Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Which plane would an instructor fear the most?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Which plane would an instructor fear the most?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 10:51 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Which plane would an instructor fear the most?

The only real problems I have seen with the Nexstar is the way the stab is set in with the screws. Even after setting up the incidence with a meter something seems to go wrong?? I don't like the plane enough to bother with trying to figure it out but every one of them seems to fly differently. After they are set up to fly correctly they seem to be OK but the first few flights are usually a thrill for the instructor. I like the good old tower trainers for a lot less money. I will kill the spelling on this but, if you like the small planes NORVELL makes some great little engines for RC and have a throttle. Work great in the little HOB planes. My first RC plane was the HOB Cub with a Tee Dee .049 and I made a 2oz tank from a little shampo bottle. The 1/2A planes are a hoot to fly and teach elevator and rudder very well. I love flying them under power then having a glider to play with, that also teaches you how to fly dead stick. I have a couple of very old, small kits in the shop for 1/2 A I would like to build as three channel to use as trainers but I don't have any engines for them. Smallest engines I have on hand now are .25s and they are too much over kill.
Old 01-08-2009, 11:11 AM
j.duncker
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anything small, over weight, underpowered, tapered wing with no washout and with the CG at the rearward limit.

These are often scale or semi scale models that fill the eye in the shop and are a challenge to keep airborne. There were a number of kits and plans for 25 sixe models in the UK that met these criteria and the test pilots in our club would go and hide when someone arrived with one of these. Nowadays they are getting rarer but still turn up at swap meets. I know I bought a Spiteful with retracts [ because it was cheap ] and boy was it a handfull even with a good engine on song. It would flick roll on take off and everytime I pulled any real G. I lost it when it spun in.
Old 01-08-2009, 11:42 AM
LuftwaffeOberst
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When a student comes to the field with a warbird and thinks he's ready to fly it.
Old 01-10-2009, 02:31 PM
pminnick
My Feedback: (6)

Anyone remember the Tequila Sunrise ARF by Global?

There's a nasty little plane
Old 01-10-2009, 05:46 PM
skyraider71

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a friend named Joe who wanted to get into the hobby. After telling him to buy a
traditional arf trainer, he bought a H9 Raptor off of flea-bay. I told Joe that I would
teach him to fly it. I've never been an instructor, so it would be learning experience
for both of us. After a thorough pre-flight, I took it up for a test hop. I must say that
the Raptor was probably the worst plane I've ever flown. I wisely turned Joe over to
our club's regular instructor, he hated the plane too, and Joe struggled to learn.
When Joe got himself a Hobbico Superstar he improved right away, and is now flying
a Kadet Senior and loving it, his Raptor is now gathering dust.
The H9 Raptor is definately an instructors' and rookie pilots' nightmare.
Old 01-10-2009, 07:34 PM
NorfolkSouthern

ORIGINAL: pminnick

Anyone remember the Tequila Sunrise ARF by Global?

There's a nasty little plane
Now we're getting some place. Please, DO tell!

NorfolkSouthern
Old 01-12-2009, 03:37 PM
jarroldharrell

ORIGINAL: Spacemonkey71

The most suprising I've ever seen is the Cub - the fuselage of these planes have a very large cross section that in wind more than 3-5mph will make it crab ALOT. I didn't really think about this one being hard to fly until I started paying attention to a guy one afternoon and, even though the wind wasn't "bad", you could visually observe the plane being blown left and right.

Then there's the Edge 260/540/etc.. + the sukhoi and Yak acrobatic sports planes - in the hands of a novice, these plane's lifespan can be measured with an egg timer. Some people say they aren't hard to fly, but these seem to be the same people with 10 years of experience

It is very interesting that you said this. My e-flite apprentice had no control and would never do what I told it to do. It was as if the wind had a transmitter for it too, lol. It kept circling around in circles until it blew away. I never found it. I think the wind that day was 3-5 mph too. What do you think about this?

I'm reading this thread because it applies to me. A family member gave me a 33% extra 300 because he doesn't fly anymore, and I plan on taking this to the field instructor, hahahaha! Will this give him a nightmare, lol? My experience thus far has been with an apprentice until the disaster, 2 other electric trainers, and I've mastered all the planes (takeoff, flying, and landing) on my G4.5 simulator which I've spent 3 months practicing.