Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

COG and best prop

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

COG and best prop

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 07:58 PM
Paulparkflyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default COG and best prop

Hi guys,

I first want to say that I am finding this forum excellent for starting out in this great hobby,

I do have a couple more beginners questions,

1) COG, should I set the COG exactly as per the instructions or can a different COG be easier for a learner to train on, eg, a bit more nose heavy?

2) Choice of prop, my plane is a Thunder Tiger ARF Cub J3 and my motor is an E-flight electric brushless outrunner 46 size,

I am wondering what would be my best prop choice, I initially want the plane to fly as slow as it can but guess throttle controls this,

I have also read something about disc drag to help make it easier to land being a floater?, I will need as much help as possible with landing

Cheers,Paul
Old 12-31-2008, 09:08 PM
KWJ48

Default RE: COG and best prop

Start your CG at the forward range as per manual. As for prop I would use a mid range prop maybe 13x8E or 10E. This also depends on your batteries. Make sure you pick up a watt meter so you can test and see how many amps you're pulling so you don't fry anything.
Old 12-31-2008, 09:13 PM
beachbrada
My Feedback: (17)

I cant comment on the prop as I havent messed with electrics, but as far as your C.G., you always want to start at the front of the CG range. For example if your range is 4"-5" then set it dead on 4". You want to make sure you set your CG with everything installed on the plane as if you are going to fly it, with the exception of fuel, you never set the CG with fuel in the tank. The farther forward the CG the less sensitive you rudder and elevator becomes. So this allows you to get a feel for your plane. As time moves on and you feel like you want a more responsive plane then you can gradually move the CG back. But take note when you're starting off you don't ever want to move the CG so far back its out of the manufacturers range. If you go to fly your plane and it takes alot of down elevator trim to fly straight and level you can assume its too nose heavy(taking into consideration your elevator is rigged correctly). On the otherhand if you take off and your plane flys almost like its dangling from a puppet masters strings and is all over the place even with small inputs then you are tail heavy.
Old 01-01-2009, 11:36 AM
vegas mossie

remember, a nose heavy plane flys terrible. a tail heavy plane flys once.....