Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

OS .61 with pump? supercharged?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

OS .61 with pump? supercharged?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 12:43 PM
blhollo2
My Feedback: (278)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OS .61 with pump? supercharged?

I just traded for a OS .61 engine with pump on the backside of it, does this mean its supercharged? I dont know anything about supercharged r/c airplane engines and any info on this engoine would be great
Old 04-03-2009, 01:09 PM
Hrannar

Default RE: OS .61 with pump? supercharged?

No, it means that it has a pump to draw fuel from the tank instead of using pressure from the muffler. Make sure you have a vent on the tank though, or you´ll be wondering why the tank is flat as a pancake after a flight
Old 04-03-2009, 01:22 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

Supercharging requires work from the crankshaft to compress air, and then feeding it into the combustion chamber. So far the only engines I've seen with a supercharging system have a big 'box' on the back of the engine where the compressed air and fuel are mixed prior to entering the cylinder.

This is different than a pump, although the engines with superchargers tend to also have some type of pump or pressurized and regulated fuel system as well.
Old 04-03-2009, 02:22 PM
blhollo2

ok so what type of fuel tank do i need so its doesnt get flat as a pancake the engine is a OS .61 with pump and i have a super charged YS F-91 AC
Old 04-03-2009, 02:50 PM
Lnewqban

A regular engine receives fuel at the carburetor that is pulled by certain vacuum in it and exhaust pressure in the tank.

A pump moves that fuel mechanically into the carburetor, not needing the exhaust pressure in the tank.
In this case, the pressure inside the tank should be the atmospheric pressure; hence, it should vent freely to the atmosphere.
A pump keeps fuel reaching the carburetor at a constant rate for any position of the model.

A supercharged engine receives air at the carburetor that is pushed by a blower or air pump.
A supercharger helps the engine receive more air-fuel mix than it would suck by itself, increasing the power.

You may receive more answers if you post at the Glow Engines section.
Old 04-03-2009, 03:18 PM
overbored77
My Feedback: (11)

Run the pressure line from the tank outside the fuse, leaving open to astmospheric pressure. Simple as that, you don't need a special tank or anything.
the advantage of the pumped setup is that it is a mechanical pump and allows a constant fuel pressure. the pressure line (would have run from muffler
fitting to tank) is now a vent, it allows the tank to vent, if this line is not open it will cause the tank build vacuum and "pancake".
Old 04-03-2009, 03:27 PM
Stuntpilot51

The pumped O.S. 61 will also have a fuel return line. Your tank will be a three line setup, fuel pickup, fuel return and vent.

Is this the engine?

Attached Images  
Old 04-03-2009, 05:05 PM
blhollo2

yep thats it! i think im going to sale it, i dont need a pump per say
Old 04-03-2009, 05:30 PM
Stuntpilot51

That's a excellent engine, One of the best engines I own. The only problem is the pump parts are no longer available.

If it's NIB it should bring around $150-$175 on e-bay or here at RCU.
Old 04-04-2009, 01:12 AM
jrcaster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only engines I know of that are supercharged are the YS line. They draw fuel/air into the crankcase and compress it into the charge box before it makes it into the cylinder. Even before they started supercharging, YS was the only 4 stroke engine that ran the fuel/air into the crankcase.
Old 04-04-2009, 09:33 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have the same pumper in a 1.20. Great engines unless something goes wrong with the pump itself, the pump is the old style and no parts are made for it any longer. Once you know how to set one up they are easy to operate and the big plus is you can install your fuel tank anyplace in the plane, even dead center over the CG. Don't worry about sucking down a fuel tank, that's just silly!!! If you have a plugged vent line the engine just quits running. You can draw more pressure with your mouth, set up a fuel tank, plug it and try to draw the tank down by sucking with your mouth. Don't you think the little thin fuel line will close up first?? Just some more on line BS!!
Old 04-04-2009, 12:29 PM
Hrannar

ORIGINAL: Gray Beard

I have the same pumper in a 1.20. Great engines unless something goes wrong with the pump itself, the pump is the old style and no parts are made for it any longer. Once you know how to set one up they are easy to operate and the big plus is you can install your fuel tank anyplace in the plane, even dead center over the CG. Don't worry about sucking down a fuel tank, that's just silly!!! If you have a plugged vent line the engine just quits running. You can draw more pressure with your mouth, set up a fuel tank, plug it and try to draw the tank down by sucking with your mouth. Don't you think the little thin fuel line will close up first?? Just some more on line BS!!
Online BS you say, how about this?

Old 04-04-2009, 12:52 PM
Stuntpilot51

Wow! Never seen a tank like that before.
Old 04-04-2009, 01:21 PM
jrcaster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Hrannar

Online BS you say, how about this?

Look a little more closely and you will notice that the setup is for Gasoline, and not for glow fuel.
Old 04-04-2009, 07:35 PM
roltech

I have one too, One thing I have learn is never take the pump apart to check it You may never get it going again, If it has been sitting for some time and can't get to run properly take the plug out and run alchol through it for some time to clear old fuel from the pump. and then try it again. I was told to take it apart and massage the diaphram lightly with pretrolium jelly and reassemble. But no luck it's factory ajusted and an attemp to service it could lead to no good results. before doing anything if it don't work get as much info you can or get it to someone who can realy get it going. I finaly got mine going but had to replace the pump , with a crank cover, but can no longer use it for what it was ment to do as placement of fuel tank anywhere. Otherwise it's a great motor. hope this helps if you can't get it going.

roltech
Old 04-04-2009, 11:13 PM
Gray Beard

And it's a home made from a juice bottle!!!!!!!!!!! Spend the money and buy a Dubro!
Old 04-05-2009, 06:10 AM
Stuntpilot51

And it's a home made from a juice bottle!!!!!!!!!!! Spend the money and buy a Dubro!

I was thinking the same thing!
Old 04-05-2009, 09:54 PM
blhollo2

can anyone help me or tell me how to install this engine correctly? its diffrent from my normal 2 strokers
Old 04-06-2009, 06:35 AM
Stuntpilot51

You have to be more specific in what you need to know.
Old 04-06-2009, 09:55 AM
Gray Beard

People seem to forget we have manufacture support right here on RCU. If you go into the gas engine forum then go into the sub forum, glow engines you will find factory reps for most major brands of engines. For OS we have Bill Baxter. Bill knows the OS line of engines forwards and backwards. I'm sure Bill can give you and anyone on the net all the facts you need and probably bring up the photos to clear things up for you. Nice guy, has helped me out a few times when I have had questions. Give it a try.
Old 04-06-2009, 04:09 PM
blhollo2

i dont see it