Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

A few transmitter and receiver questions

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

A few transmitter and receiver questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 09:29 PM
jason4vu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A few transmitter and receiver questions

I am new to RC airplanes and am currently flying a Super Cubâ™*. I began training on realflight 3.5 and my first flights went beautifully! Realflight really helps. I am considering getting a computer radio like the dx6i and I have a few questions.
1. With the 6200 receiver, should range be an issue?
2. How hard is it to install the receiver into a rtf plane(pnp version??)
3. Will all receivers and transmitters combos control all types of servos?

Thanks
Old 01-10-2009, 09:37 PM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: A few transmitter and receiver questions

Well I have dozens of planes, just bought a futaba 2.4 and wish I hadnt, the rx's are too expensive...
the 6200 I dont know but you are rarely flying more than 1000 feet away and most full size rx's will go close to a mile
pull one rx out and replace, putting the same servo connectors in the same number and yes if the tx and rx are working then they will power any servos....Rog
Old 01-10-2009, 09:48 PM
ChuckW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: jason4vu
1. With the 6200 receiver, should range be an issue?
Nope. The AR6200 is a full range receiver. I have 3-4 of them that I use with my DX-7.

2. How hard is it to install the receiver into a rtf plane(pnp version??)
Piece of cake. Plug in the servos, plug in the power wire from the switch and locate & secure the receiver as the instructions recommend.

3. Will all receivers and transmitters combos control all types of servos?
Any typical 3-wire servo will work fine. that includes micros, standard, high torque, digital and so on.

I don't think the receiver will work in your Super Cub though. I could be wrong but I think it has some sort of receiver/ESC combo and odball servos. Like I said, I could be wrong. Someone else may have more information on that application.

Old 01-10-2009, 11:31 PM
jason4vu

Alright thanks. Do you think I should get the dx6i or the dx7?
Old 01-10-2009, 11:41 PM
flyinrog

Im a futaba guy myself, but usually the more channels the better ,, in futaba a 7 channel gets you the bonus of a timer, which can come it handy if you feel the need for one...I run out of fuel and deadstick in every time,(a by product of flying 1/2a) so it is of no benefit to me.. but as I said, generally the more channels the better if the money is ok with you...Rog
Old 01-10-2009, 11:58 PM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

If you have the money, gt the DX7. It will position you for more advanced and more complex planes later.
Old 01-11-2009, 11:35 AM
ChuckW

I really like the DX-7. I think it depends on how serious you are in the hobby. Truth is, at the stage it sounds like you are at, you definitely won't need the DX-7 for a while but if you stay in the hobby long enough you'll probably want something like it eventually.

The DX-7 also has a lot of features and set up options. This could be seen as complexity and only serve to confuse a beginner pilot who has enough flying basics to learn already.

What would I do? Keep it simple at first. Get a low cost 72MHz radio, 4-channel radio and use it on your first glow trainer and the plane after that. That way you can concentrate on flight fundamentals, engine tuning, airplane setup, etc. Rather than all of the radio programming menus. Then if you are serious about the hobby and want to step up to more complex airplanes, go for the DX-7 or whatever the latest and greatest at that time.
Old 01-11-2009, 01:34 PM
aeajr

ORIGINAL: ChuckW

I really like the DX-7. I think it depends on how serious you are in the hobby. Truth is, at the stage it sounds like you are at, you definitely won't need the DX-7 for a while but if you stay in the hobby long enough you'll probably want something like it eventually.

The DX-7 also has a lot of features and set up options. This could be seen as complexity and only serve to confuse a beginner pilot who has enough flying basics to learn already.

What would I do? Keep it simple at first. Get a low cost 72MHz radio, 4-channel radio and use it on your first glow trainer and the plane after that. That way you can concentrate on flight fundamentals, engine tuning, airplane setup, etc. Rather than all of the radio programming menus. Then if you are serious about the hobby and want to step up to more complex airplanes, go for the DX-7 or whatever the latest and greatest at that time.
Complexity? I never ever take this into consideration.

The DX7 is no more complex than the DX6i. As a new flyer flying simple planes you will use the same functions on a DX7 as on the DX6i. So,where is the complexity?

Servo Reverse
End point
Sub trim

Typically that is all you NEED to use on any radio.

After that, you lean the advanced functions as you need or want to use them. If you only have two advanced functions, and you need 3, you start looking for a new radio.

Always get the most capable radio you can afford. Staying in the Spektrum 2.4 GHz family, the DX6i will serve you today, the DX7 will serve you today and tomorrow. If you spring for a JR X9303, I defy you to outgrow it.

Old 01-11-2009, 02:09 PM
ChuckW

I understand what you are saying and I agree in principal but I also see a lot of beginners show up with a high end radio thinking that they need to use all those features for some reason and just create headaches for themselves. The way I see it, a basic trainer or even a simple sport plane are just fine with a basic, low-cost radio. When starting out you can concentrate on other things rather than worrying about fiddling with the radio. Then as you advance you'll appreciate the features built into the computer radio and understand what they do, how they can be used and so on.

There really is nor right or wrong way to go about it but I just don't see a reason to complicate anything more than necessary in the beginning.
Old 01-11-2009, 10:01 PM
jason4vu

I plan on sticking with electrics, so I don't know how that factors into my radio choice. I eventually would love to be able to fly the edf jets. On realflight 3.5 I can fly them well but I know it will be different out in the field. What would be a good electric plane to buy next? I definitely would like one with ailerons.Thanks
Old 01-11-2009, 10:56 PM
aeajr

There is no difference between flying electric powered planes and glow planes from the point of view of the radio.

What differs from one radio to another is the number of channels and the mix software.

Six channels is enough to fly almost any airplane, but 7 will let you do things you can't do with 6. Naturally more gives you more flexibility to fly even more complex planes.

Then there is the software. The mixes available in the DX7 will allow you to do things you can't do with the DX6i.

Today you are flying simple planes. Perhaps you will never fly anthying more complex than a 4 channel aileron plane. But if you decide to advance beyond that, you may find that you want more in a radio. If you already have that radio it makes it easier to progress.

So the difference between the DX6i and the DX7 and X9303 is where you hit the wall on capability and when it will hold you back.

Most of the time I fly gliders with 6 servos. Ailerons, flaps, R/E and sometimes we add a motor to that. So how much radio do I need?

I can fly it on a 5 channel radio. I need to control Ailerons, flaps, rudder, elevator, throttle. Put the ailerons on one channel on a Y cable. Put te flaps on one channel via a Y cable. 5 channels. Cool!

BUT

If I have a 7 or more channels with the right software I can put each aileron and each flap on its own channel. Using the software mixes I can use this capability to reshape the wing in the air, to create airbrakes to bring my glider to a halt for spot landings. I can add rudder to ailerons automatically to help create coordinated turns. I can add elevator to throttle to correct for any bad tendancies.

I can fly it with a 5 channel radio, but I have more channels with the right software that lets me do all these things and much more. With these capabilities I can extract more from the glider.

I have one plane that uses all 9 channels and could actually use 10.

Will you ever fly a plane like that? Peraps not, but it doesn't take much to benefit from 7 channels. And when the time comes, it would be nice to know you already have the right radio.
Old 01-12-2009, 06:54 AM
CGRetired

Regarding the complexity issue, well, I bought my DX7 as an "intermediate" level pilot. It was no more or no less complicated than my Airtronics systems I had before. Everything has a level of complexity to it, the more you want it to to, the more 'complex' it will be. However, everything you buy will have a 'learning curve' to understanding how to use it, and the DX7 is no different, as is the Futaba or Airtronics, JR, Hitec, whatever. They all have a learning curve and it just takes some time to read through the applicable parts of the manual and following instructions.

My vote is the DX7 over most any of the others, with the possible exception of the Airtronics RDS8000, which I found out, is on sale for $149 which is an absolutely great value for this fine radio system. Tower has them on sale for $229 which includes a second receiver, but no servos. The reason for no servos is because it will work with just about any servo on the market right now, regardless of who makes them... note I said MOST. I'm sure there are some exceptions, the Airtronics non Z servo is a perfect example, but those are older and most likely those that have them KNOW they have them. Airtronics with the blue connectors are just fine. And will also work with the DX7 as will Hitec, Futaba, JR, and so on.

CGr.