Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

OUTLAW no more...

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

OUTLAW no more...

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 07:22 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: OUTLAW no more...

For all the AMA haters out there who very likely are unaware of the fact that chartering an AMA club provides as the charter process Primary (not secondary) insurance for a named property holder of a listed flying site by the club.

Our field is owned by the municiple airport and what this means is the first year I did not personally truck over to the Airport Authority office the insurance declaration papers nameing the airport authority we would be out on our butts, its as simple as that. There is no way we could ever provide sufficient primary insurance for the landowner any other way nor would we have ever been able to acquire our wonderful site 15 years ago without the AMA.

I suspect this is not an unusual situation all across the US and many other clubs. So remember its wonderful that some may enjoy flying in their back yard but trying to destroy the AMA with uninformed grumbling could also destroy a large number of fields all accross the US and that indeed could seriously affect the market and perhaps you may not have as many neet airplanes to fly in your backyard anymore.

Just a slightly different perspective.

John
Old 02-09-2009, 08:43 PM
flaminheli

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Stuntpilot51

ORIGINAL: flaminheli

Outlaw For Life!! The nearest club to me is about 35 minutes away. Why drive all the way to it when I can drive 2 minutes and fly. Let me ask this question. What does a club or the AMA have to offer me, besides insurance. Seeing how I would be giving them money every year, what will they be giving me? Are they going to send me a new plane or engine everytime I pay my dues?

Flaminheli,
Some of us are not so fortunate to have a flying field 2 minutes from there house. I find it amazing that you expect the AMA to buy you a plane just because you send them dues, does your car insurance company buy you a new car just because you send them money? how about your health insurance company? Maybe your bank credit card gives you a $1000 shopping spree just because you pay an annual fee. I've never heard a more dumb response than the one you gave.

Let me tell you what a club gives you, the chance to meet people with the same passion for flying that you have, a safe place to fly, a place where there's someone to take you to the hospital when you chop your finger off flying by yourself. A place where you can enter competitions to test your skill against other people. Or could it be your afraid of flying in front of other people.
I do not have anything against the AMA or anyone who is a member. I am not an AMA hater. I simply have the joy of flying locally and not having to join anything to do it. Yes, my insurance companies reward me every year for not filing a claim, by lowering my rates. Two years ago my Home and Auto insurance provider sent me a $100.00 gift card for being such a good customer by not filing any claims and keeping a perfect driving record. My credit card company gives me reward points. Not that any of this has anything to do with the AMA, I was just aswering a question.
Old 02-09-2009, 09:13 PM
MikeL
My Feedback: (3)

I got a gold star once for not messing my pants. Not that it has anything to do with the AMA...
Old 02-09-2009, 09:42 PM
flaminheli

Good one.
Old 02-09-2009, 10:07 PM
Phoenixangel

I just joined the AMA. I called and talked to one of the guys at a semi close club, for $10 a month and the willingness to mow once a year I have unlimited access to an AMA sanctioned field with NO trees in sight a 300x25ft concrete runway and a covered pit area. It also has a nice set of bleachers for folks to watch events and such

AMA $58

Club $10 month

Place to fly with no hassles...........friggin priceless

nuff said...

Old 02-09-2009, 11:33 PM
sportrider_fz6

ORIGINAL: Phoenixangel

I just joined the AMA. I called and talked to one of the guys at a semi close club, for $10 a month and the willingness to mow once a year I have unlimited access to an AMA sanctioned field with NO trees in sight a 300x25ft concrete runway and a covered pit area. It also has a nice set of bleachers for folks to watch events and such

AMA $58

Club $10 month

Place to fly with no hassles...........friggin priceless

nuff said...

that's them same way I see it too.

hey now I actually have a place to fly that 1/4scale cub I've been wanting
Old 02-10-2009, 09:17 AM
flyinrog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Between the club dues and the ama its about $11/month....problem is, its all due at the end of the year, when its also xmas, and taxes are due and work is slow so, its just another problem and people tend to complain,,,a few years back , I hated the mag and made the same complaint, charge me $20 and keep the mag, but actually the more I read it,, the more I find interesting about it...lots going on in the industry of modeling,,1 gram planes, new helicopters, ducted fan electric jets....and more coming all the time...I have 1 or 2 1/2A (.049) pylon races/flyins a year, just got my first electric heli...Rog
Old 02-10-2009, 10:48 AM
KW_Counter

Sportrider,
Did you join the Coachella Valley or Imperial Valley club?
KW_Counter
Ex member of Imperial Valley club
Old 02-10-2009, 11:42 AM
Masonhornet

ORIGINAL: flyinrog

Between the club dues and the ama its about $11/month....problem is, its all due at the end of the year, when its also xmas, and taxes are due and work is slow so, its just another problem and people tend to complain,,,a few years back , I hated the mag and made the same complaint, charge me $20 and keep the mag, but actually the more I read it,, the more I find interesting about it...lots going on in the industry of modeling,,1 gram planes, new helicopters, ducted fan electric jets....and more coming all the time...I have 1 or 2 1/2A (.049) pylon races/flyins a year, just got my first electric heli...Rog

Funny, I felt the same way about the magazine. I thought it was stuffy and boring, now I read it cover to cover, then look forward to the next issue. There's a lot of neat history in there as well...

Old 02-12-2009, 12:49 AM
sportrider_fz6

I actually moved recently to Redlands, and I'm planning on joining AMAA "chino flyers" on san timoteo canyon. there having a club meeting this sunday and I figure I'll go and see how it goes from there. I'm new to the club thing, but if it's anything like being on the forum I'll probably enjoy the knowledge and people that come with it
Old 02-15-2009, 11:27 AM
KW_Counter

Sportrider,
Are you up for that much civilization and culture?
Salton City to Redlands is a big jump.
(I used to live in El Centro.)
Good Luck,
KW_Counter
Old 02-16-2009, 02:03 AM
skyraider71

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just hope all of the "outlaws" out there are flying with 2.4 gear.
Old 02-16-2009, 05:50 PM
Live Wire

Who is really the OUTLAW.
My club droped AMA charter[:@] Hope we can get more members any way that is the thinking of some of the members.
the old RC OUTLAW
Old 02-17-2009, 01:12 AM
sportrider_fz6

your telling me, I never realized how nice it is to "run" down to the store without calling it a day trip.