Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
 CG PT-40 >

CG PT-40

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

CG PT-40

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 05:37 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CG PT-40

Tried to balance the CG of my PT-40 and it’s very tail heavy I moved the Evolution .46 as far forward on the mount as possible still very tail heavy the only way to balance was to place a 14oz empty coffee mug on the top hatch. I used a lot of epoxy on the tail but can’t imagine I put on that much weight. Will a plane fly with a 1/2lb or more added weight on the nose?
Old 03-21-2009, 05:41 PM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: CG PT-40

Hell, you could add 5lbs to that thing and it will still fly.
Old 03-21-2009, 07:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just make absolutely sure you are using the right CG measurement. I built a plane once that I thought was very nose heavy so I added a lot of weight in the tail to get it to balance where I had marked the CG. Turns out I must have gotten the CG numbers mixed up in my head because it was a very short flight. I made the thing so tail heavy that it was pretty much uncontrollable. It took me an hour to find the wreckage.
Old 03-21-2009, 07:18 PM
My Feedback: (6)

What kind of battery are you using and where is it? I have an Os .40 on mine using a square futaba 600mah pack and I had to add weight to the tail. Sounds like you need to move something or your Cg # is incorrect. I'm sure you've checked but I believe its 4 1/4" behind LE.
Old 03-22-2009, 08:03 AM
My Feedback: (1)

All of the electronics are as far fowerd as can be bat. servo, rec. Etc...
Old 03-22-2009, 09:07 AM

Do you have everything installed (servos, receiver, wheels, tank, battery, etc, etc)? The last I heard from you, you told me you had to wait two weeks before ordering your radio system.

The plane has to be completely ready to fly with everything installed before you do the CG balance. And balance it with an empty fuel tank.

If you have a flat battery pack can you slide it underneath the fuel tank compartment to get the weight of it full forward? Your .46 engine will pull that plane around nicely, even with the 1/2lb of weight added. 1/2lb is nothing really.

Try these, they are great.
[link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXK204&P=7]LEAD WEIGHTS[/link]
[link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXK246&P=7]SPINNER WEIGHTS[/link]