Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

Identify this plane, help?

Community
Search
Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

Identify this plane, help?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2003, 08:17 PM
ohcustoms
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Identify this plane, help?

hello, i'm just getting started in this hobby, i take my first flight this thursday, if the weather permits. i'm leaning more toward the hanger 9 pizazz, but i love the war planes, i went out and bought a P-51 kit, now the plane i want, i can't find, its the navy plane, thats all i know about it, it has the bent wings. lol, please don't laugh, like i said, just a newbie here. any info would be appreciated. and possibly where i could orderr one, arf or builder kit. the local hobby shop looked at me like i was stupid. there idiots anyway.

thanks for the information in advance
Old 06-17-2003, 08:28 PM
jmayle

Bent wings?

The most famous "bent wing" airplane would have to be the F4U Corsair. It is the plane on the TV show Black Sheep Squadron. It had an inverted gull wing. I hope this help

Bob
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	87382_12970.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	6.7 KB
ID:	50809  
Old 06-17-2003, 08:50 PM
scottrc

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Hmmmmmm! Big blue navy plane with bent wings? And the hobby store thinks your stupid for not knowing what it is? I agree, they are jerks.

What you might be looking for is the Chance Vought F4U Corsair.

Be aware that there was also a navy jet called the A7 Corsair. So when doing a search, be sure to put in F4U.

A little trivia about the Corsair...

The Corsair was used by both the Navy and the Marines from late 1942 to 1958, the French flew the Corsair until 1962 and Brits also used the Corsair to help sink the German battleship Tripitz. The last active duty Corsair was flying with the Honduras Airforce in 1979.

Great Planes at Tower makes a great kit of a semi-scale Corsair that is the easiest to build and fly. Kyosho seems to make a good ARF. These are both .40 planes.

Look in the Warbirds forum for all the discussions about the Corsair. There is something about every kit and ARF that has been made. There are a lot of guys who really know this plane here on RCU.

I am presently building the PICA .60 semi scale laser cut kit. This too is a fine kit.

By the way, unless you have some stick and rudder time, do not attempt to fly the Corsair. This design is unforgiving while flying at low speeds and can be a bear to take off and land. I prefer Corsairs with flaps for easier control of my attitude and stall speed when landing.
Old 06-17-2003, 09:04 PM
impulse

LOL there is a ad on this thread for an corsair.

[IMG] [/IMG]
Old 06-17-2003, 10:12 PM
ohcustoms

THANKS, THATS THE ONE THE F4U, lol i didn't see the ad.

thanks for the help, now its off to ebay..............................
Old 06-18-2003, 01:04 AM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ohcustoms,

Welome to a GREAT hobby. There's a lot of good people, with years of experience willing to help you learn. Feel free to ask questions, but try the "Search" function first; most questions have been asked and answered numerous times.

Take a bit more advice and save the Corsair for a 3rd or 4th plane. Warbirds can be extremely touchy to fly, and until you've gained the experience you're quite likely to wind up with a pile of sticks.

I'm serious, most people are NOT ready for a warbird like the Corsair for at least a year. Many tak 2 or 3 years before moving up to this class of plane.

Dennis-
Old 06-18-2003, 03:34 AM
jettstarblue

Yo,
Fellow Ohioan, would that be Plymouth twp. in Ashtabula county?
Where are you flying from?
See the post about "old vs. new school"!
What kind of plane are you getting ready to fly? Do you have any help?!

Let me know.

Jetts
Old 06-18-2003, 10:54 AM
ohcustoms

north central ohio, plymouth in richland county, the local club has an air field close by, with in 3 min drive. starting with the avistar trainer. i got my p-51d today the electric one, going to try it out soon.
Old 06-18-2003, 12:26 PM
raptor5900
My Feedback: (4)

hehe impuls 100" wing span $1459.00.....or what ever the price was thats one hec of a bird.
Old 06-18-2003, 12:36 PM
RobStagis

Corsair trivia - the wings were bent in order to have short, robust landing gear for carrier work while still keeping the nose high enough for that hugemongous engine and prop.....
Old 06-18-2003, 01:44 PM
scottrc

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

A little more trivia.....

Although designers overcame the problem of clearing the prop, the visibility was extremely poor for the pilot since the front was so long, it made it difficult set up the glide slope on approach to a carrier. The Navy didn't like it and that was why the Marines ended up with the "Hosenose" to work off of island airbases.

More pilots were killed learning to fly the Corsair than by enemy action due to it's high power to weight ratio when taking off and poor low speed characteristics. A scale model is no different. Listen to others in this forum, this is not a model to start out on.

It was rumored that a rich Texan wanted to kill his wife. Since he new she fancied flying exotic airplanes, he bought her a Corsair, she torqued it over on takeoff and was killed. It was said he got away with a perfect crime.

Although the US Navy qualified the Corsair for carrier ops in early 1942, I think the British were the first to use it on carriers. The wings had to be shortened in order to clear the low ceilings of the British carriers. Don't be surprised when seeing a model in British markings that the wings look stubby.

Until the AD Skyraider, the Corsair was the most powerful plane in the Navy and was still the fastest prop plane 2nd to the Bearcat. It is really the muscle car of all airplanes. On models, I aways go with the most powerful motor that is rated for the design.

Sorry for rambling, but the Corsair has a very diversified history and I am glad to see it a favorite among modelers.