Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Kyosho P-40 ???

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Kyosho P-40 ???

Old 01-10-2009, 01:16 AM
Jacked69

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kyosho P-40 ???

I am going to get the kyosho 40 size p-40 and was wondering if anyone has any experience with this plane or kyosho in general? I know there RC cars are top of the line as there helis. I was going to get this plane so fly after I master my pulse 40 with the 55ax all the way and fly the p-40 before I fly my top flite p-51 so I can get a feel for warbirds. I am going to go with retracts, a 55ax, dual aileron servos, a bit larger wheels for grass landings, it has split flaps and is very reasonable in price. Any suggestions or opinions? I read the article on the kyosho spitfire 40 in the same issue as my p-51 top flite with my saito 100 and read it flys like a sport low wing trainer and lands very slow. My question is should I go with the spitfire or p-40? Also any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Also I would assume kyosho has top of the line products as there rc cars and helis. The price for the arf is reasonable 240$ with retracts installed. I love the elliptical wing on the spitfire but want a american warbird. Also what kind of speeds can I expect using a 55ax OS on the p-40? They also have split flaps. Thanks fellas. Your help is always appreciated.
Old 01-10-2009, 02:49 AM
txaggie08

Default RE: Kyosho P-40 ???

I dunno if I would call kyosho heli's or cars "top of the line" but.....

I've never seen ANYONE claim a p-51 flys like a low wing trainer, and the spitfire is worse from my understanding.
Old 01-10-2009, 02:57 AM
Jacked69

No not a p-51 I was going with the p-40. I read the review on the new RC plane mag on the spitfire and said it would be a good 2nd low wing plane to graduate to a 60 size warbird, I am just debating on using the 55ax or going with a 4 stroke only a bit smaller in size to save some money, but after my pulse I want a nice top speed so I will most likely go with the OS 55ax as in my pulse 40. My pulse hauls ass with that engine so I can use the p-40 40 size master that, go to my GP minnow with the super tigre G75 and then my TF p-51. Any other suggestions fellas?
Old 01-10-2009, 10:48 AM
KWJ48

Here's a thread. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_41...tm.htm#4196972
Old 01-10-2009, 11:11 AM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Our LHS is selling these Kyosho ARF's like postage stamps at the post office. We have several flying at our field. It's your typical "stand way off scale" ARF, they have panel lines and nice color schemes, they look good in the air and seem to fly very well. One of the guys had the "Tony" and it would really haul butt with an SX55 in it. I've seen all of them assembled, fairly lightly constructed, won't take a crash very well but will take some borderline rough landings. I like the looks of the FW-190 the best. Last year, our club held pylon races on New Year's Day, the requirement was to fly the Kyosho warbird of choice with either a .46 2-stroke or .56 4-stroke.

They are about a step down or so from H-9 ARF's , but I guess not a bad value if you aren't too concerned with absolute scale.
Old 01-10-2009, 12:09 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: Jacked69
I am going to go with retracts, a 55ax, dual aileron servos, a bit larger wheels for grass landings

Suggest you forget the idea of big wheels in fact the vast majority of warbird ARF's have to use a smaller wheel than even scale as that is just not practical if you are going to use retracts. If you use oversize wheels the ratio of wheel up landings to the number of flights goes up dramatically. Even with what would seem reasonable wheel well clearence becomes a problem with the landings most first time warbirds flyer usually experiance no matter how many airplanes they may have had.

Its for that reason I recommend for a first warbird that one uses fixed gear.

John
Old 01-10-2009, 12:35 PM
j.duncker
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really liked the Kyosho Spit that I had with retracts and a OS 46 FX it was a great performer once in the air. On our grass strip takeoff and landing was tricky as you have to hold up elevator to prevent a noseover.

Feeding in the amount of up required is a trail and error job.

If you have a grass strip you might want to go with fixed gear and rake the legs forward. Otherwise buy some spare props you will need them.