Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

I found a plane

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

I found a plane

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2002, 12:28 PM
r0564789

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I found a plane

Bare with me. I found this really old plane. It has the fuslage, tail assembled; as well as the wing (the wing looks like it attaches with rubber bands). It has linkage (I dont know if this is what these are called, correct if I am wrong) that controls the flaps on the tail. Is it possible to figure out based on the size of the plane, what size engine and radio I would need to fly it? It seems to be in decent shape. I think some of the covering needs to be replaced. Any thoughts? Or is this more trouble that it is worth?
Old 10-31-2002, 01:00 PM
dr_wogz
My Feedback: (3)

Default I found a plane

Good find! Was it from a feild?! haha...

Probably the best thing is to visit your local feild, and get thier opinions..

You'll need to take some basic measurements first, to determine it's size, engine required, etc...

What is the wingspan? (Tip to tip)
what is the wing chord? (distance from teh front [leading edge] of the wing to the back [trailing edge)
Wing type? (Is it a flat botoom, somewhat flat, or is teh wing top & bottom the same curveature?)
Does the wing taper to ythe tips?
Does the wing attach to the bottom or the top of the fuselage?

How long is the fuse?
You should see some place where teh radio gear is to be installed. you should see a few rectangular cut-outs with screw holes at each end, you shoul dtipically see three of these cut-outs (one for rudder, one for elevator, and one for throttle)

The fuse length, the wing span and the weight will give you an idea of what size engine you'll need. Post again, and we'll all make a guess for you.

Radios are pretty much all the same, except for trhe really big planes, which require larger servos & batteries. You'll need a typical 4-channel.

Sounds like you may have a trainer type airplane.

How much covering needs replacing? there might be some internal damage.. Again, take it to the local feild, and have an experinced pilot look at it.

The front of the plane, where the engine should mount to, should be close to verticle or close to horizontal.

if it is close to vert, you'll need to buy an engine mount. there should be four (typical) hole to which the engine mount screws to. thre should also be a hole for a pushrod to exit, as well as two holes for fuel lines

If is close to horizontal, thre should be a cut out (slightly pointing to the right) with four holes. this is whre the engine mounts to. (No engine mount needed.) Again, the three holes for pushrod & 2 fuel lines.

That should be a good start. Post again with some more info..
Old 10-31-2002, 02:45 PM
r0564789

Default I found a plane

Thanks for your reply!

I do have 2 of the measurements. I found the plane in the garage, it was left by the previous owner. From what I have seen it does look like a typical trainer plane.

Details:
Fuselage 40"
Wing sapn 69"
wing chord dont know yet
The wing does taper towards the tips
It attaches to the top of the fuse.
the center of the fuse os open i guess for receiver and servos