Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
 2nd plane >

2nd plane

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

2nd plane

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 02:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2nd plane

i realize many of you are probably quickly growing tired of answer second plane questions but i could not find any helpful information of this forum about this aircraft, i have recently got into this hobby ( nitro side, flew some electric before ) and i have made some pretty fast leaps in my piloting skills and have found myself searching for a second plane. I had originally come across a post saying and a extra 60 would be a good choice ( forget the make ) and when i came across GP's extra 300s Kit for a .60 size engine i decided to check it out and see if it would be a realistic choice. I would appreciate any input on this plane. Thanks
Old 01-10-2009, 02:27 AM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: 2nd plane

Extra 300 for the second plane? OK, let's talk about your third plane. The Pulse 60 might be a good choice since you will have an idle 60 or 75 laying about.
Old 01-10-2009, 02:53 AM

First, you must have some ambition to build a kit. I agree, that idle 61 or 75 sized engine should go good with the Pulse 60, as long as there's no damage to the engine and you're still able to use your servos, battery, and receiver .

NorfolkSouthern
Old 01-10-2009, 03:32 AM

haha i will take it that the extra 300s is a bad idea, thanks for the input and quick responce
Old 01-10-2009, 04:06 AM

bad idea doesn't quite cover it.

I guess the extra is the new p-51....
Old 01-10-2009, 06:59 AM

Most versions of the Edge can do reasonably well as a third plane after sufficient time on a low-wing like the Pulse. You would need to watch the Landings and takeoffs a little more, just to insure that sufficient speed and attitude are maintained to prevent tip stalls. The rudder is also important for control, which an Edge uses quite extensively for its tricks especially when set up for 3D flight. As a sport plane, they are quite smooth and predictable without too many bad habits and tend to handle more easily than a scale warbird.

NorfolkSouthern
Old 01-10-2009, 08:22 AM

get a stick, four star 40 or a tiger 2
Old 01-10-2009, 08:54 AM

Yeah,Draftman is absolutely right. The Big Sticks,4 Stars, and Tiger type planes are good choices for second planes for sure. And honestly,unlike trainers for the most part.....these planes are very fun to fly and you'll never get tired of flying them. And probably most importantly....if your gonna put that much time into building a kit,you sure as heck dont its flying charactoristics to be over your head and then crash it right away and have wasted all that work. If anything,you want something that you can easily handle so you can enjoy your work. I wont waste time building a nice kit If I'm not even sure if I can fly it.

Cool planes like extras and edges and stuff are nice,but take your time getting there and you'll enjoy them much more.
Old 01-10-2009, 01:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey, do you want to reach for the final goal at once?
No, you want to get there gradually, exploring many successful airplanes.
(poison must be consumed in small portions not all at once...) :-)

If you have the skill and talent but not much experience I’d go with the Hobbico Avistar or Sig Four Star as a second ARF and acquire stick time.

Second plane is the one getting most of the beating when you are actually learning to get out of trouble and bring it back safely.

Airplanes like GP extra and Ultra Sport are third airplanes skill wise, but more important they are built from kits and you need to have kit building experience to avoid novice mistakes while building.

RCKen composed a very good list about first and second plane: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_4537845/tm.htm
its locked on the top of this forum.
I’d go by that and no we are not tiered of answering these questions, at least I’m not.
“the only dumb questions are those who are not being asked.â€

Old 01-10-2009, 02:46 PM

Thanks for the input and i guess i failed to mention this, but i did have a 4*60 but due to a joint failure in the tail (looked over it carefully and we are fairly sure it was a manufacturing problem) it lost all of its tail feathers and went in at a pretty good speed, however my engine and all electronics survived although the plane was destroyed. Thats why i was asking about .60 sizes because i have the engine for it already, also is the Pulse 60 just a bigger version of the Pulse XT 40?
Old 01-10-2009, 08:21 PM

The Pulse 60 is essentially a larger version of the Pulse 40, so they're both the same except the larger one is easier to fly. If you have already flown a Four-Star, I think there may in fact be more choices available to you that you may want to consider. The premier choice for a third plane would be the Great Planes Ultrasport 60 kit, which has won raves among those who have flown it. It has a reputation for its ability to slow down to a crawl for consistant greased landings, yet, it can also reach extreme speeds if that's the desire. The Ultra Sport is considered by its owners to be the best flying plane ever produced, either in kit or ARF form. There is also a great deal of support for that plane on the kit forum here.

Maybe I should consider that as my next project...

NorfolkSouthern