600.00. I am going to put it on a kit that I got for $150.00. This kit is going to need covering and paint. 6 rolls of covering 102.00, 3 cans of paint and clear coat, $76.00. We might need a cockpit kit $25.00. With this being a big plane we are going to need 5 high torque servos, which is going to also require a larger battery, $200.00. Now lets add in all the other stuff we need, wheels, push rods, glue, screws, heavy duty control horns and push rod ends heavy duty hinges and the list just keeps going on and on. Put a radio in in this plane and as she leaves the ground for the first time, easy $2000.00. No wonder my wife fusses on me so much. When you look at it in this manner, she may be right. The other way is so much easier, Honey, the hobby shop had a sale going on. What a deal I got. I love you dear,,,,,,,,,,,,, Good Luck, Dave
Old 12-26-2008, 04:32 PM
yetti831

What sort of baffles me is, when you're spending over 10k in this hobby, why don't people look into building/buying light aircraft? Sure, some people may enjoy the challenge of flying models more, but as for me, I'd rather be in the air with the stick in my hand.
Old 12-26-2008, 04:58 PM
RCVFR
My Feedback: (7)

What sort of baffles me is, when you're spending over 10k in this hobby, why don't people look into building/buying light aircraft? Sure, some people may enjoy the challenge of flying models more, but as for me, I'd rather be in the air with the stick in my hand.
There you have it, that is what you should do. Follow your heart! Others will follow theirs. It all works out that way! My budget allows far more flying from the ground than from the seat! So, that's what I do.
Old 12-26-2008, 05:03 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

If that is where your love is then by all means follow it. I thougth that is what I wanted to do as well. I started training and I realized that I liked watching planes fly more then I liked being inside of them flying. And since it's hard to see the plane you are piloting I choose not to do it and fly RC instead.

Ken
Old 12-26-2008, 05:04 PM
yetti831

Yes. I didn't mean to be disrespectful in any way. There will always be something awesome about flying a plane you've spent months building from scratch. And, of course, they are beautiful to watch in the sky, something you can't do if you're actually piloting the plane. Not to mention, you can always build those planes that you've always admired. I'm guessing most of us will never be flying a vintage P51 or an F-22, but we can sure as hell build and fly them.
Old 12-26-2008, 05:15 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin

Yetti,
Oh no, I didn't think you were being disrespectful at all. I was simply explaining why I stay in and fly RC.

Ken
Old 12-26-2008, 05:29 PM
carrellh

Afraid of heights, afraid of crashing, never really cared anything about being a pilot.

I have been fascinated by RC models since the early 1970s and finally got into the hobby in the late 1990s.
Old 12-26-2008, 05:32 PM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: RCKen

If that is where your love is then by all means follow it. I thougth that is what I wanted to do as well. I started training and I realized that I liked watching planes fly more then I liked being inside of them flying. And since it's hard to see the plane you are piloting I choose not to do it and fly RC instead.

Ken
I've seen a few do this..me, my best bud has a super cub, we went flying and I didnt much care for it, saw my house,car and motorcycle, my dads house, my buds house and pound, saw the greenist swimming pool in all the land! but when I crash, I get to say Dammit! and go pick it up...last time was 30 feet into a swamp about 6 inches of water and 6 more inches of mud,,had the most spectalcular crash of the day and went home with dirty feet, real pilots dont get to do that...I have roughly 30 planes, more engines than that and 6 radio's...waaaay to much stuff,,wish I would have never bought the 2.4 radio........Rog
Old 12-26-2008, 06:54 PM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

As Ken stated, RC is what ever it is to the person that is doing it. I love real planes and given the chance I am at every air show I can get to, but that is where it stops. I have no desire to fly in them, but taking a million pictures and trying to duplicate them into a flying model is my personal challenge. I also us RC as my stress reduction method. I can go unwind in my garage and visiting with all my flying buddies at the field is worth every trip that I make to the flying field. I have amassed my RC collection over a 30 year span and I am always ready to help anyone that wants to become involved. The amount of dollars that you have in RC means nothing if the hobby is what you want to enjoy, as that is really all that matters. Good Luck, Dave

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.