Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

What a Gtreat Day!!

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

What a Gtreat Day!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 07:33 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default What a Gtreat Day!!

Just before the holiday I tried to fire up my new gasser, A Zenoah G-62 I picked up in a trade. I couldn't get the prop to flip fast enough to get any spark to the plug so I got myself a spring starter for it. Today was the first really good day I have seen in a long while so I decided to give it another try with the spring system. Choked it and gave it a flip, Pop Pop, opened the choke and it lit right up on the first try. I was wondering about this engine because it was used and I had no real history on it. Runs better then some of them I have bought new!! Then the neighbor brought over some Xmas presents for us! How cool is that? Then UPS showed up with more Xmas presents!! Outstanding!! Then the other neighbor brought over more Xmas presents!! This day just kept getting better and better. Can't wait for the wife to get home so we can open gifts!! Kinda makes me wonder what tomorrow will bring?? I even have dried glue on my fingers and can't get the ball on my mouse to work, my scratch build is starting to look like something now, tail feathers are about finished and the wing will be started on tomorrow. Great day!!!![8D]
Old 12-29-2008, 07:37 PM
bingo field

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: What a Gtreat Day!!

If you really want a great day, get yourself an Optical mouse. No more ball, runs on almost any surface without a hitch. Glad you're having a great time. It's good when it comes together, eh?
Old 12-29-2008, 07:40 PM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Glad to hear that you had such a wonderful day. Mine stunk, had to work... And just what is it we are scratch building? Good Luck, Dave
Old 12-29-2008, 07:48 PM
Gray Beard

Hi Dave, when it started snowing here in Vegas I went digging into my plans and found a set for the little Daddy Rabbit pattern plane. It won class three in 1966 at the nats. I'm just using up as much of my old left over wood as I can and I was talked into keeping it as stock as I can so it looks old school. Really is a fun build. A lot of little mistakes in the plans but you can spot them before you cut or glue.
Old 12-29-2008, 11:31 PM
aldentwc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it's time to wake up
Old 12-30-2008, 01:10 AM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

Yeah great day for your maybe. Mine was yesterday, when I glued a bunch of nylon hinges and they came out great. Today, I figured I had an hour to kill, so I started on my canopy. Stupid mistake led to some crushed balsa and ply - time to leave it alone. Well I come back a couple hours later and figure I'd redeem myself. Balsa and ply are fixed (and looks pretty darn good, thank you very much), canopy mounted, and I flip the plane back right side up only to find a nice rip in the covering[:@]

Didn't someone say something about taking time and working on planes when the mood is right? I thought I heard that somewhere...

I would like to take this opportunity to do a plug...microballoons!!! I LOVE microballoons! Yesterday I filled some gaps in front of the stab and today I covered over some repairs and have nice smooth white surfaces

Truthfully this is the reason I got the $200 plane and not the $400 plane. Not ready for that one yet.
Old 12-30-2008, 03:31 AM
hugger-4641
My Feedback: (6)

Ok, educate me. What is a microballon?
Old 12-30-2008, 05:14 PM
Bretd123

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXHZ15&P=ML
Old 12-30-2008, 05:45 PM
Jetdesign

You add them to epoxy to fill voids. I've used saw dust before, but I just tried microballoons for the first time. Used enough so the epoxy would settle into the gaps, and it dried as a hard, white, smooth surface. It's supposedly sandable/shapable too. Like using wood putty, but harder and stronger. The 'microballoons' will expand and fill the gaps very nicely.
Old 12-30-2008, 07:02 PM
Gray Beard

Yep, good stuff, sometimes hard to find at my LHS unless I really don't need any, then they have gobs of it on the shelf. Joe, you haven't been working on your plane unless you poke a hole or break a rib or two.
Old 12-30-2008, 09:17 PM
Jetdesign

ORIGINAL: Gray Beard
... Joe, you haven't been working on your plane unless you poke a hole or break a rib or two.
Gene - you have no idea how much better that makes me feel!
Plus, now I can be proud of my nice repairs.
Old 12-30-2008, 11:22 PM
OzMo
My Feedback: (3)

Had to laugh about the on the bench repairs. I have never finished a plane in 20 plus years without at least one patch. Salvage some foam electronic packing blocks to lay the plane on while it is on the bench.

Microballoons work just dandee in poly glue and CA too. CA goes of the instant it touches the balloons though
Old 12-31-2008, 07:08 AM
hugger-4641
My Feedback: (6)

Never heard of them, figure my Lhs would have mentioned them, been going there for 3 years now. Owner is more into heli's though. Anyway thanks, I'll try them out next time I have a big repair or next kit!!!
Old 12-31-2008, 12:50 PM
Gray Beard

The stuff is good for making up things like wing fillets too, you can sand and grind it to shape. I always sand a plane on my lap before I cover or when I'm shapping something like a leading edge, I can't count the times I have broken ribs just holding onto a wing or catching it when it tries to slide off my lap. Kind of like working on a car, you really haven't worked on a car unless you have drawn blood!!