Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Painting Questions

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Painting Questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 07:45 PM
smokeyser

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Painting Questions

Hey guys. I'm getting ready to start covering a plane with koverall and brodak butyrate dope. I've read quite a few posts here on rcu and other sites to get info on putting a good finish on a plane, and I've noticed that the drying time between coats varies by quite a bit depending on who you ask. It sounds like the timing depends a lot on temp and humidity. So my first question is: How do you know when dope is dry enough for a second coat? And how much drying time is needed before sanding?

My second question is about layering paint. I was planning to fill the weave with clear, and then go over the whole thing with white since much of the paint job will be white in the end. Will there be any problems with going over the white with blue and red? And is there anything special I should do when using one color over another, like adjusting the amount of thinner or using/avoiding retarder?

I was hoping to get the specifics from the labels on the paint cans, but no such luck. Any help/advice is greatly appreciated!

EDIT: I'll be brushing on the paint, if that makes a difference. I figured I should try the cloth/paint approach first to see if I like working with the stuff before investing in an airbrush.
Old 01-01-2009, 01:01 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: Painting Questions

As long as you stay with the one brand and type of paint you will be OK as far as bleeding and compatibility goes

I would try to fill most of the weave with clear.

The dope is pretty food about the brush marks leveling out as it dries

I feel that a small spray gun would be more viable than a air brush. Use the air brush for trim

I liked to sand between coats after about three coats with a rubbing compound job in the end. It will look like Monokote.

Try to not put on any more paint than you have to because of weight
Old 01-01-2009, 01:15 PM
smokeyser

Thanks for the tips. I was planning to use clear with a little talc for filling the weave. I hear the talc makes it fill the weave with fewer coats of paint.

Last night I couldn't resist checking out the new paint, so I painted some scrap balsa to get a feel for the drying time. It seemed to dry in less than a minute. Should I just be waiting for the paint to loose it's wet look before adding another coat? Or does it require a little extra drying time to help avoid bleeding when I get to the color coats?
Old 01-01-2009, 02:54 PM
w8ye

When I'm painting the same color, I don't wait very long. But to change colors I wait at least over night.

If you are going to sand, do it with wet-or-dry paper with water. Or it will ball up on you unless you wait a week.

To rub it out, wait at least a week.
Old 01-01-2009, 10:25 PM
smokeyser

Sounds pretty simple. Just a lot of patience involved. Now hopefully the weather will cooperate so I can open up some windows and start filling the house with dope fumes.
Old 01-01-2009, 10:34 PM
w8ye

I like the talcum powder deal. After about 3 coats of clear, start using the talcum powder to help fill the weave.

The true art of filler though is to sand all the high points down after each coat to avoid the weight of the talcum. You essentially and al the talc away except what is in the vallys.

Watch those fumes