Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

New to 2.4 anything I should know about/ maiden flight today

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

New to 2.4 anything I should know about/ maiden flight today

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 05:56 PM
Phoenixangel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to 2.4 anything I should know about/ maiden flight today

Guys I picked up a Hanger 9 P-51 PTS at the local hobby shop today, they were on sale for $300 because of the DX6i included has a refurbished sticker on them.

Is there anything I need to know about the 2.4 system and or evo engines before I take it up. It says I do not have to break this engine in. That just seems wrong to me.

This is my first venture into 2.4.
Old 04-08-2009, 06:16 PM
twostroke
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: New to 2.4 anything I should know about???

I was also wonder on the 2.4 it any receiver will work or if you have to stay with the same brand?
Old 04-08-2009, 06:16 PM
MetallicaJunkie

you'll be fine with 2.4...just make sure you follow the binding procedures... as far as glow Evolution engines, im not fond of them, ill never own one.......almost every who uses Evolution where i fly has problems with them
Old 04-08-2009, 06:20 PM
MinnFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Well, I'll disagree with that. I have several Evo glow engines and I love them all
Old 04-08-2009, 06:26 PM
Phoenixangel

I am sure that soon there will be many options for a 2.4 rx, right now the manual says I have to use spektrum, the guy at the hobby shop says he uses a JR rx with his spektum tx, it was another customer so I don't know how accurate he was being.
Old 04-08-2009, 06:38 PM
alfredbmor

JR and spectrum use the same DSM2 codes in the 2.4 Ghz band, while Futaba uses other "hoping" codes, then you may not use (as always) Futaba with JR Tx and Rx. They use the same band but not necessarily know what they are "talking" about.
Old 04-08-2009, 09:01 PM
Stick 40

yes the JR and spectrum are the same , you can use eather rx.

I have a evo .46 and it runs great. I got it used on a plane ( a very new slowpoke) and have flow it 10 to 20 times and not a problem. I was talking to Minnflyer at the toledo show and he was telling me how to set the carb. Hay minnflyer, just noticed your on here, how about that way to set the carb. on the evo engines???

sticks
Old 04-08-2009, 09:04 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

I've seen 4 of those evo engines this past summer; 2 on the H9 P51 and 2 on the H9 jet looking plane. They have all been replaced by their owners. Evolution engines has a weight they add to the prop shaft to give you a 'flywheel effect', and they also have limiters on how you can adjust the needles. All of this seems to be more problematic that it's worth. None of the Evos I saw were actually tuned right, and they wouldn't let the owner/instructors tune them properly without removal of the limiter.

I will neve own one, either.

As far as 2.4ghz, it's really nice. Just read the directions and follow them.
Old 04-08-2009, 09:52 PM
Phoenixangel

Well the limiters are gone, and the flaps are installed and functional, I am not sure about the droops. I suppose they help prevent a tip stall while landing. They sure are ugly on a good lookin bird. I think I will leave them on for the first few flights until the flaps prove themselves at high altitude anyway. There are some stinking wrinkles under them that are going to drive me insane. I tightened up the rest of the covering man she looks good.

Except the wrinkles under the freaking ugly droops................
Old 04-08-2009, 11:16 PM
draftman1

as far as 2.4, make sure your batteries are good. I dont know how the spectrum works but my futaba , on a low reciever battery, will cut the throttle. I didnt know this and I was going nuts to try to find out why I was deadsticking just after takeoff. well it was a bad battery pack. I check all of my batterys now. its just one of those things you dont think about because it just doesnt happen very often
Old 04-08-2009, 11:31 PM
brett65
My Feedback: (18)

Lose the droops, you won't need them.

What hobby shop did u get them at, sounds like a heck of a deal.
Old 04-09-2009, 02:40 AM
f_shawn68

The droops will be nice for you to start out with. I noticed a big difference when I took them off. The evo engine is a great little engine. Just make sure you loctite the muffler assembly. Remove the limiter and have an experienced pilot/club member tune it for you and you should be fine. The guys who helped me learn to fly also learned on the PTS mustang and we ran about a half of a tank through the engine on the ground to get it tuned and then we put it in the air. I have 3 gallons through it without an issue. Other than the muffler bolts coming loose.
As for the 2.4. Enjoy the fact that you dont have to check the frequency board and chase down the pilot who is using the same freq.
Old 04-09-2009, 03:12 AM
victorzamora

Some people like Evo's, some don't. I have an Evo .36 and am happy with it. However, I'm a huge OS fan and will never not have an OS in my hangar. Evo's are good, they're just not as powerful or as reliable as OS's. I feel like the OS engines are slightly more robust as well.

Spektrum is just fine, but you have to use JR/Spektrum (they're the same technology) with that receiver.
Old 04-09-2009, 03:34 AM
rcjetflyer0718-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

use a high amp receiver battery 1500 mah or larger with the Spectrum 2.4 because if your voltage drops below 4.0 volts under load your receiver will reboot and you won't have control. you might even consider a 5 cell battery
Old 04-09-2009, 06:27 AM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

Evo's are a love-hate situation. I don't particularly like them for reasons I've posted here before, so I won't go into it. Some guys love them, which is just fine. If yours runs well, OK. If it does not, well, there's always OS.

CGr.
Old 04-11-2009, 06:11 PM
Phoenixangel

took this thing out for its maiden today, left the droops on it for the first flight/landing, wow what a dog in trainer mode this thing is lol I would tell anyone looking into a trainer to go for it if they like the P-51 it was far more docile then my hobbistar ever thought about being. I took it up did about 3 left hands, got it trimmed and hit the flap switch, worked beautifully. Touches down at a nice slow 20ish no tendency to stall whatsoever not much ground effect.

Put it on the bench yanked the droops off of it, put an MA 10x7 on the miracle fruit slicer end, cranked the throws up to scary, added expo until comfy, tuned engine with new prop. hit the runway, and flew some circles around the ole boys from the club, until Carl showed up with his ultrasport anyway LOL

this is a great plane in my opinion, I would tell anyone looking to get into the hobby that wants a trainer, a low wing trainer, and an all out sport plane...pick one up fast

(edit) > get ready to use right rudder as soon as the tail picks up off the ground when getting airborn.
Old 04-11-2009, 06:17 PM
wings

ORIGINAL: alfredbmor

JR and spectrum use the same DSM2 codes in the 2.4 Ghz band, while Futaba uses other "hoping" codes, then you may not use (as always) Futaba with JR Tx and Rx. They use the same band but not necessarily know what they are "talking" about.

Here is some more info on [link=http://www.hooked-on-rc-airplanes.com/spread-spectrum.html]Spektrum vs. Futaba[/link] if you really want to know the "nerdy" details, lol.

Main thing to know is FASST and DSM2 are NOT compatible...

Old 04-11-2009, 10:10 PM
yukonpete
My Feedback: (4)

I have 1 Evo .61nt. Good running engine but the muffler is junk and falls apart after a few hours of running. I replaced the muffler twice so this has turned me off evo engines for good or until I see a better muffler. I fly Super Tigres and love them!