Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Ca Hinge Question

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Ca Hinge Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 05:49 PM
FLAPHappy
My Feedback: (209)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ca Hinge Question

There are a lot of very smart modelers and flyers out there, I would like to get your opinion on what size model do you quit using Ca Hinges and go over to the nylon giant scale hinges, or Robarts? In my own mind, I'm thinking around a 60-90 size plane for CA hinges, on the larger planes that require a lot of power, like Saito 125's and up or 25 to 50cc gassers. I just built a Sig 4 Star with a Saito 150 and used CA hinges, was that a mistake????. I have not flown the plane yet. I did properly use thin CA glue on both sides of the hinges, then pinned them. I really don't trust that small mylar to handle large aircraft with the torque and stress involved. Please state your thoughts on this. Thank you.
Old 01-12-2009, 05:55 PM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Ca Hinge Question

I have three 120 size aircraft, two pattern (Excelleron 90, Venus II) and one sport (Tiger 120) and all of them have OS 1.20 AX engines and all of them have CA hinges. I have no probems at all using CA on those aircraft. I am also building a larger one with an OS 1.60 engine and it too has CA hinges.

CGr
Old 01-12-2009, 06:12 PM
opjose

ORIGINAL: FLAPHappy

I really don't trust that small mylar to handle large aircraft with the torque and stress involved. Please state your thoughts on this. Thank you.
Did your CA hinges really have Mylar in them?

My Dubro CA hinges are made from one material, and do not have a plastic substrate like that.

I've found that CA hinges with plastic bases can debond over time, leaving behind the Mylar sheet stuck to the airframe as the control surface flutters away beyond sight!!
Old 01-12-2009, 06:24 PM
bruce88123

Some thoughts on hinges: http://www.airfieldmodels.com/inform...are/hinges.htm Pick the ideas you like and ignore the others (I do)
Old 01-12-2009, 06:40 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 352 Likes on 282 Posts

Most of the time they debond is from gluing them, allowing the glue to wick in, then putting more glue on.

I've got a 2 year old 46cc Yak with Radio South pro CA hinges that gets beat like a rented mule and no problems with the hinges.
Old 01-12-2009, 07:13 PM
alfredbmor

Acceptable comments at the link but very incisive on personal preferences.
I have used many types of hinges and I have found that they all work well when they are installed as instructed.
Regarding the CA hinges I have found that they are very trustful and there is no problem to use them even in larger planes like one quarter of scale or so.
The really downside of the CA hinges is that they are not as fancy as pin point robarts, but they work really well as the counterpart.
Keeping things simple, will lead to any modeler to choose CA hinges.
If you are investing some money in a particular project and want nice hinges there will be other options available, like pin points.
Old 01-12-2009, 07:16 PM
FLAPHappy
My Feedback: (209)

Bruce, I read the link you sent. It was very informative. That changed my thinking on CA Hinges. Thank you!!!!!
Old 01-12-2009, 07:40 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Paul (Airfield Models) is someone who's opinion I highly respect - But I totally disagree with him on CA Hinges.

I have planes that are over 20 years old that have CA hinges (And no unusually large gap) And they are as good as the day I put them in.

That said, I have used CA Hinges on 150 - 180 size planes including this gasser:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...article_id=734
Old 01-12-2009, 07:51 PM
bruce88123

ORIGINAL: FLAPHappy

Bruce, I read the link you sent. It was very informative. That changed my thinking on CA Hinges. Thank you!!!!!
I don't usually use CA hinges myself as I prefer Robarts but this doesn't mean that I think they are bad. I simply PREFER Robarts and tend to use what I prefer. I have used almost all types/styles at one time or another.
Old 01-12-2009, 10:46 PM
Charlie P.

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have them on a 13 lb 43cc 27% Ultimate. I've used them a lot and trust them, but I'm also very careful to form a precise slot, remove the covering for 1/16" either side of the slot, drill a "sap" hole in the center of the slot and properly soak six drops of thin CA on each side. I have NEVER had a CA hinge fail in flight. Have had the ripped out in crashes but usually it's the surrounding balsa.

I note in my fleet that I use them in ARFs but not so much kit built (preferring pinned Nylon hinges). Hmmmm.