Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Scale model

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Scale model

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 08:57 PM
WWIIbirds

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scale model

When i first bought my corsair i was so excited because i thought it was the closest thing i could get to a real one. I really like the idea of authenticity but after checking out the forums i realize that there is so much that my plane lacks and the effort people put in to build scale models its almost upsetting that im building something ill want to do over again to add the features of fuctioning lights, folding wings, retractable landing gear, so on and so fourth... is it common to do the same plane again later on once you gain more experience?

also i figure if theres a way to make a funtioning canopy i'd like to try that even possible lights if its not to late in my construction. what would be the best forum to find out how i could do these modifications?

thanks
-Matt
Old 04-09-2009, 09:11 PM
Mode One

Default RE: Scale model

...is it common to do the same plane again later on once you gain more experience? Absolutly and you will get the next one much closer to what you want and it will be easier to do.
Old 04-09-2009, 10:15 PM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You bet it is common. You will make mental lists of what you want and do some research on how to do what you want and then you will build the plane. Scale modeling goes as far as you want it to and is only limited by your desire. Good Luck, Dave
Old 04-09-2009, 10:30 PM
WWIIbirds

well it certainly makes the... sport more interesting more challenging. I just find it upsetting at the moment because i've put all this time into this corsair only to know that ill want to buy another and put all these extra features into it. seems like i've wasted my time.
Old 04-09-2009, 10:43 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

I have found nothing in this hobby to be a complete waste of time. Sometimes things get frustrating, but there is always something worth while that comes out of a project. I've had something like 8 projects between last May and now and at the very least I learned some lessons and techniques.

Your next Corsair will benefit greatly from this experience. In the mean time, finish your project and have some fun flying it.
Old 04-09-2009, 10:50 PM
WWIIbirds

mhm thanks everyone!
Old 04-09-2009, 11:02 PM
jrcaster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do I smell a Black Sheep in here?

Finish this one without all the scale mods. That way it won't be so scary to fly. Some people invest years in one model with all of the scale detail, and adding detail also adds weight. And before you go and add the scale lighting package you may want to research what was installed from the factory back in WWII.

And when you decide to go all out on scale, you will probably want to go bigger.

Baah, Baah, Baah.
Old 04-10-2009, 05:54 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: WWIIbirds

well it certainly makes the... sport more interesting more challenging. I just find it upsetting at the moment because i've put all this time into this corsair only to know that ill want to buy another and put all these extra features into it. seems like i've wasted my time.

Don't become upset. As others have stated, many of us build a second version of our favorite models.

The newest version incorporates improvements over the previous model plus your skills and techniques will become greater.

In every model I build, I try new techniques to improve my skills, trying to make each new model better than the last. There is a learning curve involved. Don't try to do everything at once. Doing so will only lead to disappointment.
Old 04-10-2009, 06:07 AM
rwright142

I don't know if it is common but I'm working on my 3rd Corsair. Here's a link to a group build where we are trying to make this one as detailed as we can:
[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7335038/mpage_1/key_/tm.htm]1/6 Scale F4U Corsair Group Build [/link]
Old 04-10-2009, 08:12 AM
smithcreek
My Feedback: (25)

Just wondering, what did you buy? Kit? Arf? Size?
Old 04-10-2009, 09:11 AM
Nathan King

Finish this one and fly the hell out of it. That way you'll get really good flying the Corsair and be able to keep the really nice one in great shape.
Old 04-10-2009, 10:09 AM
Stickbuilder

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Common to build 2 of the same plane? I don't know about that, but I'm on my 10th Waco YMF in a row, with several more coming along behind this one. I figure that I'll eventually get it right.

Bill, Waco Brother #1
Old 04-10-2009, 09:07 PM
bingo field

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

http://www.tompierce.net/SBD/html/recon.htm

Start reading on this first page, and follow all the way to the end. It is a primer on building scale, and how far to go in doing it. There are some very good details in these write ups. Beautiful pictures of the progress from start to finish.

Good luck!
Old 04-10-2009, 10:47 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

And if you can, go to some IMAA events and Scale Masters qualifiers, look and talk to the builders. Take gangs of photos. The F4U is one of the planes you see a lot of, not as many as P-51s but quite a few.
Old 04-10-2009, 10:57 PM
bigtim
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if I recall WWIIbirds is building a great planes Corsair, which is a bit on the small side to be adding alot of scale details to, its one of those kits you build to fly, and have fun with, not turn into a flying brick with a bunch of extra stuff.

learn how to fly a warbird and think about the next step in the progression, enjoy the little corsair fly it repair it if necessary, and use it to build up your skills, alot of those guys in the warbird, and scale forums have many practice planes under there belt, before there producing scale masters projects for sure.

also most of those planes are 65-100 inch wingspan planes weighing 10-35lbs so adding a little extra weight doesn't affect the flying charictaristics as much, as a 5-6lb plane would be with just a extra pound or 2 to it.

definatly read Tom Pierces threads he has a Dauntless, and a FW190 build worth checking out his detail work is top notch.
Old 04-10-2009, 10:58 PM
Jetdesign

Have any of you seen a model plane take off and/or land from a model aircraft carrier? That would be pretty nifty[8D]
Old 04-10-2009, 11:03 PM
bigtim
My Feedback: (13)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

there used to be a model airshow called "striking back" it had alot of different warbird related displays including simulated attacks and explosions,including a miniture aircraft carrier.
I don't think its done any more but there is some video out there if you can find it of strafing runs and explosions.
Old 04-10-2009, 11:11 PM
Jetdesign

ORIGINAL: bigtim

there used to be a model airshow called "striking back" it had alot of different warbird related displays including simulated attacks and explosions,including a miniture aircraft carrier.
I don't think its done any more but there is some video out there if you can find it of strafing runs and explosions.
Absolutely incredible!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBz8_5hvxWM

Here's something else that's good for a laugh:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKGV-...om=PL&index=26
Old 04-11-2009, 12:36 AM
jrcaster

You posted the same link twice. Looks like loads of fun though.
Old 04-11-2009, 07:25 AM
Jetdesign

fixed.
Old 04-11-2009, 07:38 AM
acobra
My Feedback: (40)

Any scale model is never finished.......you just quit building on it and fly it.
Old 04-11-2009, 10:05 AM
Gray Beard

Joe, how cool was that!!! I had seen that show so many times over the years in magazines and that was the first time I have ever seen it on video. 1988, you must have had to dig around to find that!
Old 04-11-2009, 11:26 AM
jrcaster

That second video kinda makes you want to go out and buy a pontoon boat.

I think I would call that the fish and fly.
Old 04-11-2009, 11:54 AM
DGUY
My Feedback: (9)

Tom Pierce's Dauntless is a work of art plain and simply amazing. To all of you guys that do strive to go the extra mile with scale details my hat is off to you, all of you.
I just admire a great scale model. I know that it has to be hard to do all of that tedious work and then put it in the air. It takes guts to do that. I don't know if I could do it. I would like to do a scale project and when I have the time I am going to do a Corsair. It has to be one of if not my favorite warbird from any era. Thanks guys for all the hard work.
Old 04-11-2009, 02:11 PM
Gray Beard

A question to the OP, what size kit and what kit manufacture did you get?? You spoke of folding wings and running lights. Do you plan on flying this plane?? Some of these mods takes the skill of a true master builder, not just the local club builder and working folding wings are a true feat of engineering. Zirolli kits and plans are the number one for scale planes and they really take a lot to get one as scale as you are talking. Just wondering because this is a 96 inch giant scale but the size is one of the reasons it is used so often for true scale building.