Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
 Engine suggestion? >

Engine suggestion?

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Engine suggestion?

Old 01-12-2009, 09:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine suggestion?

can anyone suggest a good 40 size engine for my trainer for me, im
a newbie and just starting out!
Old 01-12-2009, 09:22 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Engine suggestion?

G'day mate! Just get a Thunder Tiger Pro 46, its tried and tested and it lasts as long as you don't abuse with it. Tuning her is easy as she is not all that fussy. The OS 46AX is nice too but costs a little more. On a cheaper note, the ASP46 or 52 is a good engine and here its 35% cheaper than a TT46. Used her and she is sweet.
Old 01-12-2009, 10:20 PM
My Feedback: (27)

Hobby people was and most likley is still having a sale. They have the Magnum 46 XLS on sale for 47 dollars. These are very nice engines and a real deal at that price. Don't waste time as the sale must be about over.
Old 01-12-2009, 10:28 PM
My Feedback: (8)

I am a HUGE fan of OS engines, but for $47 bucks I'd say get that Magnum. Save money and the good stuff for your next plane.
Old 01-12-2009, 10:38 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

ORIGINAL: tIANci

G'day mate! Just get a Thunder Tiger Pro 46, its tried and tested and it lasts as long as you don't abuse with it. Tuning her is easy as she is not all that fussy. The OS 46AX is nice too but costs a little more. On a cheaper note, the ASP46 or 52 is a good engine and here its 35% cheaper than a TT46. Used her and she is sweet.
I can't argue. It gives a lot more ooomph than a .40, not necessarily a need in a trainer (especially with a flat wing). I bought one in 2002 and it has outlived three former airframes, flown in every month of the year (not bad in NY!) and is currently doing hard time in a Goldberg Hot Stik. I crashed it hard and sent it back to the U.S. service team asking if anything could be done and they sent it back with a new piston and sleeve. I crashed it again and stripped the needle post threads on the carb and swapped the carb for a Perry. That added 10% to an already hot engine.

I'm VERY pleased with my TT Pro-46

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki19211.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	28.0 KB
ID:	1109762  
Old 01-12-2009, 11:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

aeroaus is in Australia ... waaaaaay on the otherside of the world from Hobby People ... but at USD47 is a steal!
Old 01-12-2009, 11:19 PM

Thunder Tiger Pro .46 Without a doubt. I have two of them and I really could not ask for an easier to live with little motor. It is a little screamer and is incredibly easy to tune and handle. I would not buy another .46 on the market today. I am not saying that there is not other great engines out there in this class but this one is the best in my opinion. Just go check the user reviews here at RCU and I think you will see most people agree.
Old 01-13-2009, 12:25 AM
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: tIANci

aeroaus is in Australia ... waaaaaay on the otherside of the world from Hobby People ... but at USD47 is a steal!
Yup. The Hobby People sale those two suggested is a nice idea, but HP doesn't ship internationally to my knowledge.

As to what motor... if you can afford it, get a ball-bearing .46. If you want to spend a little less, look at a Thunder Tiger GP .42. You don't have to spend a fortune to get a good engine.
Old 01-13-2009, 12:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

O.S .90 AX. Just kidding, Just about any .46 sized engine will work fine, just make sure to get ball bearing. Like a few have said the Magnum .46 engine on sale thru Hobby People is a steal. You can't go wrong with it. Just don't get in too much of a hurry to fly and do a proper break-in and it will be a good reliable engine. I already have 2 ASP .46's or I would snatch one up too.
Old 01-13-2009, 01:46 AM
My Feedback: (2)

I'll throw another mention in for Thunder Tiger's outstanding GP-42 plain bearing engine. Most pilots think plain bearing engines are weak because they've only tried O.S. Max LA series engines. The .46 LA isn't too bad, but the old .40 LA from O.S. Max almost single handedly turned a whole generation of pilots off of plain bearing engines.

The GP-42 is dead solid reliable, durable, and easy to tune. It's similar in power to many other sport engines in the .40 ~ .46 size range. Plain bearing engines like the GP-42 have no ball bearings to rust so they require very little effort to maintain them and they're a great choice for seaplanes and float flying.

Many .40-size trainer ARFs fly better with lighter weight engines and may tend to land faster and heavier with a ball bearing .46 two stroke.

Good luck and good shopping!
Old 01-13-2009, 01:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

a ST 45 or 50 are great for the price, the 55ax is another superb engine for a .40 size airplane
Old 01-14-2009, 07:20 AM

thanks guys, you cant get TT 46pro here anymore, does anyone know if they will replace it?
Old 01-14-2009, 12:23 PM
My Feedback: (18)

ORIGINAL: aeroaus

thanks guys, you cant get TT 46pro here anymore, does anyone know if they will replace it?
If you order it from Tower Hobbies they will ship it to you there in Australia. http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXKF97&P=0

I'll throw another mention in for Thunder Tiger's outstanding GP-42 plain bearing engine. Most pilots think plain bearing engines are weak because they've only tried O.S. Max LA series engines. The .46 LA isn't too bad, but the old .40 LA from O.S. Max almost single handedly turned a whole generation of pilots off of plain bearing engines.
When they say "plain bearing" its actually a bushing. Sort of like the main bearings in an automotive crankshaft, but these aren't as sophisticated. Having said that, the little gp 42 will power your trainer very well. http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXKF92&P=0

Check out the other engines that they have, Super Tigre makes a good one as well for a good price. I hear their carburetors are a little harder to set right though.