Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Engine mounting for Ultra Stick 40

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Engine mounting for Ultra Stick 40

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 01:26 PM
farr301

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine mounting for Ultra Stick 40

Hey all,

I am replacing the heavy alluminum engine mount that comes with the Ultra Stick with a lighter dave brown mount, and then i realized that the engine does not need to be mouned on its side. is it really necessary? or could i just mount it vertically?

Thanks,
Farr301
Old 12-30-2008, 01:46 PM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Engine mounting for Ultra Stick 40

If the plane is set for the CG with the heavier mount, then you will have to readjust the CG to make it right again, most likely adding the weight you removed by replacing the mount.

CGr.
Old 12-30-2008, 01:49 PM
MikeL
My Feedback: (3)

What is it that you're hoping to accomplish in changing the orientation of the engine? That information can help us get you what you need.
Old 12-30-2008, 04:26 PM
farr301

I'm not trying to accomplish anything by changing it, so i guess i can just leave it sideways. It just seemed pointless for it to be on it's side except for maybe keeping exaust off the plane? And in response to CG, I have read that this plane tends to be nose heavy and that one way to solve this is to use a lighter engine mount. the provide mount also uses clamps to hold the engine down, which doesn't appear as durable as bolting it directly to the mount.

Farr301
Old 12-30-2008, 06:12 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I've had four Ultra Stick 40's and I threw away the metal mount on all four planes because the planes came out tail (corrected I meant nose heavy) heavy.

I used the Great Planes mount. The bolt holes do not align and on two planes I redrilled the firewall and plugged the old holes and on two planes I redrilled the mount

Old 12-30-2008, 08:29 PM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

w8ye:

I'm not sure I understand that. You took off the heavier metal engine mount in favor of a lighter one because the metal one made it tail heavy?

farr301:

I understand. Those clamp type mounts work fine, although I DO prefer to "bolt" it down to the mount as you suggest. I use those lighter type mounts, and use the self-threading hex-head sheet-metal screws to hold it down. Works out great.

CGr
Old 12-30-2008, 08:32 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I said that backwards I meant nose heavy. I was thinking about having to had a 3" piece of 5/16" key stock on the elevator to balance the first one with the metal motor mount