Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Looking for TX / engine for my trainer

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Looking for TX / engine for my trainer

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2008, 12:15 PM
saleen308

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for TX / engine for my trainer

I received a Hobbistar 60 MK III ARF for Christmas. I need to buy a RX/ TX / SERVOS / ENGINE for it. I am looking for some recommendations. I do have a Hanger 9 P-51 PTS already. I'm debating if I should buy a 2.4ghz system from Spektrum/ Futaba for the Hobbistar and switch my P-51 to it as well. I'd like to add retracts to my P-51 some day so, I want to make sure I have enough channels for it.
Old 12-26-2008, 01:23 PM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Looking for TX / engine for my trainer

The least expensive thing to do would be to get another receiver and use the transmitter from your PTS. There would be nothing at all wrong with doing this. If you really enjoy the hobby though, plan on staying in it and don't mind spending the money, something like a Spektrum DX-7 will work well for years to come.

For an engine, something like an OS .65-LA is an inexpensive, reliable option that will work well. The .61-FX is another good choice. 7ou could also invest in something like a .75-AX. It is WAY more than the plane needs but could be useful for something down the road.

I'd just use plane old, inexpensive standard servos such as Futab S-3004, JR ST-47BB, Hitec HS-325, etc.
Old 12-26-2008, 01:57 PM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

The Thunder Tiger GP-61 would be a great, inexpensive choice for the Hobbistar .60 ARF. I'm flying one on my Goldberg Protege .60 ARF, and it's been a wonderful engine. It's easy to tune, very reliable, and has plenty of power. The TT GP-61 is available from http://www.thundertiger4u.com for $85.99.

I think the Super Tigre G-61 ringed engine available from Tower Hobbies for $99.99 before discounts or the Magnum XLS .61A available from Hobby People for $99.99 would also be a great, economical choice.

As for radios, you might check out the sale at http://www.hobbypeople.net. You can buy an Airtronics VG400 72Mhz 4-channel radio package with transmitter, tx and rx batteries w/ charger, receiver, power switch and charge jack, and four 94102 standard servos all for $79.99. That's about the same cost you'd pay just for a receiver and crystal. Airtronics receivers are positive shift like the JR radio system that came with your Mustang PTS, so you could use the receivers and transmitters interchangably if you order the same frequency that you already have.

Hobby People has the VG6000 computer radio available for $109.99 with a full flight pack. That might make a good backup transmitter to your JR Sport SX600 system if you'd rather get another transmitter with a few more features.

Good luck and good shopping!
Old 12-26-2008, 03:03 PM
MikeL
My Feedback: (3)

If your PTS has a radio, use it. Pull the receiver out and put it in your trainer. This'll help to keep you from starting down a nasty little path of feeling locked-in to one radio system or another. It gives you some time to start learning how to fly, while at the same time learning more about both radios and where you see yourself going in the hobby. You'll find out about your local conditions - - is 2.4ghz necessary or recommended? Are there certain 72mhz channels to avoid?

I think that the last thing you want to do is to saddle yourself with a collection of radio gear that doesn't really meet your needs. If your PTS came with a full setup, use it. You'll learn so much in your first month or two of flying. That will give you a much better perspective from which to make radio choices.
Old 12-26-2008, 08:05 PM
bigedmustafa
My Feedback: (2)

His H9 P-51 PTS has a radio, it came with the JR Sport SX600 6-channel computer radio. My point suggesting the VG400 was simply that he could get 4 servos and a JR-compatible Airtronics receiver along with a switch and receiver battery all for $79.99. If he doesn't want to fly the VG400 transmitter, he can throw it in the trash and still save himself about $35 over buying a receiver, crystal, and servos seperately for his SX600.
Old 12-26-2008, 11:16 PM
jrcaster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The cheapest route would be to pull the receiver and servo's out of the PTS and install them into the trainer, then just get a decent engine. If that was the Hobbistar 40 instead of the Hobbistar 60 you could transfer the engine also. This hobby is expensive enough as it is.
Old 12-26-2008, 11:30 PM
OzMo
My Feedback: (3)

I would NOT recomend the Magnum xls. The rest is good advice. If you do buy another radio it would give you a buddy box of your own as well as the internal parts for your bird.
OzMo
Old 12-29-2008, 04:27 PM
Clay Walters

I built the same plane this past spring. I used a magnum XL 91 4-stroke and as a result had to reroute my throttle cable. If you use an OS 65 2-stroke its pretty well a drop-in and go. The supplied engine mount is very nice. I later put a SuperTigre G-75 2-stroke in it and gave it to my son-in-law. Both worked just great.

If you already have a 6 channel radio you should be good to go. You can order a Hitec receiver from Tower Hobbies for approximately $40 that should work perfectly with your JRSport radio. You will have to order a crystal that goes with the receiver in the same channel as your radio is now.

Hobby People has a nice price on Airtronics 94322Z servos right now that should go great in the Hobbistar and they may have a sale on the Magnum engines worth looking into.

You'll enjoy your new plane,

Clay
Old 12-29-2008, 05:57 PM
spadeng

Like was said earlier, what I would do is use the tame TX with both planes, I like a 8 channel Hitec Rx. they are shift reversable and good recievers, I have a Super Tiger .61 on my Telemaster and once it is broken in it runs like a champ. When you decide to get a new radio get the most radio you can afford the more capable the longer you will use it.