Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

setting up for electic

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

setting up for electic

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2008, 05:39 PM
madmanmikie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default setting up for electic

I've recieved a Hobbico 40 trainer for Xmas. Is it possible to set it up with a electric brushless motor instead of a .46 o.s.? An if it is possible, what would be a the best size motor and type. And what type and size batteries would i need for the electric motor. thanx
Old 12-26-2008, 06:05 PM
Bozarth
My Feedback: (15)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: setting up for electic

I replaced my .46 with an Eflite 46, 70 amp speed control w/BEC, and 4 cell lipos (3700 to 4200 mAh). An APC 13x10 pulls 48 amps. I have this set-up on a basic ugly stick and can do touch and go's for 25 minutes.

Kurt Bozarth
Old 12-26-2008, 06:23 PM
opjose

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: setting up for electic

Yes you can do as you wish and replace the glow with the electric setup.

If I may ask, why do you want to do this?

It will be considerably more expensive than your glow setup, as you are just getting into planes.

You'll need to invest in several things ( Like battery packs, watt meters, LiPo chargers ) which will load up your initial expenses.

As it stands right now, a chicken stick, a hand held fuel pump and an ignitor are a relatively small expense, compared with the cost of a couple of sets of batteries alone.

If you can avoid the switch keep the plane as is, then start gathering what you will need for your next electric plane.